Drums?
Jun 16, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 42
i dunno about specific solos, but here are a bunch of great drummers.. some prefer fast, some prefer tasteful, most do both.

thomas lang - various
john macaluso - ark
virgil donati - planet x
gavin harrison - porcupine tree
dave dicenso - various
jason rullo - symphony x
mike portnoy - dream theater
josh freese - a perfect circle
danny carey - tool
chris pennie - dillinger escape plan
gene hoglan - strapping young lad
bobby rock - various
terry bozzio - various
bernhard huber - dreamscape
carter beauford - dave mathews band
dirk bruinenberg - adagio
dino campanella - dredg
jose pasillas - incubus
johan langell - pain of salvation
brain/tim alexander - primus
rod morgenstein - various
mike mangini - various
simon phillips - various
zoltan csorsz - the flower kings
sam watson - the apex theory
matt mcdonough - mudvayne

the only standout drum solo that comes to my mind at the moment is bobby rock's on this album.

..just throwing out names though, somebody else can probably offer something more specific.

~

Jun 16, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 42
Where's Neil Peart?!?

A "great drummers" list without Neil? Blasphemy!!

orphsmile.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 42
dont flame me, but one of the best drummers that i've heard live wise and cd wise is the one from the Mars Volta - regardless of how you view their music, that drummer has got some real chops, and it was a pleasure to experience what he had to offer

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
dont flame me, but one of the best drummers that i've heard live wise and cd wise is the one from the Mars Volta - regardless of how you view their music, that drummer has got some real chops, and it was a pleasure to experience what he had to offer

Indeed I will not. He is fantastic, especially live. Have you ever heard the intro solo opening to L'Via L'Viaquez?

But my favorite drummer of all time is Rodney Holmes. Check out his work, especially with the Steve Kimock Band... the entire concerts can be considered drum solos, and he really pounds - and at a fast rate too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 42
Darren Pujalet from Particle. You can find plenty of their stuff on internet archive. Even better is Hydra (Particle with Mickey Hart). I saw the guys live and the drumming/percussion was outstanding.

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Forget about drum solos....go get the DVD of "Genesis: The Way We Walk" for "Drum Duet" between Phil Collins and Chester Thompson.

Those of you fortuante enough to see the Grateful Dead were treated to awesome "drum duets" with Bill K. and Mickey H.

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Indeed I will not. He is fantastic, especially live. Have you ever heard the intro solo opening to L'Via L'Viaquez?

Oh yeah, he is simply amazing, one of the best and most technically advanced drummers i have ever had the pleasure of listening to - i shall pop in some mars volta as we speak...

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 42
The guys from these bands don't really do anything "special" but they add greatly to the music and are just awesome:

Lance Garvin, from Soul Embraced and Living Sacrifice www.purevolume.com/livingsacrifice/ listen to "In Christ" There's a reason he's known as "The Machine", he just keeps the craziness going, lol.

The guy from "The Showdown", they are a sweet band period

Dude from Sinai Beach has some deep-as-crap tones and just makes the music awesome.

As I Lay Dying's drummer has always impressed me as one of the fastest. Hit up the link in my sig and watch their videos and experience him.

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
No Buddy Rich fans?
confused.gif

Indeed there is.

I guess that jazz drummers are generally less well known than their rock colleges, but if one are looking for the 'best' drummers regardless of what kind of music they play, someone like Buddy Rich must be included; and just to name a few others from jazz:

Jack DeJohnette
Max Roach
Philly Joe Jones
Gene Krupa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back