DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #556 of 767
I should have been more clear. Has anyone figured how to connect the Panda to Windows 10 via Bluetooth as a headset and get LDAC quality?

It can indeed connect to my PC via Bluetooth but compared to my Samsung phone which supports the LDAC codec but the quality is poor and the connection is rather unstable.

Adding a USB Audio -> Bluetooth sound device is fine as long that solution support a headset profile for video conferencing and the LDAC codec.

Thanks

Thomas

I don't think there's a way to get LDAC on PC, best you can do is either APTX or APTX HD.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #557 of 767
I should have been more clear. Has anyone figured how to connect the Panda to Windows 10 via Bluetooth as a headset and get LDAC quality?

It can indeed connect to my PC via Bluetooth but compared to my Samsung phone which supports the LDAC codec but the quality is poor and the connection is rather unstable.

Adding a USB Audio -> Bluetooth sound device is fine as long that solution support a headset profile for video conferencing and the LDAC codec.

Thanks

Thomas
One of the Shanling DAPs support LDAC transmission. That’s pretty much it for LDAC transmitters...

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #558 of 767
Yes, I have looked at the Shanling players/Dacs before. Does anyone know whether the Shanling solution works as a headset or just as headphones? I am looking to use the Panda for video conferences.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #559 of 767
I gotta say, the more I use the Panda, the more I like them. Wireless headphones have always been a tradeoff forsaking sound quality for convenience/features. Not any more. I have my Audeze Mobius and my Taotronics Soundsurge 46, that latter that are my go to for wireless. I've got several sets of TWS earbuds, but they are so iffy when it comes to position and comfort vs. over-the-ear headphones for me; try as I might, I just cannot get there from a comfort standpoint.

Regardless, the Panda craps all over all of them.

I find myself reaching for the Panda rather than my wired headphones just so I can move freely about the house untethered to anything.

I may have to pick up a second pair.

It will be interesting to see what the forthcoming app brings to the table.

I contacted Drop about the possibility of obtaining replacement earpads (I'm one with sweaty ears and once we hit Summer weather, that will be a thing), and they said they haven't figured out when/how they are going to sell replacement pads yet. I hope they actually do so.

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #560 of 767
Yes, I have looked at the Shanling players/Dacs before. Does anyone know whether the Shanling solution works as a headset or just as headphones? I am looking to use the Panda for video conferences.
Bluetooth headphone-headset combos are always going to have crappy audio/glitches and issues when set to headset mode. idk why this is but headset audio and media audio are treated differently with the latter having the superior sonics, but the former has the benefit of being able to use a mic. Drop should’ve added a wireless usb dongle option ala Audeze Penrose.

Imo the best solution is to get a separate wireless mic. Antlion has a wireless ModMic that can attach to the Pandas.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #561 of 767
Bluetooth headphone-headset combos are always going to have crappy audio/glitches and issues when set to headset mode. idk why this is but headset audio and media audio are treated differently with the latter having the superior sonics, but the former has the benefit of being able to use a mic. Drop should’ve added a wireless usb dongle option ala Audeze Penrose.

Imo the best solution is to get a separate wireless mic. Antlion has a wireless ModMic that can attach to the Pandas.

V-moda boom pro is also a good option if you want a mic that can plug directly into the 3.5mm port on the panda but you will be wired at that point.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #562 of 767
The Antlion wireless solution looks interesting. However, it ships with it's own USB dongle. Can a Shanling Bluetooth device plugged into one USB port and this dongle in a second work at the same time without interference?

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #563 of 767
The Antlion wireless solution looks interesting. However, it ships with it's own USB dongle. Can a Shanling Bluetooth device plugged into one USB port and this dongle in a second work at the same time without interference?
There’s always going to be interference, especially if you live in an apartment complex, but moreso the closer these sources are placed next to each other. I would recommend that you plug the two adapters as far away as you can. Personally, I installed a wireless adapter (Wifi/Bluetooth) directly into my computer’s PCIe slot. This is said to give the most stable connection compared to generic bluetooth usb adapters, but even then I still get short dropouts every once in awhile. Bluetooth is very much hit-or-miss so your mileage may vary severely.

Nov 26, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #565 of 767
So you have a single Bluetooth adapter for both the Antlion mic and a headphone both using LDAC over that adapter in both directions?
No I don’t use any of those. Just typing out second-hand knowledge. The wireless Modmic only connects to its usb receiver—an aptxLL transmitter, it seems. PCIe wireless adapters can only transmit Windows’ ‘basic’ bluetooth codecs—SBC and aptx, if you have the driver. Additional bluetooth codecs would have to be added via a dedicated bluetooth transmitter, and the Shanling (whatever model it is) seems to be the only one that can connect to a PC and transmit LDAC.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #566 of 767
I received mine and noticed a few things that are bothering me; I'll just copy paste my comment from Drop.com and ask you guys the same questions

I am an Indiegogo backer (August batch) and I would like to know whether these issues are "normal" and consistent for all pairs and batches

1) faint noise: while not like any of my other Bluetooth headphones (very faint and almost unhearable), I can still hear noise (before the AMP shuts down after ~10 secs), and it's more noticeable on the right earcup (would still classify as virtually silent)

2) weird static glitches: this only happened one time for now, but I could hear some intermittent static glitches (like small electric arcs) when no sound was playing before the AMP shut down

3) there's teeny tiny more bass on the left earcup, but if I cover the AUX port with my finger, there is WAY LESS bass, covering the USB-C port with my fingers reduces the bass on the right earcup (interesting)

4) Getting away a few meters and pressing my hand against the right earcup will drop the signal

BONUS) I read a comment on Indiegogo stating "found out that Drop switched the bluetooth module in the cheapest tier units. So now they add noise" (EDIT: this is just speculation, and most certainly false)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #567 of 767
now I want to cry, I got my replacement set today, Left side only works wired and right side only works with bluetooth

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #568 of 767
Received mine yesterday. All good so far no problems and they sound great. Really looking forward to the app!

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #569 of 767
now I want to cry, I got my replacement set today, Left side only works wired and right side only works with bluetooth
Face it. You were evil in a prior life. How else to explain it? :) Sorry, really, hope they fix it. When they do you’ll have a great set of headphones - and an even greater story to tell!

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #570 of 767
Mine arrived yesterday. Everything looking good and working well so far. The little zip case is great and I like the little details of building into the case a small cable "bin" to easily carry the cables around, and that they have velcro straps on them - small details that make life easier.

I mainly bought them for wired use rather than wireless, but tried pairing it with my M11Pro and LDAC does indeed sound pretty good - I hadn't actually heard LDAC bluetooth before, way better than SBC using my iPhone. Wired use sounds great and overall the signature seems the same between wired and wireless, as intended by Drop.

I was a bit nervous about how they'd sound as in all honesty I was never sold on the Oppo PM-3s after trialling them a few times instore, but despite the similar driver these seem tuned quite differently. So far the sound is pretty impressive, nice black, quiet background, good sense of space. They don't have as much kick and punch down low as my B&W P7s, but I guess that would be expected. They're quite detailed but simultaneously smooth, like it avoids anything too glaring or bright. I'll listen for a good week or so before thinking too much more about the sound yet. Has anyone noticed changes with burn-in? I haven't seen anything mentioned in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back