dt-770 any good?
Aug 25, 2007 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NewCents05

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of headphones with alot of bass. I want a pair of headphones that I can sit at home and feel like i am sitting in a car almost. I just want something with tons of deep low bass. What some people have recommended was the Beyerdynamic DT-770.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Beyerdynamic-DT7...QQcmdZViewItem

I found that and i am not sure if its any good for my application. Another question that has been lingering in my mind is will i need an external headphone amp? I am fond of that price and if there is anything better in that price range please do suggest what i should buy.

I am also upgrading from a Sennheiser HD 212Pro since the 1/8th terminal on the wire broke and i can not find a replacement wire for that headphone nor do i know what to buy to jerry rig my own wire so i have just decided to upgrade. I am looking for more bass than what these headphones put out and these headphones did put out a nice amount of bass especially for the price.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 12
DT770's are known as bass-monster headphones, and they are well-loved on head-fi, so they're an excellent choice. I'm going to be getting mine on Sunday, so I can't completely vouch for whether they really need to be amped, but based on my research, the 80 ohm version (the eBay one you linked is just that) should work pretty well without an amp; HOWEVER, one wouldn't hurt, and, depending on the setting in which you would be using them (weak portable player vs. something with more power), you might get significant improvements with an amp.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 12
I have both the DT 770 (250 ohm version / 2003) (80 ohm version / 2003) (250 ohm version 2005)

I highly reccomend the 80 ohm version if you like big bass, but I personally prefer the 250 ohm version 2003 which you can get on B&H.com

The 2005 version also known as DT 770 Pro....is too crisp to my ears.

Furthermore, you may prefer the bass slam of the Ultrasone HFI 700, a very balanced closed phone with excellent Isolation.

Lastly you won't get the bass slam from the 770s or the Ultrasones without the proper amplification. If you are going without an amp consider the Ultrasone HFI 550. The Sennheiser HD280 or the really awesome Sennheiser HD25-1-II. The only reason I did not put more emphasic in the HD25 is because they are supra aural phones and I prefer circumaural.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 12
your archos player is compatible with rockbox, an open source jukebox firmware that offers better equalization and all around customization. The 770's respond very well to and eq with a bump up on the low freqs. I have the 80-ohm model and I run them out of my ipod running rockbox. The bass is pummeling in RAp, Rock, Metal etc. http://rockbox.org

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Anyone ever stick their heads between a set of DT770 M to try to shut out the world? How'd they sound?!

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 12
The "M" is a drummer version I believe. It was rumored to not sound as good as the 80ohm and 2005 models.
"Attention Skylab, we have DT770 question on page 1..."

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "M" is a drummer version I believe. It was rumored to not sound as good as the 80ohm and 2005 models.

Yup; that's what it's called on the Beyer site too. What I was noticing though was the isolation.

...with four noisy little kids.....the ISOLATION!!

What a great place to hide!
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 12
I used my beyer dt770 80 ohm headphones out of my logitech z5500 speakers they have an amp but the headphone settings are locked and i have no idea how much power i am getting if even that much for my dt770. I can tell you this
I used my dt770 on my pc set up with an x-fi extreme music soundcard. from the moment i took the dt770 out of the box the first thing i noticed was the boom!!! I was like holy**** the dt770 sound like subwoofers. I sold mine because the mids are recessed they sound like they were coming from somewhere in the back of the can. also to me and i like to feel like im in a nightclub which means loud music and big boom i felt like these phones would have sounded so much better with an amp. To be honest they would have been just fine without an amp but much better with one thats the way i felt.

I bought several pairs of high dollar headphones and sold them all and came back to beyers because of the bass. I also bought a new pair of dt770 that were turned into darth beyers and the mid problem is 100 percent fixed and they sound amazing. The 140.00 price tag is cheapest you will find them new and you can always upgrade them later to darths and btw darths blow alot of high dollar headphones out of the water.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 12
For a while I was really in love with my dt770/80's. Every night I would stop gaming(my life long passion), and take a few hours just to listen to some music with them. I haven't been into music like that prior to getting those headphones. The dt770 just made music sooo much more enjoyable than before...But reading head-fi everyday kinda made my ears picky about what I was hearing, and I decided that I needed to move on and get the dt880. Anyways, I'll say with a decent source(my PC's on-board audio was fine but the laptop's intergrated soundcard was not), or an even lesser source with decent amplification(my Brother let me borrow his ~nailclipper-sized mp3 player, which FORCED me to use with my Corda Headfive amp to make it sound good), the dt770/80 will be a good headphone.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The DT770-M is just a DT770 Pro/80 with pleather earpads and a volume control on the cord.

The pleather earpads increase the bass substantially, as do leather, which probably makes them sound silly by head-fi standards.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770-M is just a DT770 Pro/80 with pleather earpads and a volume control on the cord.

The pleather earpads increase the bass substantially, as do leather, which probably makes them sound silly by head-fi standards.

Not really sure its simply DT770 Pro with pleather pads as the pair of DT770-M I heard, which my friend bought for his drumming purposes, had quite recessed bass and not that sparkly highs. But isolation was superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back