Driving with headphones?
May 17, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
Are you sure they are illegal in NJ?

NJ = the only place where it is illegal to drive wearing your cans while operating a vehicle but is legal to do just about everything else in your car.
Some of the worst drivers I found are in this state,and that are the least safe, take the most chances, and drive the fastest...(this incl NY,CA,AZ,RI,FL,MA)

shown here 3rd to last
and here as third worst in the states for dumbest motorists
and here shown as 2nd most expensive states for auto insurance, wonder why??
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, a friend of mine was killed in a car accident where some tool from E New B. cut him off the side of the road, the driver was not wearing headphones but was on her flipping cell phone though...

Pleeease be careful, drivers there are awful for the most part everywhere, no one got into an accident by yielding...
confused.gif

May 17, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

being a Canadian I know it's not illegal here, but if memory serves there was a discussion on this awhile ago. I think the consensus was that its only illegal in certain states, but probably not the best idea ever.

Haha I was about to say that you were incorrect, but after some research I found that Manitoba, the province where I reside, is the only province that bans headphone use. EDIT: Quebec as well.

Interestingly enough I also found that NFL is the only province to ban cell phone use. If only Manitoba and the rest of the provinces would catch up =\

May 17, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
I know it is illegal in California. Pretty sure it is illegal for the rest of the states as well.

From http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm

Quote:

Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

So does that mean if we wear headphones in only one ear, it's okay?

May 17, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 42
Yes, one side of the ear is ok. The reasoning being you can still hear emergency vehicles with the other ear.

Ever notice hands-free add-on devices for cell phones are only single sided ear pieces?

May 17, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #36 of 42
I am never seen in car w/o my KSC75 or, even worse, my closed K81. But that is much safer than driving slightly stoned (that was my constant habit in the late 80s & early 90's). Both is finally a question of concentration and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

May 17, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
man,
scary at least to me how many people think it is alright...well, i guess it's time to pick up the hummer h1 for self defense....

I'm with you on this one. I also like the people defending wearing headphones because it is better then another bad/stupid idea.

May 17, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
... But that is much safer than driving slightly stoned (that was my constant habit in the late 80s & early 90's).

how'funny!! Kudos goes to Nickchen for honesty and style points
wink.gif

May 17, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Is it illegal? Is it stupid?

I don't really see too much problem with driving with my KSC75s, because they don't isolate at all, if I keep the volume reasonable. But at that point I might as well wear my HF-1s. But those are really noticeable to other drivers who may or may not be police officers, so what do you think?

My understanding is that in most states it's illegal. It's stupid in all states!!
cool.gif

Edit: See this study.

May 19, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #40 of 42
Most states amended their laws to make using a cell phone headset legal, since the earphone exclusion prevented them from wearing anything. Some states allow one ear, some states actually say "completely hands-free" but that legislation is still pending (yeah, pending a payoff from lexus and their bluetooth integration)...

But it IS illegal in every state that I've found to wear headphones while driving (unless you are driving the fire truck, in which case you know there is an emergency by default).

May 19, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Is it illegal? Is it stupid?

It is not legal in Ohio but niether is speeding.....but that does not stop me from speeding

May 19, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #42 of 42
I actually wore my Sennheisser px250's (noise cancelling headphones) and found they increased my ability to hear other cars. Ok, technically I didn't have any music on - but they sit on top of your ear providing no isolation, and they cancelled out some of that constant my-car-on-the-road noise.
biggrin.gif
So it can be safe!...as long as you're not actually listening to music.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back