Drop BMR1 Nearfield Monitor Speakers
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

DROP

Sponsor: Drop

New Drop Desktop Speakers Deliver Big Sound and​

Customization Options with a Minimal Footprint​

tUssSMTRjKTiQh0VS2TE_12437-copy.jpg

Radiant Audio, designed for the desktop​

It’s an age-old problem: your desk doesn’t have the space or aesthetic for full sized bookshelf speakers, so you look for headphones or in-ear monitors with the most “speaker-like” soundstage and “forget you’re wearing” comfort. Where is the sweet spot for personal audio, on a mid-fi budget? Drop is shaking up the audio status-quo once again with completely new and in-house developed Drop BMR1 Nearfield Monitors! We are pleased to offer customizable, high-quality desktop speakers to elevate desk setups for work and play. The Drop BMR1s feature a signature, holographic sound quality that creates a natural soundstage and excellent imaging capabilities, all in a compact size and an amazing price.

I7gvd1P0TVuqtUlzW9aT_9932-copy-final-contrast.jpg

Retailing for $129, the Drop BMR1s are designed around balanced mode radiators (BMR) coupled with force-canceling passive radiators, allowing them to play audio loudly, without distortion, and with a wide dispersion so the listener is not confined to a narrow seating “sweet spot” or a single speaker arrangement. They offer an organic and natural tonality, so the speakers are true to the source without sounding overly harsh or bright. If more low-end output is preferred, the Drop BMR1s can easily connect to a subwoofer for better bass and audio depth. If momentary privacy is desired or an internet call is coming in, a powered 3.5mm headphone output with microphone passthrough is included for easy access. For inputs, the speakers include a 3.5mm aux-in so they can be connected to virtually any source device, as well as offering Bluetooth compatibility for wireless and spontaneous connection to mobile devices and computers.

"We consider our community members knowledgeable enthusiasts who are passionate about their gear and curate optimal combinations of performance and design-focused products for their setups,” said Jef Holove, CEO, Drop. "With that in mind, we sought to design speakers worthy of our first entry into the category, and we drew inspiration from our mechanical keyboard community to incorporate the customization and personal expression elements in the speakers, which are so essential to enthusiasts.”

7090qR82SGujSUmqgq7P_pc.png
8uO2lc7lT4y5iYGeGYT3_10050-copy-final.jpg

Drop BMR1s Technical Specs:​

• Frequency: 80Hz - 24kHz +/-6.0 dB
  • THD: less than 0.40% at 1 kHz
  • Sensitivity: 83.5 dB
  • Amplifier Class D
  • RMS Power: 15W
  • Peak Power: 30W
  • SNR: greater than 95 dB (typical A-weighted)
  • Dimensions: 66mm x 100mm x 293mm (W, D, H)

Drop BMR1s Features:​

• Adjustable Orientation (Horizontal, Vertical)
  • Single BMR Drivers
  • Dual Force Canceling Passive Radiators
  • Wired connectivity with Bluetooth compatibility
  • Inputs – 3.5mm aux, Bluetooth 5.0
  • Outputs – 3.5mm headphones, 3.5mm sub
  • Isolation Stands

H5nxF4YcSLaHm8DxCkrX_12460-copy.jpg
The Drop BMR1s are designed to operate in two orientations (horizontal and vertical) to provide users flexibility in placement to accommodate their desk setups. Customizable magnetic grills will be available for purchase at launch, giving users more opportunities to personalize their speakers and curate their ultimate desk setups.

The Drop BMR1 Nearfield Monitors are available for preorder for $129, with preorder shipments arriving by late February/March.

For more information, please visit: https://drop.com/buy/drop-bmr1-nearfield-monitors

About Drop  
Drop is driven by a passionate group of creators and technophiles who tap into feedback and insights from its enthusiast community – millions strong – to design and curate Drop’s selection of products. Drop listens to, digests, and analyzes community feedback in the creation of Drop products, and collaborates with leading brands to improve upon existing products in a way that is relevant to the Drop community. Drop is continuously broadening its workspace product focus into new categories to ensure it brings its community the technology they need to thrive.

Last edited:
Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 46
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 46
They look amazing. Too bad @DROP is a nightmare to deal with and customer service is subpar at best. Just sayin....

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 46
And no EU store...

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 46
And no EU store...

You read my mind. I remember when Drop closed the EU store promising to open a new one better than ever.

Really?

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 46
Looks good.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 46
And no EU store...
When a company is encumbered with regulations and taxes that curtail growth, why play? (I have no idea why Drop has no EU store).

Personally, I love Europe. Tuscany is fantastic. I have several family members buried in WWI and WWII graves in Europe. Fallen, to better help you folks get along.

When a company chooses no EU store, there may be a reason.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 46
Pity there is no S/PDIF or Toslink inputs. I'd like to use this with a TV so I can ditch my soundbar.

Jan 5, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 46
When a company chooses no EU store, there may be a reason.
Typically its to avoid paying our taxes. Which does not make them too sympathetic to begin with, as you can imagine.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 46
Meh, tried the whole micro monitor desktop setup, even Genelec 8010s were disappointing. IMO for a desk rig you need to go big or go for headphones…

Harbeth p3esrxd
JLd108
Chord Qutest
Naim SuperUniti
WiiM mini.

Attachments

• 98C86D60-107F-49ED-B6FD-BD16D69ACA6F.jpeg
    98C86D60-107F-49ED-B6FD-BD16D69ACA6F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 46
Meh, tried the whole micro monitor desktop setup, even Genelec 8010s were disappointing. IMO for a desk rig you need to go big or go for headphones…

Harbeth p3esrxd
JLd108
Chord Qutest
Naim SuperUniti
WiiM mini.
You are missing a 12in sub.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 46
You read my mind. I remember when Drop closed the EU store promising to open a new one better than ever.

Really?
The topic does keep coming up, and Drop is aware of the desire for multinational expansion (again). There were some plans that changed when the pandemic started, but Drop hasn't forgotten about their EU customers.

Pity there is no S/PDIF or Toslink inputs. I'd like to use this with a TV so I can ditch my soundbar.
These ought to be an improvement over TV speakers, and it would be up to you to determine if the stereo separation and tuning of the BMR1 would be superior over your existing soundbar. However, many smart TV’s (or streaming media players) have RCA/3.5mm headphone jacks and Bluetooth (my LG TV does), so potentially you could connect them wirelessly to the TV and set them on a coffee table or tray table in front of you?

Actually, you just gave me an idea! My LG has an option to use Bluetooth to connect “rear” surround speakers, I could position these behind me and they wouldn’t take up much room… maybe they can pass the “wife acceptance factor”??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back