DT 770 and M50 alternative? middleground for bass/clarity?
May 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Vicx

New Head-Fier
Relative noob here, straight to the point. I've been using the ATH-M50s for about 2 weeks, loving it. I just got the DT 770 pro 80 ohm, been listening for about 12 hours and swapping between the two constantly. I think the M50s are just slightly clearer and sound "closer" but lack the bass of the 770 has. It almost feels like the M50s sound too "close" whereas the 770 is more leaned back and comfortable. The 770 sound like there's a thin bedsheet blocking the sound compared the M50, but it still sounds good (sorry trying to explain in layman terms), so I kinda prefer the M50 for clarity.

I've been searching for something in the middle, like a 770 with a bit more clarity or a M50 with more bass. The Ultrasone 580s seem like the best contender to fill the middleground, but after hours of reading threads I still can't decide, some say the 580s are lacking in bass and others say it's the best choice. I've looked into the D2000 but decided against it.

I will keep the 770s over the M50s if I don't get the 580s.

No amp. I'm listening on PC through an Audigy 2 ZS plugged into a Logitech Z-5500. I'll also be using this on a Roland TD-12. I only plan on using them at home.

I'm listening to mostly dubstep and nujazz (eg. Nujabes) and some rock, dnb and chillwave. Thanks to the bass on the 770, dubstep songs from Nero and Netsky sound orgasmic, it's like being transported to another dimension.. but I would like just a bit more clarity like the M50s.

May 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 16

May 24, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 16
I heard the bass is more for audiophiles, so someone like me may not appreciate it. It's mainly for people into jazz etc. I'm not looking just for consumer bass, but something in the middle, which is why I love the bass of the DT 77 but I want something closer to the clarity of the M50.

May 24, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Relative noob here, straight to the point. I've been using the ATH-M50s for about 2 weeks, loving it. I just got the DT 770 pro 80 ohm, been listening for about 12 hours and swapping between the two constantly. I think the M50s are just slightly clearer and sound "closer" but lack the bass of the 770 has. It almost feels like the M50s sound too "close" whereas the 770 is more leaned back and comfortable. The 770 sound like there's a thin bedsheet blocking the sound compared the M50, but it still sounds good (sorry trying to explain in layman terms), so I kinda prefer the M50 for clarity.

I've been searching for something in the middle, like a 770 with a bit more clarity or a M50 with more bass. The Ultrasone 580s seem like the best contender to fill the middleground, but after hours of reading threads I still can't decide, some say the 580s are lacking in bass and others say it's the best choice. I've looked into the D2000 but decided against it.

I will keep the 770s over the M50s if I don't get the 580s.

No amp. I'm listening on PC through an Audigy 2 ZS plugged into a Logitech Z-5500. I'll also be using this on a Roland TD-12. I only plan on using them at home.

I'm listening to mostly dubstep and nujazz (eg. Nujabes) and some rock, dnb and chillwave. Thanks to the bass on the 770, dubstep songs from Nero and Netsky sound orgasmic, it's like being transported to another dimension.. but I would like just a bit more clarity like the M50s.

I'm quite sure that all you need is a little amp like the FiiO E11 or the JDS Labs Cmoy BB..
Plug your DT770's into one of those and you'll find the clarity they're missing.

May 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 16
I'd rather get a set of cans that suit my needs without an amp, I'm already pushing my budget as it is. If the 580s are what I think they are then I'll get them. I might get the E11 if I must, but I'll see how they sound without it first before I look into amps.

May 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I'd rather get a set of cans that suit my needs without an amp, I'm already pushing my budget as it is. If the 580s are what I think they are then I'll get them. I might get the E11 if I must, but I'll see how they sound without it first before I look into amps.

Hope the 580's suit your needs without an amp.

If you get a chance, let us know what you think of them 
vs the DT770's and M50's.

May 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 16
I voted for other alternative...

The M-Audio Q40 is a good alternative that has immensely good bass and is quite clear/neutral in the remaining frequencies.
The Beyerdynamic DT250 (80 Ohm version) has more clarity but not basshead levels of bass (the bass is very nice though).

The Ultrasone 580 is not really in the same league as the DT770, M50 or DT250. 

May 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Get the D2000s. The bass isn't just for audiophiles, and it plays well with dubstep. It's actually pretty close to the Beyers bass wise. But better. What you're probably refering to is the lack of mid-bass. You shouldn't be lloking for artificial mid-bass boost anyways. Trust me. Sub-bass is where it's at.

May 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Ok I did some research on the Q40 but seems like everyone says the M50 is better in every way, so back to square one.

I did more research on the D2000 and it does actually seem pretty good now, but WAY out of my budget! They're around $250usd on Ebay and I don't know where else to buy them. I'm definitely not buying them in New Zealand because we get ripped off on everything here.

So I'm back to looking at the 580s again, which are definitely within my budget.. but still undecided..

GAH! why must you people squeeze every dollar out of me? my time spent on head-fi directly correlates to how much money I have spent/willing to spend. Must buy one last set of cans and leave these forums for good!
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 16
Ok I've concluded that the only way I'm ever going to know which I'll like more is to simply buy BOTH of them. I've just bought a pair of used 580s, now all I need is the Q40. Anyone selling or know of anyone else selling a pair? I've checked ebay but I'd rather buy a cheap used pair as I'm not completely committed yet.

edit: I've already used the trade forum but there's nothing available now and I'm not allowed to start a WTB thread yet.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 16
Wow, how things have changed.. My last post, I was tossing up between the Q40 and HFI-580. I bought the 580, which was disappointing.

Since then, I wasn't even considering the D2000, and now I've suddenly bought the D5000! that's a MASSIVE jump from the HFI-580 (and also a massive chunk of my bank balance).
So far, definitely enjoying it. I completely agree with what everyone says about it having a great soundstage and I truly appreciate the "warmth" and feel of the low bass, it just sounds so enjoyable and comforting.

However, the quest is not over yet. As much as I love them, I don't feel completely comfortable with $600nzd on my head, so I might buy the D2000 if I can find them cheap, I might be just as content with those. Still need to try the Q40 and maybe even give the DT770 another chance.

This is bliss: http://soundcloud.com/bts/something-about-us-studio

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #15 of 16
Hey you sound like me haha. I was debating some of the same headphones, not wanting to spend much more than $250 and ended up ordering the D5000's yesterday. Glad to hear you like them. I'm still thinking about getting the 580, DT770, or Q40 for more portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back