Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Oct 30, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #166 of 654
You'd think the people upset it ain't an updated 500 would've moved on by now. Apparently not.

I understand your position, you don't seem to understand mine. Since you are at a loggerheads perhaps you should ignore those you cannot or will not understand. We seem to understand where we are at quite well. Good luck to you.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #168 of 654
I realized bass is not easy to figure out based on measurements. Just straight up loudness per frequencies really don't cut it in terms of expressing the qualities of the bass.

It's quite true that you cannot fully describe bass from a FR chart. But there is much more evidence, to wit:

The Deva and 5XX have a similar FR, well different from the HE-500.

A physical examination shows that the Deva and 5XX are very similar and identical in some ways. The 500 is built 10 years earlier with far different technology - in fact it's 0% the same as the 5XX - and 10 db less efficient.

Then of course there are the marketing fibs of the near past:

5se - said to be a near copy of the HE-5 - (bass dropped like a stone under 70 Hz, unlike the HE-5 or HE5-LE) not even close and it was a disgraceful piece of rubbish, immune to mods.

6se - said to be a near copy of the HE-6. You yourself know this isn't a HE-6 since you listened to my HE-6se. It's worked out well, but it simply isn't a HE-6 despite the claims that it was - they were way out over their skis on that, idiotically so, since I located and listed the differences in about 4 minutes.

I agree that 5XX label is part of marketing. It sounds like it's essentially a Deva, and they should have called it Drop X Deva or something to be transparent with the consumers.

Can't disagree with that.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #169 of 654
I have Sennheiser HD600 (2003 Version), HD58X (Mod version, sound close to 660S), HD6XX. To be honest, the current version of HD6XX is quite disappointing, muddy with recessed treble, is it because now it's made in new factory in Romania? The 2003 version of HD600 sound best, treble is really good. Sennheiser moved entire 6XX production line out of Ireland, which concerns me a lot and now we clearly say see the downgrade on its sound quality. This actually does give competitors the opportunity. I can see Drop’s move to bring back competition with the same price- head to head compete. This 5XX has its unique edge over HD6XX, especially on the soundstage, clarity and openness.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #170 of 654
I have Sennheiser HD600 (2003 Version), HD58X (Mod version, sound close to 660S), HD6XX. To be honest, the current version of HD6XX is quite disappointing, muddy with recessed treble, is it because now it's made in new factory in Romania? The 2003 version of HD600 sound best, treble is really good. Sennheiser moved entire 6XX production line out of Ireland, which concerns me a lot and now we clearly say see the downgrade on its sound quality. This actually does give competitors the opportunity. I can see Drop’s move to bring back competition with the same price- head to head compete. This 5XX has its unique edge over HD6XX, especially on the soundstage, clarity and openness.

You know the 6XX is the 650 not the 600 right? Of course it sounds different than the 600. Also, Sennheiser still makes the drivers in Ireland for the 600 series, same factory. There is no downgrade in sound quality. They just moved production for other components to Romania

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #171 of 654
From what I've read of that move by Sennheiser, there was a brief 6 month window at the start where the tuning on models coming out of Romania were inferior, and then these assembly issues stopped.

If you bought a HD6XX in Q4 2018 through to Q2 2019 (or stock from then) it's possible that this is what you're experiencing, and you might be entitled to exchange the headphone.

You can read more on this measurable observation here.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #172 of 654
I appreciate all of the posts saying otherwise, but I think there is nothing wrong with being disappointed. I am among many who wanted to try the discontinued he-500, so I was extremely excited when I heard about these. Finding out that is not the case was disappointing, regardless if they are competent headphones priced well. Especially since the marketing and name led me to believe they were the he-500. I’m not in the market for a good $220 planar. I would have been in the market to try a discontinued well reviewed he-500, and I actually just bought a used one from a fellow head fier.

I understand what people are saying about how these are good on their own merit, and that the negative people should move on, but I feel the negative comments were created by the marketing, and is valid.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #173 of 654
Ehh it's an easy mistake to make. I also originally assumed the Deva was single-sided because of the diagram until HiFiMAN corrected me.
Yeah but you are a reviewer. He's the Chief Product Officer at Drop and claims to have designed these. He started the post with the claim, "the drivers are completely different", then proceed to make false statements about the other product...

What I don't like about this whole thing is the lack of sincerety. I can give him the benefit of the doubt that he and Drop did in fact design the drivers, and they are "completely different", and that it might just be a total coincidence that his design and the Deva have the same numbers and specs. But when his customers want to know what the differences are, he doesn't need to make stuff up. I'm sure someone at his level could've simply texted Fang Bian asking "my customers want to know how this is different from the Deva, what should I tell them?"

And the tone in his second post just sounded wrong. He basically started it by saying, (I'm paraphrasing) "I'm a little mad that I have to waste time explaing this to you idiots." He's not just a random community member on Drop. He's an exec of an company addressing his customers.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #174 of 654
If you are passionate enough to gossip around and poop on the entire collaboration line solely based on speculations
Doubt anyone is gossiping here - merely contributing to the thread with opinions, good or bad. They can shill or poop on anything - welcome to an open forum.

Hifiman has beein infamous recently for their advertisement and marketing, and IMO they deserve the abhorrent responses from certain groups of people with the way they marketed the HE-5XX, because there are strong indicators that reveal exaggeration and marketing tactics from their end. They'll never revive the original HE-500, they'll just try to get close to it as they can with what they currently have.

Alas, we can only wait to see how close they can get to the HE-500 with material/driver/design hinting of an overall re-tuned Deva, despite the Drop Product Manager spitting out inconsistent statements with Hifiman's top executive officer.

Why can't we learn the lesson?
Can we say the same to Hifiman's marketing strategy?

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #176 of 654
^The problem with that example is that you can still buy the HD580. It’s called an HD600:wink:
They use the same drivers.
Now which current Hifiman headphone sports the drivers of the HE500?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #177 of 654
What about the advertisement and marketing of Sennheiser HD58X and HD580?

HD58X was good on its own merits. The HD580 already evolved into it’s spiritual and technical sucessors: 600, 650, and 6XX. The 58X stood on its own feet as a great product in another niche. Hardly anyone missed the HD580. More people miss the HE500. Its not been replaced since by something of quite similar character. And Hifiman’s marketing (and pricing) has shifted since into something else less appreciated by it’s old customers (and newer fans) of the HE500. So, disappointment and disapproval.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #178 of 654
What about the advertisement and marketing of Sennheiser HD58X and HD580?

Sennheiser set very clear expectations regarding the sound and was upfront as to what driver they are using.

Hifiman and Drop cant even get their own version of events to match.

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #180 of 654
I am actually looking forward to receiving mine even though I’m 99% certain that it’s a wired Deva in black. It’s cheap and the sound signature is refreshingly different to my original HE500 and Sundara...and I generally dig Hifiman cans.
What I don’t like is the suspect marketing...although reading the Drop “clarifications” was a bit of a hoot. Clear as mud. Use the force and you’ll be able to sort out the rest for yourself. I particularly enjoyed the bit about the magnets:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back