Dremel for Case Work
Jan 25, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 25
Some materials need high speed.

Power drills are unweildly for detail work. Plus, the amount of tips for dremels makes it a true multitasker.

Drill presses are better than the other options most of the time.

Stepped drill bits are the bees knees when it comes to drilling aluminum when I have used them. Made my life easier, especially with a drill press.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 25
A power drill is all fine and dandy if you want to make round holes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never bothered with step bits; my philosophy is "if you can't put a hole in it with a $10 set of hole saws, it wasn't meant to have a hole in it".

IMO, Dremels are popular with people because they're the immediately obvious choice for putting holes in most things, and the tool-of-last-resort for putting holes in things that a panel-nibbler can't/won't cut.

There might also be that "a Dremel is a hobby tool, but heaven forbid I buy a real drill, lest people think I know how to fix stuff" thing going on, as well.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 25
I have a nice "real" drill and a lot of bits, but half of the time I need to use it, I find myself thinking "man this would be easier with a dremel." Especially casework.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 25
I did the hole work for my Millet Starving Student with a standard power drill, a set of drill bits and a stepped drill bit. I was a bit rusty with a stepped bit and wound up with one hole being a small bit bigger than I needed when I didn't pull off soon enough but it still worked out just fine. I used a small round file for making adjustments where needed. All in all though it made working with the aluminum box quite a bit easier although I still would have preferred using a drill press (I just got bored and decided to do it myself at home rather than bug some people I know to see if I could use their presses).

I personally would not want to use a dremel for such things because I find it would be harder to control, steady or guide than a drill. I have seen a dremel press contraption which might make it a decent tool for case work but I don't know how big of a hole you can realistically cut with a single pass with a dremel.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 25
Dremels are great for ruining the finish on your nice anodized aluminum front panel
confused_face.gif

Seriously though, they're alright for that last 10% when you need to make a square hole for something like an IEC input module.

Step drill bits are absolutely amazing and since I bought one for building by Bijou (needed 7/8" holes in heavy gauge steel...) I've found countless uses for it. Amazing for creating recessed jacks and whatnot in wood where you need a hole that's a given size at the front but gets bigger to accommodate the part as the hole goes back.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 25
^Totally agree on the step-drill bit.
I paid a lot for a couple of Erwin bits, but really worth it when you need it, and seems to remove material so effortlessly.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 25
The only thing I use a Dremel for re: casework is to help grind out some of the rough spots when I'm making a square or rectangular hole fininshing out w/a file. Drill press w/stepped bit for the rest. Erwin's are kinda expensive but they last longer and make a cleaner hole, imo.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 25
My corded powe drill does the heavy work, but I clean up with a Dremel. The flexible shaft attachment really helps got into tight spaces, too. But for final finish work on aluminum, nothing beats a set of files and some sandpaper.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dremels are great when you don't have the right tool for the job.

Just like a hammer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My corded power drill does the heavy work, but I clean up with a Dremel.

That's what I do as well. Sometimes the parts don't fit like I think they can, so rounding out holes with a Dremel can work well. But only if I can be sure that any wayward grinding can be properly covered by the parts (washers around isolated RCA jacks, etc.)

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 25
there's the right toll for every job. Just like you wont use a router to do the finish on a wooded part, you don't use a power drill or fine details.

I own a Dremel, a regular drill, and a standing drill (+ a few others). While compared to the regular drill, the Dremel was very accurate, I hardly use it anymore since I got the standing drill, its very accurate, just for small details, and round cuts/traces.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 25
for detailed metal work i now use an abra file (tension file).

makes a perfect job.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're great for smoothing edges. And cutting square holes. And any place a drill doesn't easily fit. Very handy little tool.

How does one use a dremel to cut a square hole? Would like to learn this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back