Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Oct 31, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #196 of 654
Literally anyone looking for information on the 5XX here will find the topic inunidiated about how its not an HE500. Literally nothing to do with the 5XX itself, just a bunch of people whining about something they don't even have.

But yes, let's continue discussing what it isn't. Let's saturate this thread so much, anyone looking for pertinent information on the 5XX will have to look elsewhere. I'll probably edit the title thread to 'The Official let's cry about the 5XX not being the 500" thread.

That’s a good thing. If I had bought this thinking it was a he-500 I’d be pretty angry. Now everyone will know that it’s a good planar headphone at a great price, but NOT a he-500. The internet is doing the job that hifiman did not do.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #197 of 654
That’s a good thing. If I had bought this thinking it was a he-500 I’d be pretty angry. Now everyone will know that it’s a good planar headphone at a great price, but NOT a he-500. The internet is doing the job that hifiman did not do.

Nicely put sir

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #198 of 654
It seemed to be a problem - on the very periphery of my awarness. I would say to you take that question elsewhere, because this thread is for this problem, with its details and particulars.

Calm down, Sennheiser HD58X used the name of Legendary HD580 for the marketing purpose, and we all know the chart of HD58X is not the same as HD580. This certainly applies to this case too, HE5XX is not the same as HE500.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #199 of 654
Calm down, Sennheiser HD58X used the name of Legendary HD580 for the marketing purpose, and we all know the chart of HD58X is not the same as HD580. This certainly applies to this case too, HE5XX is not the same as HE500.

Since you didn’t respond to the clear question of your affiliation I’m going to take everything you say as marketing. So is your affiliation with drop or hifiman or both? Shady.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #200 of 654

Sennheiser wasn't claiming it to be a 580 replacement.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #201 of 654
To be honest, the current version of HD6XX is quite disappointing, muddy with recessed treble, is it because now it's made in new factory in Romania? The 2003 version of HD600 sound best, treble is really good. Sennheiser moved entire 6XX production line out of Ireland, which concerns me a lot and now we clearly see the downgrade. I can see Drop’s move to bring back competition with the same price- head to head compete.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #202 of 654
This conversation is killing me. Loads of industries do this all the time. No one is freaking out that the new mustang is called a mustang. And a million more examples. It's a name and marketing hype. I think everyone needs to just look past the name and focus on if the quality of the product meets the price point.

If all marketing hype was 100% fact, the world would have no bad products.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #203 of 654
To be honest, the current version of HD6XX is quite disappointing, muddy with recessed treble, is it because now it's made in new factory in Romania? The 2003 version of HD600 sound best, treble is really good. Sennheiser moved entire 6XX production line out of Ireland, which concerns me a lot and now we clearly see the downgrade. I can see Drop’s move to bring back competition with the same price- head to head compete.
Nice copy past right there ciber Hifiman: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/drop-x-hifiman-he-5xx.945708/post-15948545

As pointed out by others - the HD6XX is not the HD600 but in fact the HD650. Get your facts straight at least.

Now that we have cleared up based on observation that the HE-5XX is likely a re-tuned Deva and not a reproduced HE-500, I'd be curious to hear the difference people have between the Deva and this one - and of course for people who own the HE-500 and bought this one for comparison as well.

This conversation is killing me.
To save yourself, better to avoid viewing this thread :)

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #204 of 654
This conversation is killing me. Loads of industries do this all the time. No one is freaking out that the new mustang is called a mustang. And a million more examples. It's a name and marketing hype. I think everyone needs to just look past the name and focus on if the quality of the product meets the price point.

I really feel like this is an apple to oranges example, but perhaps this will illustrate the point that people are trying to make...

Lets say Ford says they're re-releasing the mustang. But then it doesn't look like a mustang, drive like a mustang, or have anything to do with the original mustang aside from being released from Ford. Do you think people would bash the marketing? That they'd tell Ford they should have just marketed it as a new car? Do you think people who had been WAITING for a mustang would be disappointed? Do you think that when someone tells them that they're wrong to be unhappy about this it isn't helpful? Because its just marketing so its ok, right? Because it happens a million more times so THIS time you shouldn't be upset.

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #205 of 654
Now that we have cleared up based on observation that the HE-5XX is likely a re-tuned Deva and not a reproduced HE-500, I'd be curious to hear the difference people have between the Deva and this one - and of course for people who own the HE-500 and bought this one for comparison as well.

Actually, according to what information drop provided about the driver, it's not a retuned DEVA either.

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #206 of 654

Now you're just spamming with repeats of your previous posts

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #207 of 654

They don't dress up a 3 cylinder 1 litre family hatchback as a Mustang.

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #208 of 654
Actually, according to what information drop provided about the driver, it's not a retuned DEVA either.
Hence why I said 'likely', not as a matter of fact :)

Visual indicators point to it being a Deva in a different paint coating. Measurements I haven't done a thorough side-by-side comparison yet, but some have claimed here that it is close to being to the Deva than being the HE-500. You can view the measurements and make what you will out of it:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he5xx#imagecarousel

Crinacle's Deva measurements: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-deva/

HE-500 from Tyll's measurements for reference despite not using the same GRAS measurement: https://overearmania.com/2019/01/20/hifiman-he500/

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #209 of 654
Can we all put down our internal squabbling about the HE500 vs HE5XX long enough to call on @ciber and @TeamHiFiMAN to address any (obvious) connection between the two?
Lets stop arguing about the HE5XX (until more people have heard it) in order to demand answers as to whether or not a member of Hifiman just publicly badmouthed Sennheiser in order to defend a Hifiman product.

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #210 of 654
Drop has a return policy for those in the US or NA that applies, and I think it's best to hear than speculate if curious enough. If anybody's interested in it, try it out, and share what you all think. If any of you trying it out happen to have a HE500,provide us with a comparison if you can. If you think it's comparable, worth it in comparison, whatnot. Also, I think others will be interested in if many people think it's an improvement over the 4XX or not.

Drop is being pretty fair by providing a return policy at least. If you like it, you keep it, if not, it's not for you. I've never heard a Deva, so I cannot comment on how Deva sounds or if 5XX will sound like Deva. At least if somebody with a standardized rig can measure the Deva and 5XX, we'd have a fairly good idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back