Drummer beats Elvis and Lennon
Aug 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Mudbugclub

New Head-Fier
Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham beats Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Freddie Mercury in a poll on This Day in Music.com to see ‘Which dead rock star you would bring back to life’.

John Bonham was voted into first place with 26% of the votes. Freddie Mercury came second with 22% and Elvis Presley third with just 10% of the votes.

Bonnham died on 22nd September aged 32 after a heavy drinking session. ‘Bonzo’ was found dead at guitarist Jimmy Page's house of what was described as “Asphyxiation, after inhaling his own vomit after excessive vodka consumption”, (40 shots in 4 hours).

The highest placed female act was the US singer Janis Joplin who died from an accidental drug overdose in 1970.

Full results:
If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig, who would it be?

1. John Bonham
2. Freddie Mercury
3. Elvis Presely
4. John Lennon
5. Jimi Hendrix
6. Kurt Cobain
7. Bob Marley
8. Jim Morrison
9. Johnny Cash
10. Jeff Buckley
11. Stevie Ray Vaughan
12. Dimebag Darrell
13. Frank Zappa
14. Ian Curtis
15. Janis Joplin
16. Bon Scott
17. Jerry Garcia
18. Phil Lynott
19. Karen Carpenter
20. Keith Moon
Former Clash singer Joe Strummer came in just outside the top 20 list along with Stuart Adamson from Big Country and Beatle George Harrison.

Surprisingly both Amy Winehouse and Keith Richards received votes in the poll.

More music trivia than you can shake a stick at This day in Music

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudbugclub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprisingly both Amy Winehouse and Keith Richards received votes in the poll.

Keith Richards has looked dead for years and Amy Winehouse probably won't live much longer the way she's going

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 43
I think the thrill of Bonham being resurrected is so that the almighty Led can tour again as the original four-piece.

But theres is no doubt in my mind that Lennon is the most missed Rock musician.

That's not even a question.

And its not only because Lennon was a Beatle, and Lennon was a great songwriter and a civilrights activist....

It's also because unlike Elvis & Bonham and others he died at the mercy of another human being. His death was in no way his own doing.

In a way.....Lennon's fame, artistic genius and world renown is what made him such an attractive prey for his sick murderer. In a way Lennon died for being the people's poet, the artist of our lives.

John Bonham was an amazing drummer, and Led Zeppelin is arguably the world's greatest rock band.......but Lennon was a songwriter of truth and heartfelt honesty.....He is missed by members of the world alongside Martin Luther King and Mahatma Ghandi.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 43
The abilities of the Led Zeppelin musicians are so overrated. Sure, they make good music and I love their songs, but there's no shortage of drummers out there who's better than Bonham. While someone like Buckley, Ray Vaughan and Mercury is a truly one of a kind talent.

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The abilities of the Led Zeppelin musicians are so overrated. Sure, they make good music and I love their songs, but there's no shortage of drummers out there who's better than Bonham. While someone like Buckley, Ray Vaughan and Mercury is a truly one of a kind talent.

I truly hope that you're joking...

frown.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 43
I am not joking. As I said I like Led Zeppelin, but Bonham, Page and Plant are all not what I would call irreplaceable or top class. My point is that if I were to be able to return a dead musician to life there would be far better opinions than Bonham.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 43
Certainly and as a matter of fact I wil place Lennon ans Elvis ever further in that list (if not out of it), there are a lot of real talents in that list that IMO deserved a better end

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only two people in that list that were murdered are John Lennon and Dimebag Darrell.

Both killed on December 8th....anyone else find that weird?

Anyway....no one deserves a better end than those two guys......

Dimebag is the most overrated guitarist, EVER.

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My point was not whether or not Dimebag is a good guitarist.....my point was that those two guys were both murdered on the same date (different years) and secondly.......I don't judge a person's talent when contemplating the quality of their expiration........people that are killed in cold blood clearly deserve a second chance at life more than those who overdose or commit suicide. I'm sorry if some people find that offensive. I too love Hendrix, and Cobain.....I far prefer them to Dimebag Darrel, but as a judge of this particular question I feel anyone who did not die a self-inflicted death is more deserving of being chosen for the gift of life.

That being said, Lennon and Buckley are my favorite people in that list in terms of their talents.

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there anyone who you don't consider overrated
rolleyes.gif

I don't think he was that special either, but no one deserves to be shot for making music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back