Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #181 of 654
Oct 31, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #182 of 654
What about the advertisement and marketing of Sennheiser HD58X and HD580?

You didn’t address the accusation in the r10 thread, so let me ask this straight out and clearly: do you have any affiliation whatsoever with hifiman or drop?

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #183 of 654
You'd think the people upset it ain't an updated 500 would've moved on by now. Apparently not.
Why such hostility toward people that come here to discuss? You want use to take a review blindly and not discuss things that should be put out for necessary information for the public? Should we be censoring ourselves from certain discussions?

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #184 of 654
HD58X was good on its own merits. The HD580 already evolved into it’s spiritual and technical sucessors: 600, 650, and 6XX. The 58X stood on its own feet as a great product in another niche. Hardly anyone missed the HD580. More people miss the HE500. Its not been replaced since by something of quite similar character. And Hifiman’s marketing (and pricing) has shifted since into something else less appreciated by it’s old customers (and newer fans) of the HE500. So, disappointment and disapproval.
Yes, 58X was a good release. Pusing the pricepoint lower being cheaper alternatives to others in the family.

I've said this many times, Fang needs to work on increasing dynamics of his headphones. I think the reason why fans are split between Hifiman and Audeze is Hifiman not having enough dyanmics (and the obvious build quality differences) with the new models. Hifiman needs to step up the game and increase bass impact. It makes no sense for 10 years old headphone to have better bass impact than the current crop.

I keep hearing thinner diaphragms, but they not seem to help with strong impact of the sound. Perhaps due tho their thinness, they are fragile, and he doesn't want them tearing from high dynamics? I don't care, make thick ones like the classics then. We like the dynamics of the classics.

If Hifiman addresses this issue and price these headphones reasonabily, I won't bring up the classics. I promise. Lol

If Fang can't address this himself, where is Mr He?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #185 of 654
Yes, 58X was a good release. Pusing the pricepoint lower being cheaper alternatives to others in the family.

I've said this many times, Fang needs to work on increasing dynamics of his headphones. I think the reason why fans are split between Hifiman and Audeze is Hifiman not having enough dyanmics (and the obvious build quality differences) with the new models. Hifiman needs to step up the game and increase bass impact. It makes no sense for 10 years old headphone to have better bass impact than the current crop.

I keep hearing thinner diaphragms, but they not seem to help with strong impact of the sound. Perhaps due tho their thinness, they are fragile, and he doesn't want them tearing from high dynamics? I don't care, make thick ones like the classics then. We like the dynamics of the classics.

If Hifiman addresses this issue and price these headphones reasonabily, I won't bring up the classics. I promise. Lol

If Fang can't address this himself, where is Mr He?

Fang is shamelessly “resurrecting” Sony MDR10. Why not re-release his own legend in the HE500. His re-releases of HE6 and HE5 Ive not read much about so dont know if they went well... Oh Mr HE where are thee? Meanwhile Verum resurrects OG Hifiman with cheap and awesome planars. (Too bad Garuspik is a cheeky person that got exiled from forums).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #186 of 654
Fang is shamelessly “resurrecting” Sony MDR10. Why not re-release his own legend in the HE500. His re-releases of HE6 and HE5 Ive not read much about so dont know if they went well... Oh Mr HE where are thee? Meanwhile Verum resurrects OG Hifiman with cheap and awesome planars. (Too bad Garuspik is a cheeky person that got exiled from forums).
I can't say Verum sound is like classic Hifimans. Hifimans are open and airy typically, and Verum doesn't have those qualities, for which I disliked Verum. Tonality is good, but separation could be better.

I believe the original R10 was biocellulose, anf Fang doesn't make biocellulose. So, sound will likely be different.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #187 of 654
I can't say Verum sound is like classic Hifimans. Hifimans are open and airy typically, and Verum doesn't have those qualities, for which I disliked Verum. Tonality is good, but separation could be better.

Agreed. I like Hifimans for their specific open and airy design which is why I ordered the 5XX and traded my Verum for more Grado (other exquisitely open sounding headphones). Verum is supremely good at its price point but is a jack of all trades and not a high point in anything really (except in maybe linear planar treble). And ungainly and unsightly in dimensions.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #188 of 654
Literally anyone looking for information on the 5XX here will find the topic inunidiated about how its not an HE500. Literally nothing to do with the 5XX itself, just a bunch of people whining about something they don't even have.

But yes, let's continue discussing what it isn't. Let's saturate this thread so much, anyone looking for pertinent information on the 5XX will have to look elsewhere. I'll probably edit the title thread to 'The Official let's cry about the 5XX not being the 500" thread.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #189 of 654
Literally anyone looking for information on the 5XX here will find the topic inunidiated about how its not an HE500. Literally nothing to do with the 5XX itself, just a bunch of people whining about something they don't even have.

But yes, let's continue discussing what it isn't. Let's saturate this thread so much, anyone looking for pertinent 5XX information on the 5XX will have to look elsewhere.

Welcome to Head-Fi, where noise-to-signal is low, and criticizing sponsors is discouraged.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #190 of 654
Agreed. I like Hifimans for their specific open and airy design which is why I ordered the 5XX and traded my Verum for more Grado (other exquisitely open sounding headphones). Verum is supremely good at its price point but is a jack of all trades and not a high point in anything really. And ungainly and unsightly in dimensions.
I agree Verum has it's spot due to pricing, and I think it's for those seeking darker tonality than Hifimans. For me a used HE500 would be the better alternative, or Sennheisers. So, Verum doesn't have a place for my collection even with such price.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #191 of 654
I agree with both sides. Yes, you should have the freedom to post criticism directed at Hifiman. But at the same time I understand the annoyance it creates for those who just want to read and write about sound impressions.
Maybe this thread needs to be split up in two threads: "Drop Hifiman HE-5XX sound impressions only" and "Headphones marketing, the Do's and Don'ts".

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #192 of 654
If you are passionate enough to gossip around and poop on the entire collaboration line solely based on speculations, why not try them yourself and, well I don't know, be your own judge like an adult instead of relying solely on a few internet gossips and opinions of reviewers who most likely have different taste and ears?

Why can't we learn the lesson? A lot of people were passionate to spread the rumor about Sennheiser HD 58X and HD 660S. Oh, they have the same look, same impedance, and very similar frequency range. Even the shape of the driver look very similar and rumors were rampant across the community. For crying out loud, there are people who still believe this to be the case. We now know that this is absolutely not true.

What gossip? Are you familiar with the innards of the HE-500? I tore one down myself. Have you seen detailed pics of the innards of the 5xx? If so kindly point out ONE part that is the same? Trick question THERE ISN'T ONE. Do you actually believe a product with a much different curve from 100 Hz down and NO parts in common will sound quite or very similar to another. It's nonsense on the face.

Are you familiar with the FR maps, innards, and specs of the Deva and 5XX? Specs dead on, maps close and not at all similar to the 500.

Why should I spend my money on something I don't want because a company known for spreading mis-thruths linking new products to old favorably looks to have done so again?

Happy to review one. Never heard the kerfuffle about the MD Senns. But your example does not fit at all. They were making stuff up. I'm a retired engineer I look for facts. There are already lots of facts in evidence in this case.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #193 of 654
Detailed mention of HE500 is warranted here because I can see Drop's pushe to market 5XX to associate with 500. I was reading some of Will's comments, and he keeps referencing 500 with his satements. Will is just another marketer. He's obviously going to be biased toward drop and their marketing. Drop Panda anyone? Lol

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #194 of 654
What about the advertisement and marketing of Sennheiser HD58X and HD580?

It seemed to be a problem - on the very periphery of my awarness. I would say to you take that question elsewhere, because this thread is for this problem, with its details and particulars.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #195 of 654

But yes, let's continue discussing what it isn't. Let's saturate this thread so much, anyone looking for pertinent information on the 5XX will have to look elsewhere. I'll probably edit the title thread to 'The Official let's cry about the 5XX not being the 500" thread.

Both Hifiman and Drop are pushing it as a successor to the HE-500 so not sure your indignation can be taken seriously.

Have you read their comments on Drop? Have you read their marketing?

Those interested in a pair and reading the marketing by the pair above will at least be knowledgeable that this is nothing like a HE500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back