Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #571 of 654
I modded it with blutack, and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference from non-mod. Hifimans measure linear bass in general, but doesn't mean they hit hard.

Blue tack doesn't cut vibrations nearly as well as Dynamat or Sorbothane - its advantage is filling small places and being cheap. Dynamat is cheap as well but because of the metal backing isn't good for every application. Sorbothane is expensive and doesn't stick that well, but it really curbs the vibrations.

If you have a set of HE-500 w/o mods just pop off rear covers, and on the inside edges apply these 3 or any anti vibration solution (not liquid !). Before you do that, locate at least 5 cuts that has bass based on prior experience is too fat or too reverb on the 500. Then put screens back on so u are just testing the anti reverb.

At first I tried all sorbothane, but it was too dead. Eventually I ended up with 3 diff length pieces of Dynamat with gaps. Helps kill the occasionally sloggy bass, but allows vigor and thunder when called for. If you know about bass drivers in cabinets, I'd say the Q went from .95 (sloggy) down to .75-.80 range (.707 is "ideal" - a bit dry IMHO).

The ratio of the spaces and pieces is roughly: pieces 1.7", 1.1", .7" with gaps 1X, 1X, 1X.

My hierarchy of mods:

1. fuzzor - I've waxed ecstatic before in this thread.
2. pads (my testing says Ether Angled are the best) + rear screens off (they both help release the other).
2b. digital parametric EQ.
3. get rid of stock cable in place of DIY/cheap cable set for most current out of your amp (SE vs balanced) 22 or 24 ga, pure copper, good dielectric.
4. the mod described here.

not audible

5. Lighter headband
6. Keep away from cooking fumes.

Summary: some trouble and cost, but excepting the HE-6se at $699 I don't know anything under $1k that touches them. Certainly the Ananda is no match for them. The Arya is better.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #572 of 654
Hi Everyone!

I've received my pair yesterday, and I've left them to run for around 12hrs to "warm" them up. Not enough I know... any recommendations how many hours would be meaningful for them?

Out of the box + 12hrs + 3rd party balanced 4.4mm cables, I'm quite pleased with what these deliver. Being open headphones, there do give a sense of air, but nowhere near that of the HD800s of course. I'm going to spend some time to break them in and compare them. But right now, using The Way I Am by Charlie Puth as an example, I'm quite impressed that it manages to reproduce the sub-bass rumble in the song. The HD800s doesn't even pick them up, and the APMs barely do. The quality of the bass on these sounds to have potential! Although because of the much smaller soundstage, they do sound congested at times.

Right now I'm inclined to prefer the HE5XX for a more intimate listening experience - vocals mostly, while my HD800s remains the Classical / Instrumental go-to. Shall update again!

Afternote: Should I get some cheap tube amps to go with these? Dark Voice 336? Duoo TA-20?

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #576 of 654
Sorry I'm new to Planars... Is it normal for them to feel hot after using for a while? Like on the inside, where the drivers (magnets are). My ears touch them and I can feel the heat... and when I touch them with my fingers I feel it too.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #577 of 654
Right now I'm inclined to prefer the HE5XX for a more intimate listening experience - vocals mostly, while my HD800s remains the Classical / Instrumental go-to. Shall update again!
Didn't expect this statement, but it may just be that your other headphone is HD800. There are intimate headphones. Like 650/6XX is fairly intimate, and it's good for vocals, and worth a try.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #578 of 654
After a quick search decide to ask a newbie question - Just got this today - love the sound, but on my Asgard 3 in low gain mode, depending on the recording, have to turn it up sometimes past 3 to get a nice listening level. Given the stated impedance, 18 Ohms, it does sound like they indeed should be run in low gain mode - however it does feel like it it would benefit from running in high gain - however, don't know enough if the high gain mode in the Asgard 3 would damage the headphone - Any thoughts?

v

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #579 of 654
After a quick search decide to ask a newbie question - Just got this today - love the sound, but on my Asgard 3 in low gain mode, depending on the recording, have to turn it up sometimes past 3 to get a nice listening level. Given the stated impedance, 18 Ohms, it does sound like they indeed should be run in low gain mode - however it does feel like it it would benefit from running in high gain - however, don't know enough if the high gain mode in the Asgard 3 would damage the headphone - Any thoughts?

v

It is impedance and sensitivity together that determine how difficult a headphone is to drive, not impedance alone. For example, there are many higher impedance headphones that are easier to drive the HE5XX.

I would imagine you would be damaging your hearing before damaging the headphones if you run them louder in high gain than you can on low gain.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #580 of 654

v
I’ve run mine through high gain and resulted in clipping…

Btw, is it normal to feel heat from the drivers? I feel them after a few minutes.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #583 of 654
better imaging because of the point number 3
the pads that i am using are for Fostex th900, 105mm wide, the plastic hifiman rings fit perfect inside those pads, i can give you a link if you want
Could you please post link, as I would like to try this ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back