DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #106 of 767
I for one would like to never add any ANC to any true audiophile level product.

ANC is something we definitely don't need outside of you constantly getting on a plane or train, etc. If you want ANC, get a headphone purely focused on that.

Just....no. Keep it away. Passive noise isolation is enough. ANC makes me sick, really.

As for ability to swap pads, the Panda has mounted pads that snap on, but you can definitely remove them and try and find pads that have a large enough lip to go over. I tried with the Shure 1540 Alcantara pad, and they fit well enough. Didn't sound great unfortunately. I don't wanna cut out the inner screen of those pads just to see if it makes it better, either.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #107 of 767
Anyone knows if the money is taken now? or it was taken when the campaign finish? Or when the product its sent? Any information?

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #108 of 767
Anyone knows if the money is taken now? or it was taken when the campaign finish? Or when the product its sent? Any information?

it’s charged now.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #109 of 767
Having burned myself several times on IndieGoGo Flexible funding projects, this is a hard NO for me at this time.

Hope it comes to real production (even if at a higher price) with the painful headband fixed later on.
10418507_thumb.png

Attachments

• flexible funding.png
    flexible funding.png
    43 KB · Views: 0
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #110 of 767
Having burned myself several times on IndieGoGo Flexible funding projects, this is a hard NO for me at this time.

Hope it comes to real production (even if at a higher price) with the painful headband fixed later on.
10418507_thumb.png
Being the company behind the project is Drop - I would NOT worry about it personally!

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #111 of 767
Well, I've been looking for some wireless headphones given I have absolutely no wireless products at the moment and well, it is kind of handy. So I've just put in on the Indiegogo. They're about the same price as most other reasonably-priced wireless options out there (if not a bit cheaper) and I've never really liked ANC so they should suit me fine. Give me some good acoustic isolation any day (like my trusty P7s!). Just watched the video with Jude and it seems like the team has been working hard on this one, so thanks Will and team :)

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #112 of 767
Question to the people that auditioned the Panda:
Does it work well with glasses, and how does it work for bigger ears?
The latter is my biggest concern...

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #113 of 767
I'm also wondering how it does with glasses. The PM-3's bass pretty much disappears if the seal is broken, which is a major shortcoming for me. No going out with sunglasses, no lying around the house when I take out my contacts. I'm willing to bet that (other than severe bassheads) the people complaining the PM-3 doesn't have enough bass just aren't able to get a good seal (I think one of the very first impressions of the Panda also mentioned lack of bass and my first thought was glasses wearer or just can't get a seal).

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #114 of 767

I brought some sunglasses with me to test this, did not have any issues. I don’t think my ears are particularly big so can’t answer the big ear question, but the pads did seem quite large.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #115 of 767
I'm also wondering how it does with glasses. The PM-3's bass pretty much disappears if the seal is broken, which is a major shortcoming for me. No going out with sunglasses, no lying around the house when I take out my contacts. I'm willing to bet that (other than severe bassheads) the people complaining the PM-3 doesn't have enough bass just aren't able to get a good seal (I think one of the very first impressions of the Panda also mentioned lack of bass and my first thought was glasses wearer or just can't get a seal).

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #116 of 767

They sealed just fine for me.
The bass was NOT was I would expect from THX.
It had some punch but it did not feel right to me.
Slightly muddy.
I brought some Fostex TH-6XX Purplehearts with me to compare bass.
The purplehearts have much better bass.
Keep in mind the Purplehearts are semi-openback, so everyone can hear.

If you are buying Panda’s it should be because you don’t want other people to hear what you are listening to... somehow u can still hear the environment around you, but they can’t hear you even when cranked.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #117 of 767
They sealed just fine for me.
The bass was NOT was I would expect from THX.
It had some punch but it did not feel right to me.
Slightly muddy.
I brought some Fostex TH-6XX Purplehearts with me to compare bass.
The purplehearts have much better bass.
Keep in mind the Purplehearts are semi-openback, so everyone can hear.

If you are buying Panda’s it should be because you don’t want other people to hear what you are listening to... somehow u can still hear the environment around you, but they can’t hear you even when cranked.
Okay. Interesting.
I'm wondering if you've ever tried the PM-3 and how you found their bass? My experience with the PM-3 is that the bass reaches a bit higher than other headphones (HD 650, DT 1990), so it sounds a bit thicker and maybe muddier by comparison at first listen, but once I got used to the presentation I actually like it very much. Maybe that's caused by resonances, I don't know. I don't find the PM-3 to be muddy at all. So I wonder how similar the PM-3's and Panda's bass are.
The Purplehearts are a pretty bassy headphone, no? I haven't heard them, but I'd imagine since they're semi-open that they have bass more like an open headphone?

Anyway, I'm not trying to discount your impressions, I'm just trying to get a sense of your frame of reference.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #118 of 767
Okay. Interesting.
I'm wondering if you've ever tried the PM-3 and how you found their bass? My experience with the PM-3 is that the bass reaches a bit higher than other headphones (HD 650, DT 1990), so it sounds a bit thicker and maybe muddier by comparison at first listen, but once I got used to the presentation I actually like it very much. Maybe that's caused by resonances, I don't know. I don't find the PM-3 to be muddy at all. So I wonder how similar the PM-3's and Panda's bass are.
The Purplehearts are a pretty bassy headphone, no? I haven't heard them, but I'd imagine since they're semi-open that they have bass more like an open headphone?

Anyway, I'm not trying to discount your impressions, I'm just trying to get a sense of your frame of reference.

Never tried PM-3.
Purplehearts have tons of face-rattling bass, Purplehearts have slightly muddy bass compared TH-900mk2 sapphire blues, but the pandas are muddier than the Purplehearts.
It’s not really fair to put them in the same category though because Purplehearts are semi-open, but when I see the THX label, I expect greatness.

if you are coming from an AKG-k702, the Pandas will seem like bass monsters.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #119 of 767
Okay. Interesting.

I would say bass is maybe on par or better than the HD 6XX but harder hitting on the Pandas..but something about the Panda’s bass just doesn’t feel right to me.
I haven’t had owned a DT1990pro in a couple years, but I remember those headphones being very detailed and accurate.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #120 of 767
I brought some sunglasses with me to test this, did not have any issues. I don’t think my ears are particularly big so can’t answer the big ear question, but the pads did seem quite large.
Thanks! Hopefully, pad openings are big enough. And hopefully, the bigger pads mentioned (by @WillBright if memory serves) would be available sooner rather than later...

That is pretty much MY use case. At work listen to music and/or in bed watching Z reviews for entertainment before falling asleep :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back