Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 5, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #301 of 654
https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he5xx/reviews/2728460

^Review includes tear down and measurments analysis. Also, comparison to HE500. Sunmary: “Not recommended.”
672576135900430346.png

Nov 5, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #302 of 654

^Review includes tear down and measurments analysis. Also, comparison to HE500. Sunmary: “Not recommended.”

It's kind of funny how these reviews seem to be all over the place. I really think expectation bias is playing a role here. The above review seems to focus mostly on the poor build quality and doesn't really elaborate on the sound quality much at all. Build quality is a huge part of it though. Even for me, I went in knowing I was going to sell or return my pair and acknowledge that I maybe didn't give them a fair shot. Although, I do think the clarity, speed, and overall neutrality is really nice for the price, just not my cup of tea. Sound quality aside, I personally can't get over the extremely poor fit. I am a 5'-11" adult male and there is no reason why the cups should hang too low on my ears with the smallest headband adjustment setting. Sure they are light and comfortable, but that combined with the non-existent clamp force has these things feeling like they could fall off my head at any moment.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #303 of 654

Lol, the magnet array of the HE5XX appears to be weak sauce compared to the magnet array used for the HE6/HE500 (both of these old HFM cans supposedly used the same magnet array). I can attest to the strength of the magnet array of the HE6/HE500 when accidently dropping the metal grille on it when trying to place the grille back in the cup recess.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #304 of 654

I was ready to be annoyed with another review focused entirely on HE500/5XX element, but I did think this statement was helpful:
If you are dead set on Deva for some reason and prefer how this looks, go for it. But I'd still recommend other products for the same price or less, such as 400i 2020 or HD6XX variant.

That's productive real world input that I think buyers can use. I wish there was more details on what specifically in the sound stands out with the 400i 2020 or 6XX, but at least the review let us know where they feel this headphone sits in compared to the current marketplace.

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #305 of 654
I was ready to be annoyed with another review focused entirely on HE500/5XX element, but I did think this statement was helpful:

That's productive real world input that I think buyers can use. I wish there was more details on what specifically in the sound stands out with the 400i 2020 or 6XX, but at least the review let us know where they feel this headphone sits in compared to the current marketplace.
The HE5XX should arrive to my address soon, which will then be compared to the HE500 and HD6XX. If anyone wants me to compare the HE5XX to any other can in my sig (other than my HEXv2, which is still stuck in my office), then please let me know.

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #306 of 654
Lol, the magnet array of the HE5XX appears to be weak sauce compared to the magnet array used for the HE6/HE500 (both of these old HFM cans supposedly used the same magnet array). I can attest to the strength of the magnet array of the HE6/HE500 when accidently dropping the metal grille on it when trying to place the grille back in the cup recess.
Did you see Tyll's videos? He took out the magnets and said 'don't try this at home folks' lol. And you can see why he said it.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #307 of 654

If you haven't already read it, check out page 3 of the Headfonia review for a direct comparison with the HD6XX here:

https://www.headfonia.com/drop-hifiman-he5xx-review/3/

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #308 of 654
mine are suppose to arrive tomorrow!!! I feel like these will be perfect for me since I mainly listen to jazz, the Grateful Dead and phish.

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #310 of 654
mod to remove the bass roll of
Screenshot (537).pngScreenshot (538).pngScreenshot (539).png

My brain wanted the graph for the modded-with-Blu-Tak to be blue to match the Blu-Tak and stock to be green but awesome mod, thanks for posting this and the graph :)

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #315 of 654
the mod basically just seal the pad better no?

The bracket on the ear side has a large gap so the volume is not sealed and this already weakly driven diaphragm can not properly excurse. This mod makes the driver behave much better overall (along with some rear damping because the headphone literally has none).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back