Driving HD650 from DAC1's calibrated XLR!
Mar 21, 2009 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
I am using the calibrated output instead of the variable output. The bass and soundstage are all improved. The 'preamp' is SB3 via digital attenuation.

Has anyone tried this? thoughts?

My DAC1 is a post-2006 model with TI opamps.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 5
Interesting...what do you mean by calibrated ? I'm not familiar with the latest DAC1.

Peete.

EDIT: I just figured it out...calibrated to standard V for line level output (XLR being +4db vs single ended at -10db) ? Am I on the right track with that ?

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting...what do you mean by calibrated ? I'm not familiar with the latest DAC1.

Peete.

EDIT: I just figured it out...calibrated to standard V for line level output (XLR being +4db vs single ended at -10db) ? Am I on the right track with that ?

'calibrated' means setting the back-plate toggle switch to the 'calibrated' setting. Warning! please don't do this unless you have some way to attenuate the digital signal, else you may damage your HP permanently.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warning! please don't do this unless you have some way to attenuate the digital signal, else you may damage your HP permanently.

I think the OP said he was using his source to attenuate the signal. I also had the same fear that you did. My only concern for the OP would be maintaining a bitperfect signal from the SB3. But it sounds like a great idea if it works.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Digital attenuation may reduce the precision some what but I was genuinely surprised at how great my HD650 sounds, in absolute terms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back