DT 770 32ohm or K272 HD? need some help mates!
Feb 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

eMotion3287

New Head-Fier
Ok, so tax returns are in and I just bought my Cowon I9 portable media player (SUPER excited to test this BBE Technology) for my FLAC and APE files. Now I just need some cans!!! I'm trying to decide between the Beyerdynamic DT 770 32ohm and the AKG K272 HD. my decision will be made on soundstage, reproduction, noise cancellation, comfort, and ability to perform on my portable device. Will I NEED portable amp? Any help will be much appreciated, as I joined head-fi cause of its numerous members with EXTENSIVE knowledge. Thanks again mates!

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi, by the way!  Congrats on your new mp3 purchase!  As a fellow Cowon user I can personally attest to the sonic brilliance that is BBE+.  Cowon's players usually have very strong(by portable standards) outputs so you won't need an amp with either phone, but even adding Fiio's E5 will add some improvement to the overall sound quality(as I pair my S9 and O2 with the E5 and my headphones and get some suprising results).  If not then the I9 will still sound great with either phone.  Now as to which headphone should you go with?  Hmm, both are ecellent options, but I think the DT 770 just eclipses the K272 here in overall sound reproduction.  Both are well-known in terms comfortablilty with DT 770 being a bit more comfortable as its pads feel like pillows.  Tough choice.  I'd lean towards the DT 770.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks mate. I actually have an E5 that I bought when I got my RE0's a few months ago. And reading reviews on both I think your right. I really want a pair of 701's but I want a closed back before I go open, so that's what put me to my decision on the 2.

On a semi related note, on the Beyer site they have the MANUFAKTUR program where you can customize your beyers before you buy them. Any idea on how to do it? I put it in my cart but it hasn't given me the chance to customize them?

Thanks for your help mate! Saved me hours and hours of research, you did.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 16
On the model page there's a Manufaktur link which, when clicked, should open up another window where you can customize to your hearts content. It'll cost you though.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 16
You're welcome!  Let us know what you end up going with and maybe some photos when you get your new headphones in perhaps?

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Hey thanks mates! I'm sure the isolation is better on the akgs but I really wanna know, overall which headphones are better in terms of clarity and reproduction. I know both names are pretty legendary in that field so let me know what you guys think? Oh and you best believe pics will follow shortly. Most likely as my profile pic as well XD

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 16
Still deciding?  Hmm, how about you try flipping a coin?
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 16
Guys I'm bout to be a pain haha! Apologies, but now I've added the DT880 into the mix... the only reason i chose the 770 in the 1st place was due to the closed back for noise cancellation. I'm about to just go semi open with the 880's. just wondering how intrusive they are to the outside world? Also, how intrusive the outside world is to them? Also also, will the 32Ohm model still run on a Cowon I9 without the need for an amp? These are my 1st audiophile cans so i really wanna do it right, but i also wanna be able to use them to maximum efficiency and in a variation of environments like home, out and about, on the train, on the plane/airport without disturbing people or them disturbing me haha. how good is the sound attenuation on the Semi open 880? will lower volume levels be unheard by the outside world or is it a lost cause to hide its level of awesome? Again, sorry for my finicky indecisive nature, but like i said i wanna do it right and you guys have already helped me so much. Thanks again mates!

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 16
I would look at Audio Technica M50.  Closed, fairly good isolation, not excessively clamping and most important  suitable to be driven unamped by Cowon PMP (tested on i5, D2 and J3). Moreover they folds nicely and so have good portability.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 16
Due semi-open nature of the DT880, they probably wouldn't leak all that much.  If the isolation is anything like my AKG K240S(also semi-open) then it's likely very mild.  If you plan on using your headphones outdoors then a semi-open design is probably not the way to go.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 16
so i got my 770's used. guy seemed to know what he was doin and took care of them. i have to say im less impressed than i thought i would be. could be cause they are the 32ohm, could be cause theyre currently being run off a 16g ipod nano (my cowon i9 is currently in atlanta... have to go back and get it!!!!), could be that i just built them up in my head way too much, or it could be that im just not a closed cans knda guy????????? they just dont "pop" to me and they are also very quiet without my amp ( could be because of the ipod?) any info would help me for this dilemma. thanks again guys!

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 16
It's likely that even though your DT 770s have a low impedance rating, your ipod is not providing sufficient power to drive them.  A portable amp along the likes of Fiio's E5 or upcoming E11 should suffice, or if you can stretch your budget a bit, ibasso's T3.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 16
Yeah I have an E5 and it sounds good with that on the ipod but what I'm wondering is will i still need the amp when I get my Cowon back. The bbe tech on the I9 plus the ability to play my FLACs again I feel will redeem the problem. So I shouldn't be worried just cause I'm stuck with an ipod for a few days right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back