DROP + HIFIMAN HE-X4 PLANAR MAGNETIC HEADPHONES
Sep 3, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Drop has these for $109.00 now, down from $129.00.

https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he-x4-planar-magnetic-headphones
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I got a set a couple months ago just to replace my 4-XX's which had an unfix-able low-freq buzzing in the right channel. For the money they're a no-brainer and even more so now. Not the most resolving cans and a little spicy in the sibilance zone but if you want a basic planar with double sided magnets (rather brittle ferrite, not neodymium like 4-XX as far as I can tell) and want the basic smooth syrupy planar sound these are pretty darn good. Sound is pretty close to the 4-XXs.

Just a short review:

Build quality is very good, mine is solid in all aspects build-wise.

My first impressions were: sliders good and easier to move than my 4-XX and stay in place; pads are like soft marshmallows (in a good way--these aren't the Focus A's of the 4-XX but a newer, much softer pad); clamp is very gentle (they must have used 5-XX frames for these as the 4-XX has a much firmer clamp). Headband padding is the same as 4-XX and with this can being around 400g, it can get weighty after a bit but nothing too bad.

Sound-wise, it's a pleasing planar signature with the caveats as above. They are pretty hard to drive and do much better with some real current. My Shanling M6 Pro 21 with 760mW at 32Ohms does a very good job out of the 4.4mm balanced connection but I get more bang out of my Schiit M2U. I can imagine with even higher wattage (and some EQ) into these you might have a bit of a giant slayer (for $109!!!) on your hands. Bass-wise, if something calls for it these will deliver although a bit rolled off right at the bottom. Mid-range is good but micro-details, while there, may be lower in the mix than other aspects. Vocals are good but not HD-6XX. Again, higher current is going to somewhat remedy these shortcomings. Highs are good, nothing to really note other than there can be some sibilance at times but nothing too bad.. Sound-stage is pretty nice.

I've done some minor mods that have helped: I attached a Sennheiser OEM headband pad to the headband using some small velcro strips. With the Senn pad installed I have to push the sliders all the way open but it works pretty well and the clamp is still fine. This mod makes for a more comfortable, somewhat disappearing set as it distributes the weight across the top of the head a bit better and pretty much eliminates the head top hot-spot. It can easily removed if so desired. I also swapped over my oval Brainwavz Hybrid Memory pads. They fit my ears better and are still very comfortable softness-wise and may clean up the sound signature slightly. I've also taken the thin film dust covers off the screens and I think it might add a bit more openness, while maybe taking away slightly from the coherency of the sound stage. Also installed a KK Cable II-SO balanced 4.4mm cable for use with the Shanling's 4.4mm PO.

Anyway, I'm really not shlepping for Drop here, just noticed the price decrease and wanted to report that these are pretty good headphones. My set was very well made (just avoid poking around in the Magnet area) and are a nice replacement/addition for the 4-XX with a fairly similar sound.

Attachments

• 20210903.jpg
    20210903.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 202109032.jpg
    202109032.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 202109033.jpg
    202109033.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 11
3 month follow-up: Still using these almost daily. Great synergy with my Shanling M6 Pro 21 on Turbo Gain (760Mw at 32 Ohms). Can always use more power--over 1W recommended-- but still good with the Shanling. Something about these cans--I'm finding that the longer I wear them in a given session, the better they sound. Just a fantastic value-- clean sounding all-arounder with plenty of solid bass, nice mids and good highs, that sounds great with any type of music. I think they have improved over the last three months-- a more refined sound--burn-in or brain-burn in, who knows, but I've grown to really like them.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 11
New review:

https://headfonics.com/drop-hifiman-he-x4-review/

I think these cans fly below most radars but those that know them realize how good they are. Mine are daily drivers and are the least ear-fatiguing set that I own. I use them more than my EDXS's.

The customizations: oval pads and Senn headband pad (see my previous postings) really help, along with nice, inexpensive balanced copper cables and getting some good output into them. They really match well with my Shanling M6 Pro 21.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Enjoy listening to mine. They do well with many types of music. Acoustic/solo vocal music, which is mostly mid-range, does sound more distant rather than immediate compared to my AKG K612 Pro headphones. I still wear them quite regularly when not listening to speakers, though, and have downloaded an app so I can tune them to try and bring the mids a bit more forward.

Very comfortable. I have had them for long enough that I had to clean the earpads of a good deal of lint, and they are holding up well. See my signature for my setup. Actually contemplating some Sennheiser 6-series headphones to round out my set in search of that intimate midrange. If you're into that quality, I think the HE-X4 requires modding or EQ.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 11
Well, I might as well bump this thread, because there must be more than just me listening to these headphones. Really functioning well with my Schiit Vali 2/JJ 6922 at the moment in low gain. Mids coming through nicely and in comparison with my AKG K612 Pro, I am really enjoying the broader spectrum because there is more of the music there with the HE-X4. It's probably my hearing changing day to day. That's probably why I own two different headphones and will be getting more.

Just listened to Depeche Mode's song, "Somebody," and I can't remember ever being so entranced by the noises that make the backdrop of the song. Just some amazing detail retrieval from this pairing. Nice to find some synergy in components. This morning, HE-X4 and the Vali 2 are just singing.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 11
Not a fan of either the 4XX or 5XX - but a blending of the two which the graphs suggest might be going on - for $99 currently? That's interesting and perhaps good. At 90/91 db efficiency its similar to the venerable HE-500, which means 2 wpc@25 ohms or more to get them to fully launch. They will play off a DAP or cell - but the bass may not blossom.

I will note the headband is very similar looking to the 4XX - which has been on my HE-500's for years - and if the same or better crushes that floppy piece of junk on the XS and HE-6 SE v2 which is disgraceful.

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 11
Not a fan of either the 4XX or 5XX - but a blending of the two which the graphs suggest might be going on - for $99 currently? That's interesting and perhaps good. At 90/91 db efficiency its similar to the venerable HE-500, which means 2 wpc@25 ohms or more to get them to fully launch. They will play off a DAP or cell - but the bass may not blossom.

I will note the headband is very similar looking to the 4XX - which has been on my HE-500's for years - and if the same or better crushes that floppy piece of junk on the XS and HE-6 SE v2 which is disgraceful.
I have had them for a few years and found them quite comfortable. The headband has proven durable for me.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 11
FYI, for those of you interested in budget audio, the HE-X4 pairs quite nicely with the Schiit Heretic. Right now, that's a $158 pairing. Ridiculous bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back