DT 1990 Pro: 2KHz Peak!?
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pinkomeno

New Head-Fier
I hope I'm posting in the right place... anyhow:
Some of you may know that I've got set on a ZMF Aeolus a while ago, but I still need to create songs and that's where I will always use my DT 1990 Pro.
Now, yesterday I did a tone sweep and I found a VERY big peak at 2.2 KHz (2KHz with the B pads), and if I had to bring it down till it would match with the same level (in volume) of 1000Hz... It would have been of 7 Decibels (9 with the B pads) with a Q Factor of 3!
Am I going insane? I never heard this peak before. Anyone else notice it?

Thanks, Max.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Does it bother you while you are listening, or are you only worried about it now because you measured it? Maybe it’s different in a pro audio application, but I only worry about things I can hear that might bother me while enjoying music, not what some graph from a sweep tells me. Others will certainly disagree.

Just my $.02.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Maybe because I measured it.
In actual applications it translates into nothing, so I guess I'm fine.
Oh and by listening to many different headphones I've noticed that 2.2KHz bump is actually coming from my HRTF (also discovered I can't hear anything from 3400Hz to 3800Hz ; - ; )

BTW thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Maybe because I measured it.
In actual applications it translates into nothing, so I guess I'm fine.
Oh and by listening to many different headphones I've noticed that 2.2KHz bump is actually coming from my HRTF (also discovered I can't hear anything from 3400Hz to 3800Hz ; - ; )

BTW thanks for the reply.

Ni worries. It also needs to be pointed out more often that the x axis on the graph commonly used here on head-fi can severely exaggerate the appearance of peaks and valleys because it is asymptotic (aperiodic?), not linear, as you move up in frequency. I don’t think enough people recognize that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back