DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Jan 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #77 of 767
Mind PMing me a screenshot? There was an issue with German and Italian addresses this morning that we're just resolving now.
It's all fine now.
Signed in and did a request.
Awaiting the next stage. :)

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #78 of 767
But I can't find it lol.

Maybe it's limited to US customers ATM?

Oh i see. This is probably why. Via my email.
Screenshot_20200124-205714434 (1).jpg

So basically you had to have hit the Notification button before.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #79 of 767
Mind PMing me a screenshot? There was an issue with German and Italian addresses this morning that we're just resolving now.

I am currently in the Arab Gulf working as an expat. I will probably use a Mail forwarding service.

I had not put an European address.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #80 of 767
I think I will jump on this. I am concerned about the comments regarding bass being not tight or full, I hope you can address this for the production run.

Very happy to see LDAC and AptX HD being used. It's the main thing I look for in Wireless headphones, making wireless a viable option for listening.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #81 of 767
I think I will jump on this. I am concerned about the comments regarding bass being not tight or full, I hope you can address this for the production run.

Very happy to see LDAC and AptX HD being used. It's the main thing I look for in Wireless headphones, making wireless a viable option for listening.

Even has Aptx-Lower Latency! For home theater use and gamers.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #82 of 767

If you can't see the embedded video above, please click here.

Drop x THX Panda Headphones - Review, Measurements, Will Bright - Head-Fi TV

What happens when a lifelong Head-Fi'er has the resources to develop a wireless headphone for other Head-Fi'ers? The Drop x THX Panda. It's a wireless headphone with high-resolution Bluetooth codecs and a built-in THX-AAA amplifier. Will Bright from Drop stopped by Head-Fi HQ to talk about the Panda and to measure it (with measurements included in the video).

Drop x THX Panda Headphones - Review, Measurements, Will Bright - Head-Fi TV - Produced by Brian Murphy and Jude Mansilla
The Drop x THX Panda can be ordered now through Indiegogo at the following link:

The measurements in this post were made using:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #85 of 767
This is a pretty cool looking piece of kit and I'm excited to get to try it out. From the measurements, it looks like the PM-3's small dip at 250Hz (as seen in Tyll Hertsen's measurements) is gone. More than the treble, this is what I've always found to make the PM-3 sound boring, even though it's a small anomaly. I'm eager to know how this pans out in listening.
@WillBright might have been hesitant to say it, but I think the PM-3 scales beautifully, more than I've experienced with my other headphones. My DT 1990, for instance, is subtly better through tubes, but I find the PM-3 to be nearly transformed through the same amp. Of course I haven't heard the Panda, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also scales well.

What I'm most intrigued/excited by, though, is the design process. There's so much in the world that's half-assed in design. I'm constantly muttering about bad design screwing up the ability to do something. For the love of God, why is everything in a car controlled on a screen with multiple menus?! Or Why in the world is a humidifier that fills with mold and mildew nearly impossible to clean?! It seems like products often come into existence without ever going through a rigorous design process, without anybody ever considering what's the best way to do this? or what could go wrong? I realize that the Panda is not a car or a humidifier, but it excites me to hear that actual research went into this. That little joystick looks cool. The fact that the headphones go into the case without having to be completely collapsed is also satisfying. And you know what? Sometimes plastic is a better material than more luxurious ones! (Hopefully those won't be famous last words) I'm sure there will be other things that niggle (there always are, everything is a compromise), but I love that at least some thought has gone into things.
@WillBright, I'd love to hear more about the design process, if you're willing to share. How are you doing your market research? How much prototyping are you doing? Do you guys use focus groups or let laymen use prototypes? I'm sure that's insider information, but that won't stop me from being curious!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #86 of 767
Got these at home. Unfortunately I received them at the start of a busy week for me, so I couldn't get TOO much headtime between then and now.

I was trying to write quick impressions before my review. Hopefully the impressions will done sooner than later.

All I will say atm is that it sounds excellent, both wired and wirelessly. No major discrepancy between the sounds either. Bluetooth might be a just a tad more bassy.

Definitely bassier than the LCD1, as well as Mobius (in Default preset). So if you wanted something a bit juicier down low, the Panda is that.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #87 of 767
Has anyone seen something like this before? Jude, DMS, Josh Valour, Zeos and others have all posted reviews within the last two hours. That’s crazy! Wonder if it was planned lol.

Yes, it was certainly planned -- though I didn't know who else had it. You're likely to see this kind of multi-posting happening when there's a clearly defined press embargo end-date, and if the company arranges for ample time ahead of that date to get information to you and to let you use the launching product.

In this case, Drop had been in touch with me for a long time ahead of this, providing information along the way, getting product here with enough time to listen and measure, and Will visiting after Christmas but before the New Year (a visit that was also planned well in advance). In other words, it was quite clear that Drop had their ducks in a row. We had plenty of time to finish the video beforehand, so it was ready to go ahead of the embargo's end.

Obviously, Drop prepared similarly with the other folks who posted.

You're less likely to see multi-posting like this when a company provides a short window -- when they call and say, "In case you're interested in posting about it, we've got a new product launching next week."

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #88 of 767
Does it have multi point connection?

Latest wireless headphones from B&W and Bose are excellent when it comes to how they handle multible connections. Especially via their respective apps.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #89 of 767
Yes, it was certainly planned -- though I didn't know who else had it. You're likely to see this kind of multi-posting happening when there's a clearly defined press embargo end-date, and if the company arranges for ample time ahead of that date to get information to you and to let you use the launching product.

In this case, Drop had been in touch with me for a long time ahead of this, providing information along the way, getting product here with enough time to listen and measure, and Will visiting after Christmas but before the New Year (a visit that was also planned well in advance). In other words, it was quite clear that Drop had their ducks in a row. We had plenty of time to finish the video beforehand, so it was ready to go ahead of the embargo's end.

Obviously, Drop prepared similarly with the other folks who posted.

You're less likely to see multi-posting like this when a company provides a short window -- when they call and say, "In case you're interested in posting about it, we've got a new product launching next week."
Thanks Jude! That makes heaps of sense :)

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #90 of 767
For those interested, here's some video I shot and impressions from the launch event party that Drop had a couple of weeks ago at their SF office:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back