Drop + Sennheiser HD8XX - now in final form
Oct 30, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #46 of 68
It seems like when the 8XX was announced, everyone was hoping it'd basically turn out to be an 800S with all of the big problems fixed. But in hindsight, why did we ever expect that in the first place? If Senn was able to make an 800S but better, they would just do that on their own and charge more for the improved version. And instead what we got is a less expensive version that isn't as good, and in hindsight, it's obvious that's all we should have expected.
everyone needs to take a closer look at their amp and dac instead of blaming the headphones :wink:

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #47 of 68
everyone needs to take a closer look at their amp and dac instead of blaming the headphones :wink:
Go further ‘up’ the chain also…the source: CD player, CD transport, DAP, streamer…

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #49 of 68
I was interested until I heard it has more bass.

I’m a sensitive femboy fox and I need minimal bass :xf_cool: :fox:

HD600 and 560S both have the perfect amount to me. I wouldn’t want more.

I’m still looking at 800S and considering it but the “bright neutral” signature and “bright” price tag are encouraging me to just stay with 600 which I do like a lot, my favorite headphone so far and I don’t get the complaint about sound stage. It’s still larger than closed backs, and it seals the sound better, I think.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #50 of 68
Disagree. Listen to how the headphones sound first and whether it's your preferred sound or not above all else. Other than providing transparency and enough volume headroom, choice of source and amplification is only adding "colouration", but shouldn't be the determinant of a headphone sounding like crap in stock form.

E.g. All the Beats Studio I've heard were never better sounding than my Modhouse Argon, and it surely won't get fixed with just "taking a closer look at my amp and dac". Headphones are to be blamed - no way around it.

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #52 of 68
After some casual listening with entry to mid level stuff and about 70 hours of the headphone to settle down I decided to get serious.
Feliks Audio Euforia (stock tubes) with Denafrips Venus II.
To make it short the HD8XX is, in my humble opinion, the best HD8.. version and easily one of the best dynamics in the market.
Muffled mids and stuff like that are a joke of course (no pun intended into any user).
Don't let yourselves be fooled by early reviews and YouTube influencers and certainly dish graph's and trust your ears.
You don't know what you are missing.
Seriously.
Full review will be available at the end of the month.
Till then I want to enjoy every possible minute with the loaner.

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #53 of 68
After some casual listening with entry to mid level stuff and about 70 hours of the headphone to settle down I decided to get serious.
Feliks Audio Euforia (stock tubes) with Denafrips Venus II.
To make it short the HD8XX is, in my humble opinion, the best HD8.. version and easily one of the best dynamics in the market.
Muffled mids and stuff like that are a joke of course (no pun intended into any user).
Don't let yourselves be fooled by early reviews and YouTube influencers and certainly dish graph's and trust your ears.
You don't know what you are missing.
Seriously.
Full review will be available at the end of the month.
Till then I want to enjoy every possible minute with the loaner.
Can't wait to see all the crying once you make the review.
As for me.. these are easily the least offensive cans i have when given a little EQ which is no problem in my pc-setup, without it they sound off to my ears. I just copied some smartypants EQ settings from the drop discussion and now i enjoy every type of music with them. Would of course be nice if they sounded like this out of the box, but i can't complain.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #54 of 68
Can't wait to see all the crying once you make the review.
As for me.. these are easily the least offensive cans i have when given a little EQ which is no problem in my pc-setup, without it they sound off to my ears. I just copied some smartypants EQ settings from the drop discussion and now i enjoy every type of music with them. Would of course be nice if they sounded like this out of the box, but i can't complain.
It seems that I am the only reviewer who likes them out of the box?
I have been listening to a lot of classical music with them and honesty don't understand why people think that they are out of tune.
Maybe a little tizzy at the treble and voices just not standing out in front as many people like them but honestly can't find any serious drawbacks.
I am tempted to say that I strongly prefer them to the Clear Mg.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #55 of 68
Can't hear the wall of sound that some people keep mentioning, they are not bright or harsh, no listener fatigue after two hours of continuous listening, mids not lacking, bass is certainly good (not a bass canon of course) with exemplary layering.
OK if I would like to criticize something is that they are on the lean side of things and dynamics not perfect but hey this is already known, it is an HD800 series headphone, can't change the personality.
And certainly and by no means I don't find them clinical or boring, on the contrary they very engaging, well at least with acoustic music.

Spoiler - There is no way that I am returning this back to Drop.
I am going to buy it.
End of review!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #56 of 68
Can't hear the wall of sound that some people keep mentioning, they are not bright or harsh, no listener fatigue after two hours of continuous listening, mids not lacking, bass is certainly good (not a bass canon of course) with exemplary layering.
OK if I would like to criticize something is that they are on the lean side of things and dynamics not perfect but hey this is already known, it is an HD800 series headphone, can't change the personality.
And certainly and by no means I don't find them clinical or boring, on the contrary they very engaging, well at least with acoustic music.

I am going to buy it.
End of review!
Have you tried them with your Violectric V590?

Nov 10, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #58 of 68

I am going to buy it.
End of review!
Yup, not returning my either, they are now entrenched in my headphone stable. They had another stint yesterday as Tuesday's headphones at work. :)

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #59 of 68
Does anyone know if it is likely that the HD8XX will still be available on Drop next month or January 2022? I was going to buy them this week but bought concert tickets instead, lol. If the HD8XX is still available within the next 5 - 10 weeks I think I will buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back