Dropped a 300b tube about 8 inches, is it OK?
Nov 22, 2004 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
One of my 300b tubes (shuguang) rolled off a low table (8 inches off the ground) and fell on a hardwood floor. There isn't any noticable internal or external damage.

Can I use it? Should I order a new set (expensive)? I have an old set of WEs that I honestly don't like too much, but in a pinch they will suffice while I wait for a new pair.

Worst case scenarios in terms of using damaged tubes would be appreciated. Also, any kinds of comments on the durability of tubes would be great too.

I'm pissed because these tubes had less than 200 hrs on them...

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I just talked to Sophia Electric on the phone and I am waiting to hear back from them. They told me that they are introducing a new 300b tube. Labeled the Sophia Electric 300B Princess tube.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 9
It should be OK, but watch and listen carefully the first time you try it. Good luck.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 9
I'd be interested in your impressions of the Princess tube if you do happen to get it. Note that it is not a 300B equivalent (although it will likely run okay in a 300B amp). I'd check with your amp's manufacturer and see what they say, particularly about the ~3x plate impedance of the Princess v. 300B.

Dropping a tube may range from harmless to dangerous. If no welds were compromised, no leakage in the glass formed, and the internal structure didn't severely misalign, the tube should be perfectly fine. If any of the above happened, you could be in for a short (and subsequently some spectacular fireworks). FWIW, I've dropped tubes before (including 300Bs) without incident.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Len,

The new Princess that Sophia is introducing is not yet listed on their website. The one on their site now is a 300b-style tube for 2a3 amps (I don't know) I think?

The one I was referring to is an actual 300b tube. They told me they'd be releasing it in about a week. I need to speak to someone over there to get the details. I may order a set just to try them. Like you, I am using a 300sei. If I do get them I'll be sure to let you know my impressions.

Thanks for the info. I'm scared of shorting out anything! I'll put in some crappy 6sn7s and give it a whirl, I guess.

100th post!
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
I just talked to Sophia Electric on the phone and I am waiting to hear back from them. They told me that they are introducing a new 300b tube. Labeled the Sophia Electric 300B Princess tube.

well, they may be introducing them but i have them & they sound great. they are not prototypes either. they are just short of inventory. they want to get them into the hands of the reviewers. i still don't don't how i finnessed a pair out of richard. i had to meet a total stranger at the side of a dark highway late on a friday night. receiving an amp without tubes on a friday night calls for desperate measures.

furthermore, they are the 300b mesh plate princess mark III & i love em to death.

Nov 25, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

One of my 300b tubes (shuguang) rolled off a low table (8 inches off the ground) and fell on a hardwood floor. There isn't any noticable internal or external damage.

Can I use it? Should I order a new set (expensive)? I have an old set of WEs that I honestly don't like too much, but in a pinch they will suffice while I wait for a new pair.

Worst case scenarios in terms of using damaged tubes would be appreciated. Also, any kinds of comments on the durability of tubes would be great too.

I'm pissed because these tubes had less than 200 hrs on them...

i would be pissed too for what they sell for. run them through a tube tester. btw, sophia sells a 1 yr warrantly. i don't know if using them for bowling pins voids the warranty. but, if the glass is not cracked & they sound good just enjoy them until you send them rolling again.

Nov 26, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 9
Stevie,

Thanks for the info. I will probably use the WEs I have and send back the Shuguangs to have them tested and at the same time I might order a pair of Princess 300bs.

If you have some time, maybe you could post some impressions of your Princess 300bs. I'd like to hear about them and how they compare to any other 300bs you have used.

I've been looking for some 300b monoblocs anyway, so I might have use for an extra set of tubes. I think they said they would have more next week.

I need to order some more 6sn7s too... Tis the season for tubes!

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Stevie,

Thanks for the info. I will probably use the WEs I have and send back the Shuguangs to have them tested and at the same time I might order a pair of Princess 300bs.

If you have some time, maybe you could post some impressions of your Princess 300bs. I'd like to hear about them and how they compare to any other 300bs you have used.

I've been looking for some 300b monoblocs anyway, so I might have use for an extra set of tubes. I think they said they would have more next week.

I need to order some more 6sn7s too... Tis the season for tubes!

i am not a good one to ask about 300b's. i only have the one pair. they were recommended to me by a fellow headfier. there are plenty of 6sn7's out there. len here on head-fi is a reputable & knowledgeable 6sn7 guy. it all depends on the amp & cans. -- & money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back