DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Mar 22, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #346 of 767
Adding to @jsmiller58 detailed reply:
Since so many have joined the campaign, you can expect some to sell it as barely used shortly after they get it. Let's face it: there is always a small % who won't like the fit or the sound, and sell it within a week or less. That would also be cheaper than current pre-order price... So that is another option for you if you miss or decide to skip the campaign.

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #347 of 767
Sounds good. Right now I'm reading up on how these compare to the Sennheiser HD 6xx cans. I could pull off the purchase but, to me at least, $400 is a pretty big investment. I guess I don't understand how so much money has been pledged without all the pre-order slots been taken either.
They have been closing and adding more pre-order spots as the campaign goes on so don't use that as a indicator of units sold.

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #348 of 767
Sounds good. Right now I'm reading up on how these compare to the Sennheiser HD 6xx cans. I could pull off the purchase but, to me at least, $400 is a pretty big investment. I guess I don't understand how so much money has been pledged without all the pre-order slots been taken either.

The more popular an item is, the more likely Drop is to have it as 'Shop' item - at least as far as I've seen in the past. You're probably ok to wait, there will definitely be availability on the used market or the Drop store.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #349 of 767
The more popular an item is, the more likely Drop is to have it as 'Shop' item - at least as far as I've seen in the past. You're probably ok to wait, there will definitely be availability on the used market or the Drop store.
Right now I'm trying to find some video reviews that put the Sennheiser HD 6xx head to head with the Pandas.

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #351 of 767
If you find something like that, could you post a link? I'm also in the market and I'd really like to see a head to head
You know, it's funny. I've been looking for at least a half-hour now and I can't find a single review that puts the two head-to-head. I wonder if there is some kind of deal they have with reviewers that doesn't allow them to compare the current Panda model head-to-head with another set of headphones since technically the "final" Panda model isn't out yet. Or maybe it's a rule against comparing two models that are both Drop products when one is still not the final model......not sure but it does seem odd.

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #352 of 767
You know, it's funny. I've been looking for at least a half-hour now and I can't find a single review that puts the two head-to-head. I wonder if there is some kind of deal they have with reviewers that doesn't allow them to compare the current Panda model head-to-head with another set of headphones since technically the "final" Panda model isn't out yet. Or maybe it's a rule against comparing two models that are both Drop products when one is still not the final model......not sure but it does seem odd.

There definitely could be a review embargo or something in place... which is a real shame, I know $400 isn't a ton of money in the long run, but it's still a lot to plop down on something sight unseen with only in a vacuum style reviews. I've had good luck with Drop stuff before, but I'm really hesitant on audio equipment because of the subjectivity..

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #353 of 767
There definitely could be a review embargo or something in place... which is a real shame, I know $400 isn't a ton of money in the long run, but it's still a lot to plop down on something sight unseen with only in a vacuum style reviews. I've had good luck with Drop stuff before, but I'm really hesitant on audio equipment because of the subjectivity..
There was a review embargo, and then a bunch of reviewers posted their reviews at the same time on the same day. The reason no one’s compared the two is probably because they’re not all that similar; one is an open back wired dynamic, the other is a closed back wireless planar. I’m sure once people start getting their hands on them comparisons will start appearing but it probably didn’t make sense for the reviewers to compare them at the time because most of the general people watching were more concerned about how they compared to other wireless headphones.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #354 of 767
I feel you there. On top of it all, I'm a mechanical keyboard "snob" so just imagine what my subjectivity is going to be like for $400 lol. Then again, the best pair of cans I've ever really listened to are my Sennheiser HD280s, so I'm sure the Pandas and/or the Sennheiser HD6XX cans will sound god-like to me.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #356 of 767
For those that are on the fence on pre-ordering, do you think that Drop will not mass produce their most popular headphone to sell in their website? Sure they will be a little more expensive but guarantee you they will be available. I will wait, just to make sure all the bugs get worked out.

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #357 of 767
For those that are on the fence on pre-ordering, do you think that Drop will not mass produce their most popular headphone to sell in their website? Sure they will be a little more expensive but guarantee you they will be available. I will wait, just to make sure all the bugs get worked out.

How many Massdrop-developed products have been discontinued? There is a strong business case to keep their "tastemaker" products available. The Massdrop Plus was the last major hype train along these lines and it's available on the website today. No reason to think this will be any different in terms of it being on sale for a few years.

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #358 of 767
Would anybody who has already listened to the Panda be willing to speculate as to its potential basshead performance if onboard DSP is ultimately enabled / with some EQ work on the source?

When I'm in the mood, I like the power and performance of the JVC HA-SZ2000 (coupled with good amplification and EQ tweaks) and the Nuraphone (which I guess might be unfair, due to the external 'thump' the Nuraphone provides).

I like what I'm reading and hearing about the Panda for those times I'm not in the mood to rattle my skull, but am curious if it will have the versatility to rise to the occasion - with the right tuning.

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #359 of 767
Would anybody who has already listened to the Panda be willing to speculate as to its potential basshead performance if onboard DSP is ultimately enabled / with some EQ work on the source?

When I'm in the mood, I like the power and performance of the JVC HA-SZ2000 (coupled with good amplification and EQ tweaks) and the Nuraphone (which I guess might be unfair, due to the external 'thump' the Nuraphone provides).

I like what I'm reading and hearing about the Panda for those times I'm not in the mood to rattle my skull, but am curious if it will have the versatility to rise to the occasion - with the right tuning.
I need this same info. I'm primarily a hip-hop and EDM listener in the market for my first set of high end fans. Torn between these and HD 6XX.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #360 of 767
Yup, EDM head here: I think the potential highly
Likely there for audiophile basshead.

I’ve learned that low distortion drivers are especially friendly to EQ shaping. The Panda is both low distortion at the driver and high powered in the amp. It would be an ideal tone shaping platform.

Oh yeah: yes, I’ve heard them. My biggest niggle is that the sub bass needs more attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back