Driving one HP amp with the output of another?
Aug 22, 2007 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vaper

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe this gets filed under stupid questions, but maybe not...

(I haven't tried/risked this, yet) What would happen if you took the output from whatever source, ran it into an amp and took the amp's output signal, and instead of driving a pair of headphones, ran it into a second amp who's output was then used to drive a pair of headphones. Would you be able to blend the sound of 2 distinct amps? Anyone?
blink.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 8
That is essentially what you are doing when you run a preamp into a headphone amp or an ipod headphone jack into a headphone amp. You'll amplify what you feed it, warts and all.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is essentially what you are doing when you run a preamp into a headphone amp or an ipod headphone jack into a headphone amp. You'll amplify what you feed it, warts and all.

Yes, but those warts sometimes are related to the inability of the signal to drive specific headphones, and when that signal is merely feeding another amp, bass fullness and even to a degree detail resolution can be revealed that headphones would not show. This is why it makes sense to amplify, say, an mp3 player signal at all-- you can improve the SQ produced by the headphones, and not merely as a question of loudness.

Certainly, it makes sense to improve source quality, though, as grawk implies. But double-amping is not really a negative concern in itself.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 8
You misinterpretted me. All I was saying is there was no harm, and giving examples of how people do it all the time.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 8
i think there could be harm if one of the amps have active ground

a similar question was raised a while ago and that was one concern, don't know the technical reasoning behind it though... maybe someone can explain why active ground may not work in this setup

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 8
The big question would be "Why?", apart from that active ground issue.

Seems to me that the best route is the original source driving the amp most suited to the load.

Combinations of offsetting errors to make things "seem right-er" frequently seem to be fine for a while, but in the end, the most direct chain is usually found to be preferable.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The big question would be "Why?", apart from that active ground issue.

you can control 2 heapdhones with one knob...

i ran my extreme out of my melos for a while. it was nice to have the hp1000 on the melos with the melos volume knob controlling both (via active output). the volume knob on the extreme was set so that hd650 would play at about the same volume as the hp1000. i thought there was a little difference in the high end, which makes sense because the melos has something of a penchant for the high end...

neither has an active ground though.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 8
I was wondering - would it be possible to connect a HP amp to the HP output jack of an integrated amp(and possibly bypass the HP amp's volume control)? I need more juice for my Senn 600's but would like to continue using my integrated to remote control the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back