Driving with headphones?
May 17, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it illegal? Is it stupid?

I don't really see too much problem with driving with my KSC75s, because they don't isolate at all, if I keep the volume reasonable. But at that point I might as well wear my HF-1s. But those are really noticeable to other drivers who may or may not be police officers, so what do you think?

May 17, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Is it illegal? Is it stupid?

I don't really see too much problem with driving with my KSC75s, because they don't isolate at all, if I keep the volume reasonable. But at that point I might as well wear my HF-1s. But those are really noticeable to other drivers who may or may not be police officers, so what do you think?

I spend a lot of time driving in Ohio, Michiga, upstate NY (family in Cleveland) and I say you gotta stay alert, don't forget radar detector, don't let people tailgate in blinding snowstorms etc. Act accordingly

May 17, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 42
being a Canadian I know it's not illegal here, but if memory serves there was a discussion on this awhile ago. I think the consensus was that its only illegal in certain states, but probably not the best idea ever.

May 17, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 42
I don't know if it is illegal or not (although I would certainly HOPE that it is). But IMO it is stupid to say the least (as is talking on cell phones while driving).

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with people trying to take themselves out of the gene pool, it is the other innocent drivers lives they endanger in the process that really ticks me off.

May 17, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 42
I personally think driving with headphones on is better than talking on the cellphone while driving. I'd never recommend either though, especially talking on the cellphone.

May 17, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 42
well put it this way, perhaps you're playing your car stereo so ridiculously loud you cant hear anything (happens all the time), but instead you've got open cans on at a low volume so you can still hear some ambient noise. Personally I've used my KSC75 a couple times when I was stereoless for awhile, and as long as I could still hear it was nice to have even some music.

May 17, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 42
I've done the same when my deck was malfunctioning.

I've driven across the eastern seaboard with a pair of mx500 and a minidisc.

I think it's fine as long as the volume isn't too high; i dont see what the big deal is.

I noticed significant higher fuel economy/mileage when i did that as well.

May 17, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
I noticed significant higher fuel economy/mileage when i did that as well.

those aftermarket amps will draw ALOT of power, and thats a nice big drain on the alternator and the engine!

May 17, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 42
Illegal in NJ, that's for sure. Stupid? That depends on how good of a driver you are, and how much you are distracted by the music that you listen to. The risk isn't the isolation - there's really no difference between that and blasting your car stereo loud enough to drown out all outside noise. The risk is the distraction, and a more immediate/intimate presentation that headphones have is certainly more distracting than a lousy car system.

I drive with headphones on all the time. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea, or that someone else should do the same.

May 17, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Illegal in NJ, that's for sure. Stupid? That depends on how good of a driver you are, and how much you are distracted by the music that you listen to. The risk isn't the isolation - there's really no difference between that and blasting your car stereo loud enough to drown out all outside noise. The risk is the distraction, and a more immediate/intimate presentation that headphones have is certainly more distracting than a lousy car system.

I drive with headphones on all the time. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea, or that someone else should do the same.

Are you sure they are illegal in NJ?

May 17, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 42
Think about this: is it illegal for deaf people to drive? I'm pretty sure it isn't (at least here in Australia). So technically you could have IEMs in and it would still be legal. But then again I bet a deaf person and someone who was wearing IEMs would both be a a spot of bother (extreme understatement) trying to shift the blame if they were found passed out in a car crash (with the IEM person with his ears still plugged). I suppose the deaf person could always claim the deafness was a result of the crash
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back