Drop + Dan Clark Audio AEON Open X - Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #31 of 101
Honestly, Drop is a pretty awful company. I'm sure if you reached out to Dan he would try to fix it better than Drop. I'd just return from Drop. Everything I've purchased from Drope have arrived broken and their customer service and support are not that great. I kept my mouth shut in these cases, just requesting a return, but not purchasing from them anymore.

thanks for the feedback. I did like the aesthetic and comfort. I may have to look at buying a demo unit from him or going full monty with the aeon 2.

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #33 of 101

My first impressions of the AEON Open X. I really like these, and they make every track sound like a party. L-shaped signature with linear mids/treble and elevated mid-bass.

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #34 of 101
Honestly, Drop is a pretty awful company. I'm sure if you reached out to Dan he would try to fix it better than Drop. I'd just return from Drop. Everything I've purchased from Drope have arrived broken and their customer service and support are not that great. I kept my mouth shut in these cases, just requesting a return, but not purchasing from them anymore.
EVERYTHING has been broken??? How many times have you bought from them? I have gotten a crap ton of stuff, only problem I have had was the Elex ear pad screw up, and they are fixing that.

May 16, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #36 of 101
For those that have heard both the AEON Open X and HD650, in your opinion would the AEON Open X be an upgrade from the HD650?
Yes, and yes. I have the Senn 6XX (I also have the original 580 Precision and 58X Jubilee) and the AEON Open X. I like the 6XX, but (mostly) only love them used with my Bottlehead Crack. That combo is just so much fun. The Aeons are a step up in every sonic area and they tend to pair well with a wider range of gear.

The price difference between them is a fair multiple. For the difference you might be able to get a Crack and a nice DAC and live with the Senns happily ever after.

May 16, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #37 of 101
EVERYTHING has been broken??? How many times have you bought from them? I have gotten a crap ton of stuff, only problem I have had was the Elex ear pad screw up, and they are fixing that.
Yeah, I've been very happy with Massdrop/Drop. Most of my headphone journey has been supplied by them. Exceptional value. On the rare occasion I've had any issue, they've made it right, and then some.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #38 of 101
I am reading this and wonder if the items Drop takes away woul
9qJ8an6USGu8ssnjc1Df_1080x1080_MD-91248_01.jpg
vJfJa4mUS4KBtrOHF3TH_1500x1000_MD-91248_16(3).jpg
qgCChWtIRy6c4bL3PHVt_IMG_4241.JPG

https://drop.com/buy/drop-dan-clark-audio-aeon-open-x

Wow.

An improved version of the AEON Flow Open for only $499!

And they are shipping right now! You don't have to wait 6-12 months for them!!

It's a (day after) Christmas miracle!!! :santa::L3000:

Discuss.

Why are drop versions always have better reviews compared to the original ?
And cheaper .
With the Sennheisers , they are an older pair and I can see why they are able to make improvements and lower production cost .
now when I see a new headphone that I’m tempted to buy , I wonder if a mass drop version is coming soon ..

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 101
I’m in love. Was it love at first sight? Nah not really. But she did get my attention. What got me at first was the crystal clear highs with no sibilance at all. Vocals where they live in the track not forward not recessed. Bass seemed sufficient a little on the sub side. Soundstage very enjoyable and not near as wide as expected.

Now here is where this particular hobby comes in to play and why we love it so much. You see, at initial listen the set up was Black Ice Tube Dac - Jotunheim - Aeon W/se cable that came with the headphones. Let’s consider this a moment. What am I really hearing? I am hearing a combination of devices. Now consider also. Does the Aeon throw a massive soundstage? Not using a Jotunheim. Is the Jotunheim known for it’s massive soundstage? No. Does the Aeon reproduce the character and particular aspects the Jotunheim is known for? Yes? Where are those crystal clear highs coming from? That amazing Black Ice Dac. Is the Aeon reproducing them honestly? Yes. As for the bass, well - here was where I knew I was in love. One thing was changed and Cupid shot me through the heart.

I took this sweetheart to a formal dance and boy what a beauty she was in her balanced cable. Then, I was captivated.

With the Black Ice Tube Dac - Jotunheim (balanced xlr out) - Drop + Aeon (balanced cable) that sufficient and little on the sub side bass became a balanced coherent and correct bass. That just made everything come together in perfect harmony. This is when the smiles started popping off. If it brings a smile to your face I always consider that a good purchase.

So - at first sight she caught my attention and then I fell in love.

edit: Black Ice Tube Dac - Drop THX 789 - Drop + Aeon (balanced Corpse Cable) now that Black Ice Dac is shining through with all it’s tubeness. Oh! What is that? Yeah that added bit of THX soundstage. Very capable headphone, feed it goodness and be rewarded.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #40 of 101
I’m in love. Was it love at first sight? Nah not really. But she did get my attention. What got me at first was the crystal clear highs with no sibilance at all. Vocals where they live in the track not forward not recessed. Bass seemed sufficient a little on the sub side. Soundstage very enjoyable and not near as wide as expected.

Now here is where this particular hobby comes in to play and why we love it so much. You see, at initial listen the set up was Black Ice Tube Dac - Jotunheim - Aeon W/se cable that came with the headphones. Let’s consider this a moment. What am I really hearing? I am hearing a combination of devices. Now consider also. Does the Aeon throw a massive soundstage? Not using a Jotunheim. Is the Jotunheim known for it’s massive soundstage? No. Does the Aeon reproduce the character and particular aspects the Jotunheim is known for? Yes? Where are those crystal clear highs coming from? That amazing Black Ice Dac. Is the Aeon reproducing them honestly? Yes. As for the bass, well - here was where I knew I was in love. One thing was changed and Cupid shot me through the heart.

I took this sweetheart to a formal dance and boy what a beauty she was in her balanced cable. Then, I was captivated.

With the Black Ice Tube Dac - Jotunheim (balanced xlr out) - Drop + Aeon (balanced cable) that sufficient and little on the sub side bass became a balanced coherent and correct bass. That just made everything come together in perfect harmony. This is when the smiles started popping off. If it brings a smile to your face I always consider that a good purchase.

So - at first sight she caught my attention and then I fell in love.

edit: Black Ice Tube Dac - Drop THX 789 - Drop + Aeon (balanced Corpse Cable) now that Black Ice Dac is shining through with all it’s tubeness. Oh! What is that? Yeah that added bit of THX soundstage. Very capable headphone, feed it goodness and be rewarded.

Huh tube DAC with the THX 789, I've not heard that combo but ya know what it sounds like it would be pretty awesome!Thank you for sharing your thoughts I do enjoy the sultry word play as well haha

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #41 of 101
Huh tube DAC with the THX 789, I've not heard that combo but ya know what it sounds like it would be pretty awesome!Thank you for sharing your thoughts I do enjoy the sultry word play as well haha

I’m tellin ya! The Black Ice Tube Dac is an incredible piece of gear. Affordable and a game changer for your whole headphone collection. What it brings to the stage is an incredible amount of dynamic range with an extreme anolog sound. Digital smoothed over with realism and added ambience. Or better yet realistic representation of of what was recorded with the added benefit modern technology and a twist of old tech that should never be abandoned.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #42 of 101
I’m tellin ya! The Black Ice Tube Dac is an incredible piece of gear. Affordable and a game changer for your whole headphone collection,

I think I met the guy behind that company on year at Axpona, still I've have to reach out to see if he's willing to lend out a review sample so I can hear it. Normally a tube stage in a dac is sorta of a mixed bag... but if done well it can be really special and kinda magical! That may be the case here, tho Cayin original i6 Stack was nice, the tube out stage on their dac really opened up the sound of the iHA-6 Amp

Either way yea Aeon 2C could use a little mid range harmonics added in to help bring it a bit forward

Nov 5, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #43 of 101
I think I met the guy behind that company on year at Axpona, still I've have to reach out to see if he's willing to lend out a review sample so I can hear it. Normally a tube stage in a dac is sorta of a mixed bag... but if done well it can be really special and kinda magical! That may be the case here, tho Cayin original i6 Stack was nice, the tube out stage on their dac really opened up the sound of the iHA-6 Amp

Either way yea Aeon 2C could use a little mid range harmonics added in to help bring it a bit forward

I agree with the mixed bag as well as “but if done well”, let’s consider that. As far as done well the consideration has to go to the reputation of a legend Jim Fosgate that designed this piece of gear. That my friend is some credible (done well credentials).

I truly hope your efforts to reach out to Black Ice Audio nets some positive results. They are in transition at this time and I think persistence may be called for. I too will reach out and request they expand their exposure to other platforms such as HeadFi.

Regardless, in reference to the Drop+ Aeon it is very well suited to revealing just what you put into it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #45 of 101
I think it's mostly due to folks not having heard em, they were the Aeon Flow Open Retune before DCA launched the Re-Tune

Non the less if folks want to hear these PM me as I have a set that I'm happy to send out for week or so listens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back