Drum-fi
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:
Man, are we crazy or what?
Talking to each other on two different threads! LOL!
Anyway, it makes sense that the sound of a played in, or broken in, cymbal is the combination pf all those factors.
For whatever reasons, I also have a 20" K Custom Medium Ride, it does not seem to have changed in sound much thru the years.
Dunno why that is......a different manufacturing process, perhaps?

Just kind of happened that way, haha. 
biggrin.gif

If it turns out to be the case, agreed.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #47 of 62
Just kind of happened that way, haha. :D

If it turns out to be the case, agreed.

Aren't I the idiot that posted the same question on two threads?...:rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #48 of 62
Crappy picture featuring my dream hi-hats I acquired a while back, 16" Paiste Twenty Medium Lights. They are everything I imagined and more. 
tongue.gif
 Also been messing around with this side by side snare configuration and it's actually quite awesome.

Those are some spare EC2s placed upside down on top of coated emperors on the toms. There are moongels inside on the resos as well. Thick low sound with short sustain.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #49 of 62
I play everyday. I have a PDP X7 maple kit with a Tama SLP 6.5x14 snare with A custom mastersound hats 14 inch, 17 inch K Hybrid Crash, B8 18 inch crash, 18 inch AAXXPLOSION crash, 21 inch AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride, And a Zildjian A China Boy High 20 inch china. Also, a DW5000  single pedal

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:
^^Nice rivalyoung.

Even though this thread hasn't sparked much interest, it's severely lacking in photos. 
wink_face.gif
 Been tracking drums for an EP for the last 5 days. Took some quick pictures:

(This building used to be a recording studio, then it became a church hence the cross, and now it's temporarily a recording studio again.)

Slightly Head-fi related. There's some Ety mc5's sitting on the throne there. Also that's not me in the picture, haha. The drums are nothing notable, just some birch PDPs, except for the snare drum, which is a Mapex Blonde Birdseye Maple Black Panther 13"x6". Snare is Vintage Emperor over Black Suede, toms are Vintage Emperor over Coated Ambassador, bass is Powerstroke 4 and I think an Emad on the reso side. Normally I don't set up my cymbals quite that way, but I was trying to get them all picked up by the microphones more evenly.

DID YOU JUST SAY YOU'RE USING A BLACK SUEDE FOR A RESONANT HEAD? I've never seen that done. How does it sound?

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:
I play everyday. I have a PDP X7 maple kit with a Tama SLP 6.5x14 snare with A custom mastersound hats 14 inch, 17 inch K Hybrid Crash, B8 18 inch crash, 18 inch AAXXPLOSION crash, 21 inch AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride, And a Zildjian A China Boy High 20 inch china. Also, a DW5000  single pedal

I used to have a set of AAXs. Not my style, but nice cymbals nonetheless.

Quote:
DID YOU JUST SAY YOU'RE USING A BLACK SUEDE FOR A RESONANT HEAD? I've never seen that done. How does it sound?

It's not a regular thickness Black Suede if that's what you were thinking, haha. They make 4-mil black suede snare sides as well. I didn't try really hard to do a detailed comparison or anything, but coming from a more typical Hazy Ambassador, it made the drum sound a little thicker and warmer which I love. I get the feeling that the textured vs clear surface adds something nice as well.

May 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #52 of 62
Perhaps this isn't the place to ask, but as close as I could find. I'm curious which earphones / headphones are most commonly and effectively used for set drumming? I play in a band and have been experimenting with various types (in-ear, on-ear, over-ear) but haven't found the best monitor phones that will accommodate a head-worn microphone, as well. Any suggestions?

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #53 of 62
Quote:
Perhaps this isn't the place to ask, but as close as I could find. I'm curious which earphones / headphones are most commonly and effectively used for set drumming? I play in a band and have been experimenting with various types (in-ear, on-ear, over-ear) but haven't found the best monitor phones that will accommodate a head-worn microphone, as well. Any suggestions?

I've been a member over at drummerworld forums for quite a while now... I hope y'all don't mind me promoting them over here! Here's two to get you started, search around, it's one of the most (if not THE most) popular drum forum. I'm jodgey4 over there with my Heir Audio 3.ai's.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105719
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104181

As for the rest of this thread... here's my set-up.

Cymbals:
Zildjian 10" ZXT Titanium Flash Splash
Paiste 13" Traditional Medium Light Hi-hats
Paiste 14" Alpha Thin Crash
Sabian 14" XS20 Medium Thin Crash
Paiste 15" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-hats
Sabian 16" B8 Medium Crash
Paiste 18" 2002 Crash
Paiste 18" 2002 Medium
Istanbul Agop 21" Vezir Jazz Ride (2074g)
Meinl 22" Byzance China
Paiste 24" 2002 Ride

Snares:
13" x 3" Remo Mastersound
14" x 3.5" Pearl Free Floating Steel (Gen. II)
14" x 5.5" Slingerland Gene Krupa Super (borrowing)
14" x 6.5" Ludwig Centennial Maple
14" x 6.5" Ludwig LM411 (Ludalloy SS)

Kits:
Ludwig Centennial in Silver Sparkle
8" x 12" & 10" x 14 rack toms
15" x 16" & 16" x 18" floor toms
20" x 24" bass drum

Vintage Rogers (Cleveland era) in Silver Sparkle, fully restored by me and borrowed
8" x 12" rack
16" x 16" floor
14" x 20" bass drum

All Aquarian heads, Modern Vintages on the Rogers, Super-2's on the Luddy's, both over one plys. One ply heads on all snares. Bopworks sticks!

I'm working on getting more jazzy Agops; I rarely use the Paiste 2002's, but could never bring myself to sell them!

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #54 of 62
I've been playing percussion for 12 years with the last 3 being focused on drumset. I just graduated from music school and will (hopefully) have a job playing soon. Here's my kit:

Taye Studio Maple drums in Bop sizes with Evans G2's on top and G1's on bottom (toms) And Aquarian Superkick 3/Regulator on the bass

Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga Snare with Evans G1 on top and Evans Hazy 300 on bottom (Those were the stock heads 
basshead.gif
).

All the cymbals are Dream's "Bliss" series. 14" hats, 16" crash, and 20" Ride.

I can't say enough good things about the drums or the cymbals. Dream makes cymbals that can (IMO) stand up to any of the Big 3 AND they just changed their price structure to "by the inch," so all of their 14" cymbals cost the same and so on. The Studio series is Taye's midrange line but honestly unless I win the lottery or end up in a Led Zepphlin tribute band I can't see myself buying another kit. (Cymbals and snares are another story...)   

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #55 of 62
I've been beating on stuff since the first grade.

Now a days I have a sexy 5 piece Tama Starclassic Birch-Bubinga kit. Oh man is she beautiful. Both in the way she sounds and the way she looks. She's a limited edition only 25 ever made.

Now stick a DW7000 bas pedal on her and that deep, dead kick; goodness does she make your heart skip a beat (pun intended).

Tie in some Piaste 20 hat, a Piaste dark/dry ride, and a Sabian Paragon (Neil Peart's signature line) crash, and you have the makings of something beautiful.

So I don't know about anyone else but I prefer nice stands. I use road pro to keep all my stuff from moving about. I especially like my toms up and off the kick, slightly to the left. It makes movement between snare and tom so much more natural and easy, especially on triplets.

I swear, my neighbors must all hate me. I drum continually and you can hear those babies over at the next block.

Well thank you all for reading my big speech bragging about my kit. Thoughts comments?

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #56 of 62
Just got back into playing drums, got a cheap Gretsch Catalina copper jazz, but opted out the snare and found a used 6.5 maple Gretsch New Classic snare , what a beauty !
Cymbals are Avedis ride and crash, Sabian xs20 hi hats, and Sabian AAX crash. A lively sounding small kit with a look I love.

I practice by playing along to Hisound Studio, either with D2000 or DT1350 but need something with better isolation. Any recommendations? DT770?
redir

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #57 of 62

Had this kit since I was in 9th grade. Pearl ELX in Autumn Fade. Recently got some 14" New Beats, Sabian Dry Ride and still looking for a crash or two to replace the ZBTs.

Newest member of the family: Alesis DM10 Studio. Talk about bang for your buck.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #58 of 62

Nothing special - Tama Swingstar (cheap first kit)
Had a set of ZXTs, sold the crash and bought (3 for the price of 2) Paiste Alpha 16" crash, PST8 16" rock crash and PST8 16" china.
Remo pinstripe heads.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #59 of 62
  You might have a hard time finding Stagg in a store. Even online a lot of their stuff is hard to come by. Most of it's only on eBay that I've seen, so I guess they don't have very wide distribution here in the US. Honestly I don't think most of their stuff is that good, but sometimes the cheap Chinese brands do put out some really great cymbals, especially for accent or effect type things where you might be looking for a dirtier or more unique sound. For example, I swear by Wuhan chinas. They put name brand $200+ chinas to shame imo. I'm not sure I would call Zildjian overpriced, even though personally I've never really liked their sound, except for the Constantinople series and the dark or dry variations of the K rides. Same with Sabian. Their high end Artisan stuff is amazing, and I like certain cymbals of the HH and HHX. I'm really digging Meinl because they have so many unique sounds you just can't find anywhere else, and the higher end Paistes are just godly. Man, between drums, pro audio, and hifi, I've just got too many expensive things I wish I could buy! 
rolleyes.gif

Yeh, not sure i'd call Zildjians overpriced (might be because i have nothing but 
biggrin.gif
). I love my Zildjians, they are mostly late 80s, early 90s. I really think the K's at this time were some of the nicest i've ever heard.

My drum history

Started playing drums when i was 8 at school, mostly orchestral, but later kit. Still have my first recording on cassette, playing the triangle on Tchaikovsky 1812 overture, boy did that thing carry!! Don't miss the counting though!!

Got a very cheap Linko (i think) kit when i was about 13. Don't even remember the cymbals. Always wanted something more, so when i got my first Saturday job i started saving and still have the kit i bought with my savings, listed below.

Played in some semi-professional cover bands in the London pub scene for about 10 years, but work always seemed to get in the way of really playing as much as i would have liked

Moved to Australia from the UK around 4 years ago and am ashamed to say that the kit has remained in the cases ever since. I really am trying to find room and excuse to get them out and set them up to start playing again. When i do i will post some pictures!

Kit

Pearl MLX  Maple  Fusion sizes 10,12,14,16 toms 20 bass (Remo pinstripes tops, Remo clear ambassador bottoms)

Pearl 14 x 3 1/2 free floating maple snare

DR-100 rack

Cymbals

Zildjian (All brilliant finish except Re-mix)

8' A Custom splash
 10' A Custom splash
 10' A Special Recording HiHats
 12' K Splash
 13' A Thin Crash
 13' Quick Beat High Hats
 14' Re-mix Crash
 14' A Custom Crash
 17' K Dark Crash Thin
 20' A Custom Ping Ride

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #60 of 62

I have a tempus fibreglass drumkit. 8x10, 9x12, 10x13 tom. 16x16 floor tom. 18x22 bass drum. 8x13 snare drum.

I also have ufip bionic cymbals. 17 and 19 crashes, 10 splash, 22 and 21 rides, 19 china and 14 hi hats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back