DROP + THX Panda Announcement
May 9, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #392 of 767
FYI, Based on the original reviews while DROP used the same drivers as the PM-3 they dont sound the same, drop retuned the headphone.
I think I read from someone's experience either here or on another forum that they sound very similar or follow a similar tuning, but it's not yet to people's hands so I would take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

But I still don't find the tuning of the PM3s good - too unnatural I find.

May 9, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #394 of 767
Any recommendations regarding the Panda (or any headphone) are nothing more than hearsay and speculation if you haven't yet heard it. It's okay to be hopeful or doubtful, but making decisions or recommendations based on those feelings is a little foolhardy, I think.

Also, not everybody agrees that the PM-3 sounds bad. In fact, there's an entire thread of people that feel differently and it's been an official recommendation of more than one website.

That said, based on the graphs, I'm hopeful that the Panda will be a little less boring than the PM-3. In my opinion the Oppo's boringness (unnaturalness?) comes from a small dip in the 250-500Hz region, which it looks like the Panda has solved. Assuming that this is approximately how I EQ the PM-3, it could still sound very similar to the PM-3 but still be noticeably less boring/unnatural.

If you're needing to decide whether to get the Panda or Sundara, maybe start with whether you want a closed-back Bluetooth headphone, or an open wired one. Those are probably the biggest differentiators, in my opinion.

May 14, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #397 of 767
I think multiple color SKUs means higher costs. By only offering black, that's one more thing Drop doesn't have to worry about in terms.

May 14, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #398 of 767
I think multiple color SKUs means higher costs. By only offering black, that's one more thing Drop doesn't have to worry about in terms.
Guys, do not forgot that most audiophile headphones come in 1 color.
Sennheiser HD600/650, HD800, HD820, entire Focal line, etc. etc. - they all come in 1 color. Drop THX Panda coming in 1 color is NOT the exception to the rule!!

May 15, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #399 of 767
Guys, do not forgot that most audiophile headphones come in 1 color.
Sennheiser HD600/650, HD800, HD820, entire Focal line, etc. etc. - they all come in 1 color. Drop THX Panda coming in 1 color is NOT the exception to the rule!!

I didn't mean that they should have multiple colors; I was saying that they could have put contrasting colors into the one color that they sell. I believe we can all agree that the overall design of the ones that you listed all look much nicer than the Pandas, because they just have better build quality. A way to mask build quality is with design imo.

May 15, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #400 of 767
I didn't mean that they should have multiple colors; I was saying that they could have put contrasting colors into the one color that they sell. I believe we can all agree that the overall design of the ones that you listed all look much nicer than the Pandas, because they just have better build quality. A way to mask build quality is with design imo.
Got it. Yeah, I guess you're right in that the Panda design is not very unique or standing out...

May 15, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #401 of 767
Got it. Yeah, I guess you're right in that the Panda design is not very unique or standing out...

I also understand your point though! Good sounding headphones don't have to look good or be unnecessarily flashy. With that being said, I did order these for the July shipment I believe, so should be a fun little experience when they eventually get here.

May 15, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #402 of 767
I also understand your point though! Good sounding headphones don't have to look good or be unnecessarily flashy. With that being said, I did order these for the July shipment I believe, so should be a fun little experience when they eventually get here.
I am on the cheapest batch, which I think was for Aug. shipment if memory serves...

May 19, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #403 of 767
I have a set of Pandas on order for the earliest batch - June. While watching this thread and the somewhat lukewarm reviews, and seeing some interesting competitors come out of the fray (Hifiman Deva for $299 and Razer Opus for $200) by way of example, is there any current consensus on whether the Panda is still looking like a winner? I realize these other items are different (open backed or ANC) but I think they get close enough to the Panda to warrant a discussion. Are the Panda beginning to look overpriced? This is the problem with technology and crowd-funding. By the time the item has delivered, others have caught up. While the Panda still looks intriguing to me, given the concerns over the SQ, I'm beginning to second guess my investment. Anyone else feeling this way? For those locked into the cheaper tiers, the value proposition may be different. So, should I hang in there? Mass drop has indicated they will accept cancellations up to a point.

May 19, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #404 of 767
Is there any serious statement about the SQ of your mentioned bluetooth headphones?

If i were you, i'd wait for them to arrive at your home. :wink:

May 19, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #405 of 767
Is there any serious statement about the SQ of your mentioned bluetooth headphones?

If i were you, i'd wait for them to arrive at your home. :wink:

I think the Deva has a decent chance of outperforming the Panda on SQ alone. The reviews on the Deva are pretty good. It's possible that the Deva will not be cross-shopped with the Panda due to open v. closed but I could see some buyers compare the two and go for the Deva particularly given the lower price. In any event, I agree that I've waited this long so I might as well ride it out. The Razor is probably more consumer oriented but does offer a THX certified amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back