DT 770 Pros (Again) Or...?
post-8503771
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 13

newyorkcity

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Posts
28
Likes
0
Hello!
 
I've had my DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) for some years and I think its finally time to replace them.  I loved the sound in these headphones, especially the bass, and I have no complaints.
 
I would like to try something new but the more I search through these forums about the headphones I have been considering, the Denon D2000s I'm starting to wonder if I will be happy with the bass in them. Some other possibilities I have thought about are buying another pair of the DT 770 Pros + Velour Pads + Amp but not even sure what amp to even get.
 
I listen at home while working, so about 10+ hours of them being on my ears a day so comfort is very important.
 
 
Are there any other headphones I should consider? Any deals out there I should take a look at?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8503811
Post #2 of 13

PanamaHat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 14, 2011
Messages
819
Reaction score
30
Location
NYC
Joined
Dec 14, 2011
Location
NYC
Posts
819
Likes
30
Are you looking specifically for a closed or open can? Any specific genre you enjoy? Mostly home or on the go use? The denons are sure to please as they fare well with nearly all genres, but there are other options
 
     Share This Post       
post-8503921
Post #3 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
28,093
Reaction score
1,629
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
28,093
Likes
1,629
Quote:
 
I've had my DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) for some years and I think its finally time to replace them.  I loved the sound in these headphones, especially the bass, and I have no complaints.
 
I would like to try something new but the more I search through these forums about the headphones I have been considering, the Denon D2000s I'm starting to wonder if I will be happy with the bass in them. Some other possibilities I have thought about are buying another pair of the DT 770 Pros + Velour Pads + Amp but not even sure what amp to even get.
 
I listen at home while working, so about 10+ hours of them being on my ears a day so comfort is very important.
 
Are there any other headphones I should consider? Any deals out there I should take a look at?
What source(s) are you plugging your headphones into?
A better DAC & amp. might just add new life to your current DT770 Pro 80-ohm.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8503934
Post #4 of 13

newyorkcity

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Posts
28
Likes
0
It's for  home use, and I listen to mostly hip hop, alternative, and some rock music.
 
At the moment im plugging my headphones directly into my mac pro and sometimes my macbook air
 
     Share This Post       
post-8504035
Post #5 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
28,093
Reaction score
1,629
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
28,093
Likes
1,629
Quote:
It's for  home use, and I listen to mostly hip hop, alternative, and some rock music.
 
At the moment I'm plugging my headphones directly into my mac pro and sometimes my Macbook air
Apple products seem to come with decent support for audio, so the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are being decently driven.
Could try a Little Dot 1 + Hybrid for driving the DT770s
 
AKG K550 should be an improvement in sound, I would assume would work plugged straight into the apple stuff, but not as much bass as the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
I'm stumped.
 
Did you have a budget in mind?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8504310
Post #6 of 13

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2011
Messages
552
Reaction score
19
Joined
Sep 16, 2011
Posts
552
Likes
19
You will love the 2k's or 5k's the only thing is that they don't block out any noise at all compared to the 770's
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8505287
Post #7 of 13

newyorkcity

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:
Apple products seem to come with decent support for audio, so the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are being decently driven.
Could try a Little Dot 1 + Hybrid for driving the DT770s
 
AKG K550 should be an improvement in sound, I would assume would work plugged straight into the apple stuff, but not as much bass as the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
I'm stumped.
 
Did you have a budget in mind?
 
I want to spend between $200 and $300 but curious to what I can get for maybe up to $400
Quote:
You will love the 2k's or 5k's the only thing is that they don't block out any noise at all compared to the 770's
 
How is the bass compared to the 770s? What do you mean by they don't block out any noise at all?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8505317
Post #8 of 13

AppleDappleman

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
311
Reaction score
15
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Posts
311
Likes
15
If it means anything, I thought the Fiio E17 drove the DT770 just well. I'm actually selling my HD650 and Lyr so I can rebuy the E17 with the GR07 again since its such a great product. 

 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8505410
Post #9 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
28,093
Reaction score
1,629
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
28,093
Likes
1,629
Quote:
 
I want to spend between $200 and $300 but curious to what I can get for maybe up to $400
How is the bass compared to the 770s? What do you mean by they don't block out any noise at all?
How about selling off the DT770 Pro 80-ohm and getting the DT770- Pro 250-Ohm, little more clarity, touch less bass.
Used DT770 250-Ohm are $180 new and $150 used.
Selling off the 80-Ohm and getting the 250-ohm will only put you out of $50, maybe only $30.
 
External Amplifier wise.
Little Dot MKII or MKII?
Schiit Asgard
 
Maybe a DAC/Amp combo of some kind?
 
 
Denon AH-D seem to be thin skinned closed headphones, does not block much outside noise, but maybe for it does not matter.
The Denon AH-D2000 (25-Ohm) would not need an external headphone amplifier to work well with your source(s).
 
     Share This Post       
post-8506156
Post #10 of 13

newyorkcity

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:
How about selling off the DT770 Pro 80-ohm and getting the DT770- Pro 250-Ohm, little more clarity, touch less bass.
Used DT770 250-Ohm are $180 new and $150 used.
Selling off the 80-Ohm and getting the 250-ohm will only put you out of $50, maybe only $30.
 
External Amplifier wise.
Little Dot MKII or MKII?
Schiit Asgard
 
Maybe a DAC/Amp combo of some kind?
 
 
Denon AH-D seem to be thin skinned closed headphones, does not block much outside noise, but maybe for it does not matter.
The Denon AH-D2000 (25-Ohm) would not need an external headphone amplifier to work well with your source(s).
Well I'm trying to replace them because they have been falling apart for a while.. they have cracked a ton and there is tape holding it together in some parts so not really in selling condition.. the D2000 are $350 on amazon.. are these that much better than the 770 that are $190?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8506369
Post #11 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
28,093
Reaction score
1,629
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
28,093
Likes
1,629
Quote:
Well I'm trying to replace them because they have been falling apart for a while.. they have cracked a ton and there is tape holding it together in some parts so not really in selling condition.. the D2000 are $350 on amazon.. are these that much better than the 770 that are $190?
That's a loaded question, for one thing I've never listened to the Denon AH-D2000, so my opinion is based on what others have said about them.
Value wise the Denon AH-D2000 use to sell for around $220, now that Denon is no longer making them, what new ones are still left have jumped in price to $350.
DT770 Pro 250-Ohm have a normal price of $175, verses AH-D2000s $220, Denon could charge more because people can easily use the AH-D2000 without a headphone amplifier.
I might be biased, but I would not say the $350 AH-D2000 are not worth twice the price of the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm
I'm guessing the DT770 have a better sound stage then the D2000 and the DT770 are more solidly built.
For the price difference you can get a better DAC then what the apple products come with and a decent headphone amplifier.
 
There are several used DT770 250-Ohm for sale on eBay, so you might be able to get a decent used pair for under $150.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8507529
Post #12 of 13

newyorkcity

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:
That's a loaded question, for one thing I've never listened to the Denon AH-D2000, so my opinion is based on what others have said about them.
Value wise the Denon AH-D2000 use to sell for around $220, now that Denon is no longer making them, what new ones are still left have jumped in price to $350.
DT770 Pro 250-Ohm have a normal price of $175, verses AH-D2000s $220, Denon could charge more because people can easily use the AH-D2000 without a headphone amplifier.
I might be biased, but I would not say the $350 AH-D2000 are not worth twice the price of the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm
I'm guessing the DT770 have a better sound stage then the D2000 and the DT770 are more solidly built.
For the price difference you can get a better DAC then what the apple products come with and a decent headphone amplifier.
 
There are several used DT770 250-Ohm for sale on eBay, so you might be able to get a decent used pair for under $150.
ah thats why the D2000s have gone up.. that sucks.. and are the 250 Ohm that much better than the 80 Ohm?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8508126
Post #13 of 13

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
28,093
Reaction score
1,629
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
28,093
Likes
1,629
Quote:
Ah that's why the D2000s have gone up.. that sucks.. and are the 250 Ohm that much better than the 80 Ohm?
250-Ohm is a little better (clarity) then the 80-Ohm. I own both and really do not use the 80-Ohm much anymore.
My ears are not into bass like they use to, so I rarely use either of the DT770s at all, the Audio Technica ATH-A900X is now my closed headphone of choice.
 
Another thought, if you do not really have to deal with outside noise, then maybe the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm would be a better choice.
Full bass, full treble, nice sound stage, vocals are not as forward as bass/treble, but they are clear.
Great for movies, like being in the theater and as they are open, your ears take less of a pounding.
I have no problem using my DT990 for music.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top