Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,171 of 1,383
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,172 of 1,383
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,173 of 1,383
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,174 of 1,383
Thanks, do you guys think it's worth going for the updated Spiral Dot ++ model, the JVC EP-FX10 instead of EP-FX9?

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #1,175 of 1,383
Thanks, do you guys think it's worth going for the updated Spiral Dot ++ model, the JVC EP-FX10 instead of EP-FX9?
The ++ version is much softer than the FX9. So it doesnt fit as many iems, since it is so soft that it doesnt grip very well and the same goes for your ears. They are on the other hand very comfortable IF you do get a good seal with them. In terms of sound I do like the FX10 more.

1615851317977.png

more info in my database.

Although I think that if you want a treble boosting tip (which the wide-bores FX9/10 do) you should go for the Radius deep mount tips instead.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #1,176 of 1,383
I got some stuff from Moondrop today, and since I think someone (@IEMusic ?) asked for impressions of their filter on other IEMS I've also ordered the KXXS' filters to try it out on FDX1.

editer2.jpgediter1.jpg

The first thing to notice is the filter won't fill completely the FDX1's nozzle mesh, I'd say it covers around ~90%. The grill screams quality compared to the similar plain metal mesh grills that I got from Aliexpress. The damper material seems cotton-ish instead of nylon-ish and they added an extra anti-clogging layer, so very likely you won't face the moisture build-up going quieter issue using this filter.

edited3.jpg
I've tried to capture their dampening proprieties against the light, as you can see it tames the light quite well.

Measurements:
(disclaimer: BOYA mic + vinyl tube. It's not comparable to IEC711 measurements but for modding proposes only it does its job in capturing the changes quite well)
1a.png2a.png

I use the green damper on FDX1 regularly (in my case the one with the most dampening material), so I used that for reference. I thought the filter would only tame the upper-mids just like the classic micropore tape but it also takes a bit of the mids (around 2dB) too and it keeps the treble res a bit better than the green.

The first impression is very positive. I like the green filter the most because I think the mid-range tonality in the stock white filter config goes shrill very easily at loud-ish volumes, despite it having more details I prefer to sacrifice the details a bit to get a more correct mid-range presentation with the green filter. With the Moondrop KXXS' filter and the 3-4 songs I've tested so far I perceive the same increase in warmth but more details compared to the green.

So far so good, If I get new nuances I will update this post.
Just ordered a set of KXXS filters to try out. Do you replace the original mesh with the KXXS filters or do you double stack them?

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,177 of 1,383
Just ordered a set of KXXS filters to try out. Do you replace the original mesh with the KXXS filters or do you double stack them?

White filter + sticking the KXXS filter on the top of the original mesh. You'll notice a gap but turned out this gap helped to keep the air frequencies intact, unlike the most dampening filter.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,179 of 1,383
White filter + sticking the KXXS filter on the top of the original mesh. You'll notice a gap but turned out this gap helped to keep the air frequencies intact, unlike the most dampening filter.

How has your experience with the Moondrop filter on the FDX1 been till now? I kinda agree that I miss some of the airiness on the FDX1 with the green nozzle (most dampening).

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #1,180 of 1,383
How has your experience with the Moondrop filter on the FDX1 been till now? I kinda agree that I miss some of the airiness on the FDX1 with the green nozzle (most dampening).
It's been my favorite choice overall (stock and SD++ eartips). Despite it addressed my 'issue' with the airiness extension I also like how it adds a little warmth at the lower mid-range area, which helps male vocals to sound more full-bodied to my taste. But as always YMMV.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,181 of 1,383
For the most part, I like the sound with the Moondrop filters, but now I can’t remove them w/o pulling off or tearing the underlying foam.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #1,182 of 1,383
For the most part, I like the sound with the Moondrop filters, but now I can’t remove them w/o pulling off or tearing the underlying foam.
I thought so too. Question: what tips do you use with your FDX1? Currently I'm using the Final E type tips with the nozzle that has the least amount of filter (blue in my case). The Final tips seem to tame the treble a bit and add some extra quantity to the bass region.

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,183 of 1,383
I thought so too. Question: what tips do you use with your FDX1? Currently I'm using the Final E type tips with the nozzle that has the least amount of filter (blue in my case). The Final tips seem to tame the treble a bit and add some extra quantity to the bass region.
I do as well. I like the Final E tips best.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,184 of 1,383
Apr 13, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #1,185 of 1,383
anyone using FDX1 with qudelix-5k ? how is it ?
Great! I use a balanced cable and boost the deep, sub bass, and treble air but 1.5-2 db. I also cut a narrow notch by 2 db at 4kHz. None of that is necessary with the green filters, it’s just for fun and a extra soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back