Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,231 of 1,383
I got the new EP-FX10 tips for the FDX1 a while ago, I really like them. Super comfortable and a good upgrade to the FX9 tips.
I was comparing these and the Senn HD58X today, and it's crazy how the FDX1 is a better technical performer than those. Never thought I would prefer an IEM to a full size open back, but I do. Without EQ I like the Sennheiser tonality more, but with EQ the FDX1 is definitely better in terms of technical performance and sound quality, it's pretty close to what I remember the Focal Elex being actually. I'm now looking for a systemwide parametric EQ solution for mobile devices, too bad I can't use Equalizer APO on iOS or Android.
Roon is one that will give you EQ on iOS but you have to be in Roon ecosystem. Sonarworks has iOS app but I guess it works with music you own and Spotify.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,232 of 1,383
Roon is one that will give you EQ on iOS but you have to be in Roon ecosystem. Sonarworks has iOS app but I guess it works with music you own and Spotify.
@DivineCurrent

Boom has a decent EQ, TIdal/ spotify integration and it has a couple on the go features that i like, its not perfect but i prefer it over roon, roon its just way too demanding (for me, since i stream everything nowadays)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,233 of 1,383
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I actually already got USB Audio Player Pro on my LG V40 for mobile listening, it has EQ and everything I need. But I wanted to find a systemwide solution for online video watching (Mostly Youtube). There is a default EQ in settings for Android I can use, but it only has fixed bands I can't adjust. Luckily it has a 4kHz band which is what I use the most with the FDX1, but there are other spots I want to adjust too like 5-6 kHz that are a tad too forward as well.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,234 of 1,383
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,237 of 1,383
A successor to the FDX1 would sure be nice 👍
Check out the Unique Melody UM 3DT
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/unique-melody-3d-terminator-3dt-announcement-thread.949402/

That one is a nice upgrade IMO, although, like the original FD01 it needs some work to get the best out of it.
A better cable, a simple mod (adhesive filter on nozzle) and finding the right tip is necessary IMO to get the best out of it.
The result is a very clean and clear sound, smooth, detailed, very good timbre, exceptional clarity, very good separation, soundstage and imaging.
Bass is boosted with focus on sub-bass, lower mids are a bit recessed/lean, upper mids/lower treble smooth but quite prominent, smooth upper treble, not forward, not recessed.
Excellent for female vocals and classical music.

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,238 of 1,383
A successor to the FDX1 would sure be nice 👍

Why mess with perfection? :)
I've really tried to find a better dynamic driver IEM than the FDX1, but even more expensive ones don't sound as good to me. I thought the Dunu Zen would be it, but it's too rolled off in the high air treble and it has a very large 7kHz peak that even with EQ has a weird resonance. The FDX1, while not perfect, you can at least EQ the 4kHz peak because it is a very wide bump, and there is zero distortion in it's drivers. You can basically make it sound however you want, that's why I love it so much. It's also not too boosted in the bass, while most dynamic driver IEMS bump that bass up way too much for me.

The only complaint I got for the FDX1 is the soundstage/imaging is not very big. The Kinera Nanna 2.0 I tried has a larger more natural stage, but the Nanna also didn't have nearly as clean bass and tight sound as the FDX1.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #1,240 of 1,383
I have noticed some parts of my JVC HA-FDX1 corroding. Has anyone got the same experience on their units? The weird thing is, only the right ear piece has got some rusting.
How long have you had it? Mine has spots on it (though really small spots) where the metal has lost its original coloring but it still looks nice (still silver), I like it.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,241 of 1,383
How long have you had it? Mine has spots on it (though really small spots) where the metal has lost its original coloring but it still looks nice (still silver), I like it.

Going 3 months now. I barely use it, never used it outside the house, can't remember any instance where it got wet. I'm not really sure what caused this.

The corrosion can be observed near the corner where the JVC HA-FDX1 is printed, not on the silver part. How about yours?

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,242 of 1,383
Going 3 months now. I barely use it, never used it outside the house, can't remember any instance where it got wet. I'm not really sure what caused this.

The corrosion can be observed near the corner where the JVC HA-FDX1 is printed, not on the silver part. How about yours?
What color is the place where the corrosion has occurred? I have lots of little areas where the metal finish has been scrubbed but the underside is still silver so it looks alright. I THINK this has to do with our ears or the oil/earwax in them because when we insert them into our ears the part where the model name is written also comes into contact with the inside of the ears I think.

Other than this, I have little chips or cuts, very small, in the edges of the backside of the shells.

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #1,243 of 1,383
What color is the place where the corrosion has occurred? I have lots of little areas where the metal finish has been scrubbed but the underside is still silver so it looks alright. I THINK this has to do with our ears or the oil/earwax in them because when we insert them into our ears the part where the model name is written also comes into contact with the inside of the ears I think.

Other than this, I have little chips or cuts, very small, in the edges of the backside of the shells.
It's on the corner of the gray-ish part. Not on the silver where the name is printed. You might be right, although I don't see how the oils would reach that area.

Attachments

• iRVjYmxl.jpg
    iRVjYmxl.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back