Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #663 of 854
Just an update for those interested: Out of all the tubes I've tried so far (8 pairs) the E90CC and E92CC are without a doubt the most proficient. The best I've heard for my preferences (neutral) and headphones (HD800/HD600) is the E92CC. The E90CC is good but seems to have a more rounded character. I'm going to try to grab a few more E92CC's (perhaps of the Telefunken variety) to see how the different brands will compare. Other than that, I'm going to try hacking in some high-mu, high-g there soon.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #665 of 854
Which Mcap EVO are you using? I have been considering the Al+Oil as a decent cap that I can get for a decent price (ClarityCaps are tougher to get at a decent price in Oz) and avoid shoehorning a slightly oversized cap in place.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #666 of 854
Aluminum / Oil. No bad things to say. The next tube to roll in will be the E90cc but the 6J6 is doing such a nice job that I just have not wanted to change it. I have the clarity caps esa up for audition at some point currently sitting in a box and finally I have the auricap ega to try to get in there. If you find 600v auricaps don't get them as they are too big.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #668 of 854
I am finding the e90cc are more tword the transistor side of the house. They are very detailed yet a little less musical than the 6J6. It is a little early to make any conclusions as I have only 30 or so hrs on the e90cc. I am moving so it will be a bit before I am able to come back to the comparison.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #669 of 854
I am finding the e90cc are more tword the transistor side of the house. They are very detailed yet a little less musical than the 6J6. It is a little early to make any conclusions as I have only 30 or so hrs on the e90cc. I am moving so it will be a bit before I am able to come back to the comparison.

Yep, that's more or less in line with my thoughts. At this point, I've heard a few folks also say they like the 6J6 more than the E90CC. I can definitely see why. The 6J6 tends to be more macro-dynamic and have more bass slam. At the same time they also have a more organic texture than the E90CC which is slightly dry in nature. It's going to come down the the headphone in question.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #670 of 854
The problem is that all listening is subjective.
Personally, I find the 6J6 type tubes a little 'harsh'.
The one exception I've found is the Mullard M8081 / CV4031 which I feel is the best of the 6J6 types.
I've been swapping round between a pair of Valvo E90CC's, SQ (special Quality) Miniwatt E90CC's and a pair of RFT ECC960's.
For my setup and my ears the Miniwatt and the RFT's are the best.  I can't tell them apart.

The Torpedo is a fantastic amp.  I love it!!!

Many thanks to dsavitsk and tomb for providing us all with hours of entertainment.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #671 of 854
  The problem is that all listening is subjective.
Personally, I find the 6J6 type tubes a little 'harsh'.
The one exception I've found is the Mullard M8081 / CV4031 which I feel is the best of the 6J6 types.
I've been swapping round between a pair of Valvo E90CC's, SQ (special Quality) Miniwatt E90CC's and a pair of RFT ECC960's.
For my setup and my ears the Miniwatt and the RFT's are the best.  I can't tell them apart.

The Torpedo is a fantastic amp.  I love it!!!

Many thanks to dsavitsk and tomb for providing us all with hours of entertainment.

Thanks for the kind comments - you've given us a lot!!

I mostly agree with you and understand the impression that the 6J6 gives a better bass slam, but you are correct that they are a little "harsh."  That's because the distortion is a bit higher and you'll hear it on loud and elevated multi-voice passages.  I've also purchased the Mullard CV4031's that you've recommended, but I'm not certain that they're that much better than a good Sonotone 6J6W or similar.  That's only my opinion, though.  I have some ECC960's but have not got around to trying them, yet.  One other tube that people might try as a somewhat cheaper alternative to the E90CC is the E92CC.  It's almost an identical tube with slightly different ratings.  It has a tad bit more distortion than the E90CC, but is still in a much better class than the 6J6.

That said, a little perspective is perhaps in order: even with the 6J6, the sound quality far surpasses other tube amps in its price range.  Realize that the 6J6 is still available for $1 (ESRC Tubes until tomorrow!) or a bit more at most places.  This final rendition of the Torpedo has taken some time and a lot of work from Dsavitsk - even Morgan Jones and Kevin Gilmore helped along the way to pinpoint/solve the noise issue.  As a result, I can finally brag: the Torpedo is truly one of the finest tube amplifiers available.  The fact that it's available in PCB form as a DIY kit makes it even more valuable and unique, IMHO.

Anyway, I know I'm a MOT, so my motives and opinions are supposedly questionable and biased, but still ... it's wonderfully exciting to be able to supply something from Beezar that performs at this level of quality.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #672 of 854
MOT or not, I totally agree with your last statement. I've listened to a lot of amps that fall on either side of the Torpedo's pricetag and I always favor the Torpedo. It's the best amp for dynamic headphones I've ever used.

I'm so glad the E90CC was discovered because I wouldn't be making that claim otherwise. It brings a whole new level of awesome to the amp.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #673 of 854
:)

Is now a good time to say that we've been talking about a Torpedo 2 for a while? We've prototyped a few designs. The idea is not to make an incremental improvement, but to make a totally different amp with a different topology and different tube type in a similar form factor while reusing some of the major parts. So it won't render the T1 obsolete which is not going anywhere, and it will likely cost a bit more. Hopefully we'll have something concrete this winter/spring?

:veryevil:

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #675 of 854
smily_headphones1.gif

Is now a good time to say that we've been talking about a Torpedo 2 for a while? We've prototyped a few designs. The idea is not to make an incremental improvement, but to make a totally different amp with a different topology and different tube type in a similar form factor while reusing some of the major parts. So it won't render the T1 obsolete which is not going anywhere, and it will likely cost a bit more. Hopefully we'll have something concrete this winter/spring?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Sounds very interesting
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back