driver rattling from millett
Apr 21, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 26
It may be possible (more knowledgeable people will have to chime in) that if the output of your souce is really high that the amp is in fact clipping. Or it just may be that the source (which you haven't told us what it is) is just junk and sounds distorted all the time.

Either way, glad to hear that it's working ok with the Ipod, I use my IPod most days with my Headroom Millett at work and it sounds sweet to my ears.

Nate

edit - dang, post #2000

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #17 of 26
How can I tell if it's clipping? congrats nate
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #20 of 26
Yes I am using an audigy 2 ZS, volume at max and im using the drivers from 1/24/06, and I just checked the website and theyre up to date. Ah, and here's another thing: I just started playing around with the onboard sound in the DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D, and it is still causing static. I'm also looking at the spectrum analyzer in iTunes (the thing with the bars that go up and down) and the 10-16 columns (looking from the left side inward and vice versa on the right side) are maxed a lot the play time. That has to be the cause. I'm gonna play with some gain settings to see what I can do. I have the gain set at 89dB.

Apr 23, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #21 of 26
Unless the PC version of iTunes is different, the level meter at the top just shows the level of the sound from the file. It has nothing to do with the actual output volume from the sound card. Do you have sound check on? That might make it seem loud at the iTunes meter. I know absolutely nothing about audigy drivers, but there should be an output level meter somewhere in the drivers. That's what you want to look at.

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #22 of 26
Nah, Creative doesn't have an output level meter. The nVidia chipset however does, and the output levels do spike up to the red levels. The static distortion is much less when soundcheck is on, and the meter shows it. Perhaps MP3 gain screwed up all my files? The spectrum analyzer in Foobar shows the levels just as high as in iTunes, so it has to be the files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back