DSD playback “pop/click”
Feb 29, 2016 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

norrest

100+ Head-Fier
During DSD playback there is a “pop/click” sound when changing tracks or location in within the track.

issue here
I have two DAC that have this problem!
What methods have helped to solve this problem!
Let's discuss!

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 27
  During DSD playback there is a “pop/click” sound when changing tracks or location in within the track.

issue here
I have two DAC that have this problem!
What methods have helped to solve this problem!
Let's discuss!

I'm no expert on this, but I wonder if it may be to do with the buffer resetting, when you interrupt playback in any way. Rob Watts discussed something along these lines, in the Mojo thread:

The problem of muting the initial start is due to certain OS and apps - when the sample rate changes, the data in the buffers get sent out at the wrong rate. When you switch from DSD to PCM you then get a loud bang, or track played at the wrong rate for a period. Now this fault is in the app, its absolutely nothing to do with the DAC.

So to fix the apps problem, if the sample rate changes, I force a mute for 0.5 seconds, so that you do not hear these noises. On some apps, you can force a small silent period at the beginning and this solves the issue.

If I didn't do this I would have people complaining about bangs thumps and music being played at the wrong rate. Better silence than shots being fired off!  

Rob

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 27
At 1st, i ask to add delay

>Ripped DSF files are hit and miss. Some have loud POP, some have none. I am >going to try out some other extractors to see if they fix the issue.
>
>POP playing first file after system start: Once I changed delay to 500ms, this >went away for DSF or FLAC - thanks for the info.

Can you add delay to 500ms in 
a) When start dsd files!
b) When rewinding dsd files! 
c) When switching dsd -> dsd or pcm and stop! 
Or add this variable in the configuration file!
I will test git version and say result! Thank you!

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 27
At 1st, i ask to add delay

>Ripped DSF files are hit and miss. Some have loud POP, some have none. I am >going to try out some other extractors to see if they fix the issue.
>
>POP playing first file after system start: Once I changed delay to 500ms, this >went away for DSF or FLAC - thanks for the info.

Can you add delay to 500ms in
a) When start dsd files!
b) When rewinding dsd files!
c) When switching dsd Bern Accountants-> dsd or pcm and stop!
Or add this variable in the configuration file!
I will test git version and say result! Thank you!
I have been experimenting with the DSD data disks I have burned a few to play on my SACD player, DSF files burned to a DRD-R as a data disk. They all play fine and sound good, but they all have a click between every track which is annoying. My best guess is that my player (Denon 1700ne) is actually outputting them as PCM rather than DSD and the click is the switch from DSD to PCM for each track? Seems odd though for an SACD player to do this,and it could of course be an error on my part when I am burning them. Is there anybody playing DSD disks on their SACD player experienced similar? Not the end of the world if I cannot get it working, just curious as it is a neat feature.

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 27
I don't think it's that. As I understand it, DSD isn't editable. You're hearing the cut between one DSD track and the next one and the player is scrambling to lock onto the stream again. It may actually fix it to output in PCM.

SACDs might put all the tracks into one long file and set chapter stops based on time code. But that is just a guess.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 27
I have been experimenting with the DSD data disks I have burned a few to play on my SACD player, DSF files burned to a DRD-R as a data disk. They all play fine and sound good, but they all have a click between every track which is annoying. My best guess is that my player (Denon 1700ne) is actually outputting them as PCM rather than DSD and the click is the switch from DSD to PCM for each track? Seems odd though for an SACD player to do this,and it could of course be an error on my part when I am burning them. Is there anybody playing DSD disks on their SACD player experienced similar? Not the end of the world if I cannot get it working, just curious as it is a neat feature.

There is something very familiar about these words 😂

Funnily enough, I have been having this exact issue so will watch this one with interest.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 27
I don't think it's that. As I understand it, DSD isn't editable. You're hearing the cut between one DSD track and the next one and the player is scrambling to lock onto the stream again. It may actually fix it to output in PCM.

SACDs might put all the tracks into one long file and set chapter stops based on time code. But that is just a guess.

My best guess when I had this issue was the player switching formats between each track as the same files streamed from my NAS to my streamer have no click, I only experienced it when playing the data disk in my SACD player.

Your theory is interesting and if true would mean that it is not fixable.

Also I thought the clicking was a hardware noise like a relay click on an amp i.e. from the player not the disk. I might listen closer as I guess it could be a sound produced from the disk itself. If that makes sense?

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 27
Your streamer is converting it to a lossy format. That doesn’t have the problem breaking a stream like DSD does. So there’s no click. Converting to PCM before playback would likely have no click too. There wouldn’t be any audible difference, so if it was me, I’d just have the player convert all SACDs to PCM on playback.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 27
Your streamer is converting it to a lossy format. That doesn’t have the problem breaking a stream like DSD does. So there’s no click. Converting to PCM before playback would likely have no click too. There wouldn’t be any audible difference, so if it was me, I’d just have the player convert all SACDs to PCM on playback.
I could be wrong but I'm not sure it is? My streamer (MXN10 is DSD compatible) as is my DAC (Audiolab 7000a).

This is not a huge deal for me, I did like the idea of burning some DSD disks but it was a cherry on cake thing.

If the clicking is from the disk then I might still play them, if I thought it was a hardware thing like a relay switch I'm not sure I will, as this happening so frequently cannot be great for the player.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 27
It won’t hurt the player. It’s just two streams that don’t match each other properly. It’s a digital thing. If you don’t mind the click between songs, play it as DSD. If you don’t like the click, set the player to convert to PCM. There’s no audible difference between the two.

To be honest, DSD isn’t a great format. I don’t think DSD can be streamed over WiFi or Bluetooth. Your streamer is compatible with DSD, but it’s converting it to actually stream it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 27
The Denon 1700ne says it supports DSD in USB input (IE DSD files on a hard drive). SACD players have tended to be plagued by Sony's initial effort to have copy protection for digital connections. The original players decoded the SACD layer for analogue outputs and redbook layer for digital optical/coaxial. There's also players like Oppos that support SACD, but the DAC does convert it to PCM. There have been some more modern ones that can support a DSD bitstream through HDMI (and your decoding device would also need to support DSD HDMI and DAC). Since SACD stayed niche, I think it's only a few "audiophile" components that have been able to support this.

I'm also not sure why folks are collecting DSD digital files for modern DACs that claim DSD compatibility: DSD has clearly lost a format war, and there's no audible difference with a good master for PCM (the SACDs I collected were either masters not on CD or surround).

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 27
To be honest, DSD isn’t a great format. I don’t think DSD can be streamed over WiFi or Bluetooth. Your streamer is compatible with DSD, but it’s converting it to actually stream it.
DSD can be streamed over wifi: with current wifi routers, they easily have the speed for streaming 4K Dolby Vision movies in 7.1 TrueHD Atmos (so DSD bandwith is trivial compared to that).

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 27
If the stream breaks even a little bit it would drop completely and you'd have to start over, wouldn't it? My understanding is that DSD isn't good with breaks.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 27
If the stream breaks even a little bit it would drop completely and you'd have to start over, wouldn't it? My understanding is that DSD isn't good with breaks.
I've never heard of that with SACDs: IE if error correction breaks, would you just hear clicking. So SACD is DSD64 (and of course for high-res internet, they're advertising DSD128 or DSD264). With SACD, it's 40MB per minute of data (or less than 1MB per second). PCM 192 is actually higher data rate at 66MB per minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back