DSD, PCM and others explained....
May 24, 2015 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

interpolate

100+ Head-Fier

You'll need a while to watch these videos fully however they do bring up some very good points. For anybody who wants to understand what they are listening to and need to justify the money they spend on their equipment and audio choices. 

A slight disclaimer: These are not my opinions and are only those of the video authors.

Let the arguments begin....

May 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 12
I never thought I would get a lot of responses on this post :wink:

The basic premise is, DSD is PDM and our accepted standard of audio is PCM. 

Pulse Density Modulation is used with Direct Stream Digital and it has the ability to dynamically shift the amount of data needed before being converted as opposed to being a fixed range of values. At least this is how I understand this.

May 25, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 12
Anyone who does not know what SQL actually stands for in the context of databases is off to a bad start explaining tech 
wink.gif

May 25, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 12
  Actually I never properly read your response at first. To my knowledge I have never mentioned AJAX, Javascript, SQL, MySQL, C#, ASP, PHP, CGI/Perl, CFML, XML, jQuery and other web creation processes. Nor have I ever stepped into the subject of any other development language whether it be compiler based or not.

Don't judge me by my lack of understanding of audio snobbery.

I was not criticising you I was criticising Video no 2 Mr Paul McG

May 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Having watched the video, I wondered the Master tape mentioned is a digital or analogue source.

Could somebody throw some light on this?

May 25, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 12
Sorry ..... been a long day .....

I totally forgot that part of the video and ...

again apologies.

Hmmm......

I edited my posts and I'll put it down to me to reading things properly and jumping to conclusions. Besides I'm going to be working on a new audio project soon and make use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum. Also I did bits of web design and graphics before; more hobbies than anything. Anyway I feel a bit daft now.

When I get the FiiO X3 II, I'll drop an idiots review to the device. No technical stuff like impedance, although I do have a little understanding of that I wouldn't be confident explaining it.

blink.gif

May 25, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 12
Here are two excellent videos that can help put things in context...

AES Audio Myths Seminar

AES Damn Lies Seminar

May 26, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 12
@OP it would be cool if you stopped deleting all your posts every time somebody disagrees. it's a little lame IMO, and it makes reading and understanding the topics very hard.

you can strike it or put some edit: mentioning where something was a mistake. but just pretending like it was never there, it's really helping nobody.

May 26, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 12
Santa has a poor grasp of what he is talking about and his DAC sucks - 3% distortion in the bass for 5k$? Really?

May 26, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Yes I'll stop deleting my posts. Including this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back