Drive with most Accurate Ripping
Jun 17, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Excuse me but are the Plextor Premium CD-RW drives still being sold? Are there any merchants who are selling the external box version with USB2.0 interface?

I didn't realy look around at any popular stores, but they are available at Plextors onsite store. http://www.plextorshop.com/product.asp?sku=2407063

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 35
Edwood,

scanning through cdr.cz site I think they used CD Speed for that test. So, ideally in that bar chart you want a drive that has 100% good and 0% unreadable. They did not include the percentage figures for "damaged, but readable" blocks and that's why the Good + Unreadble don't add up to 100%. The missing portion is the "damaged, but readable" part.

To interpret the figures more fully, one can conclude:

- Ideally you want a drive that has 0% unreadble. This way all data is always able to be read properly (if the drive has working error detection/correction circuitry)

- Ideally you'd also want 0% damaged and 100% good. However, this is not as simple as it seems. A drive with lousy error detection accuracy may report a higher number of "good" and less "damaged", but still report bad data! As such, a graph like that must always be combined by looking at the statistical c2 accuracy of the drive. Another way to test is to use the CDRLabs method of ripping twice and comparing the number of differences. Ideally you'd want 0% differences. However, there are drives that report 0% bad, but still from difference detection they show as much as 78% of data being different. This means the reading is totally unreliable. The difference between reads also varies as a function of read speed.

- So combined, you'd want an ideal drive with 100% c2 accuracy. 100% good blocks read (hence 0% bad, 0% damaged) and 0% difference between two consecutive DAE rips. However, such a drive does not exist.

The best audio cd ripping dvd burner drives from CDRLabs/CDRInfo combined testing results are:

Sony 700A (diff: 0.16%, good 49%/unreadable 0%, c2 acc: 99.7%
Plex 712 (diff: 0.66%, good 30%/unreadable 0%, c2 acc: 74.69%)
LG 4082B (diff: 0.86%, good 15%/unreadable 0%, c2 acc: 75-79.6%)
* c2 accuracy data from LG 4081B (not 4082B, as results for that does not exist)

However, Sony 700A (LiteOn OEM) managed that by scanning at c. 2x, when others scanned at 16x - 24x. It also completely failed the second A-bex test disc and failed to read properly scratches longer than 0.75mm (when the Plextor managed 1.124mm scratches). LG failed even more in the scratche length test and as such I'd not get it for ripping badly scratched discs.

Again, the results are slightly differents from cdr.cz and CDR Info results, probably due to statistical nature of cd reading, different units, firmwares and most of all, different test discs.

The biggest problem with the above is that those tests only use EAC tools to rip audio. Plextools Pro useses a propietary command set on Plexto drives that is able to extract audio off really scratched discs by recovering best bytes and concealing errors. This works remarkably well.

The problem with PX-712 is that EAC does not support it's c2 accuracy calculation, although it exists on the drive.

Of course, if I could have all, I'd have:

- error concealment circuitry of Sony DDU1621 (superior up to 1.5mm scratches)
- C2 reporting accuracy of LiteOn drives
- Ripping speed of Plextor drives
- Plextools Pro in addition to EAC compatibility regardless of who's drive I choose

But again, such a drive does not exist.

So I choose several drives myself and recommend Plextor with Plextools to those who want good audio cd ripping and don't want to get lost in the world of cd audio ripping testing methodologies.

psxguy85,

it should not matter. I have used both and both work ok. However, you may experience higher cpu utilisation rates with external USB drive (this depends on your motherboards USB controller).

regards,
halcyon

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
psxguy85,

it should not matter. I have used both and both work ok. However, you may experience higher cpu utilisation rates with external USB drive (this depends on your motherboards USB controller).

regards,
halcyon

Okay, thanks. I only ask about the topic because I don't have a desktop, but a laptop, and it is only equipped with USB 1.1. I have a decently fast computer, but is it still worth it to get this burner?

Jun 20, 2004 at 10:33 AM Post #20 of 35
With USB 1.1 you'll be limited to 4x max on cd-r burn and perhaps even 1x on dvd burn (to be honest, I'm not sure how well dvd burn would work through usb 1.1).

Is it worth it?

Depends on what you want and what you want to pay.

It's a good drive imho.

Jun 20, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
With USB 1.1 you'll be limited to 4x max on cd-r burn and perhaps even 1x on dvd burn (to be honest, I'm not sure how well dvd burn would work through usb 1.1).

Is it worth it?

Depends on what you want and what you want to pay.

It's a good drive imho.

I don't care as much about speed as I care about quality and exactness of the ripping or burning. If I look at it from that standpoint, it shouldn't change whether I have internal, usb 1.1 or usb 2.0, right?

Jun 21, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 35
Correct. It should not matter. Sounds like your drive then
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by psxguy85
Dang I can't wait to get one now. Is there a cheaper online source to get the External besides directly from Plextor? I don't see them on eBay.

psxguy85:

Go to http://www.dirtcheapdrives.com . You can get a Plextor Premium CD-RW drive for $117.00 USD plus shipping and handling fees. That is a very good price and a nice discount from the $159 USD MSRP. I might pick up one this Christmas!

Jun 22, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #25 of 35
It really irks me... I bought a Plextor 24/10/40A CD-RW drive last year or the year before (?), but it didn't come with Plextools or anything like it (so I can't install Plextools Pro)... anyone have a suggestion? Plextor does not seem to sell the program.

Jun 22, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
psxguy85:

Go to http://www.dirtcheapdrives.com . You can get a Plextor Premium CD-RW drive for $117.00 USD plus shipping and handling fees. That is a very good price and a nice discount from the $159 USD MSRP. I might pick up one this Christmas!

Neat site, I also saw some great deals on Hard Drives!
icon10.gif

One question though, I saw the Plextor Premium CD-RW drive, but it didn't mention whether it was the external or internal version. If the internal is $117 at that site, I might as well buy it from Plextor because they have it for $99. The External is $159 at Plextor.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Neat site, I also saw some great deals on Hard Drives!
icon10.gif

One question though, I saw the Plextor Premium CD-RW drive, but it didn't mention whether it was the external or internal version. If the internal is $117 at that site, I might as well buy it from Plextor because they have it for $99. The External is $159 at Plextor.

psxguy85:

Sorry man, I forgot to ell you the $117 USD price is for the external USB2.0 Plextor Premium CD-RW drive. Get the cheaper $99 USD internal drive instead. I tend to make hardware recommendations from the point of view of a laptop owner.

Jun 23, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Yes, I'm looking for the external version. If it is $117, I will go for it, but it doesn't mention whether it is internal or external at that site.

psxguy85:

Why don't you send an e-mail message with a copy of the url to dirtcheapdrives.com? If you do so, then please report back to us on both the internal and external drive prices. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back