Dream Theaterites... It is NOW official!
Mar 26, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
All of it's fans --

I HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN DREAM THEATERIZED!
biggrin.gif

Their album "Awake" has completely consumed me.
I hate "heavy metal" for the most part -- damn NOISE!

But Metallica and Dream Theater somehow transform it musically.
Both of the aforementioned bands have enough talent to do this.
biggrin.gif

Quite the contrary as to how I feel about Metallica's songs/albums...
It seems that I hate at least one part of every song on "Awake."
But as soon as I say that, a breathtaking part comes along!
biggrin.gif

It seems that every song I hear by them has a single saving grace.

The most notable example of how I feel about this is the chorus on "Voices."
As well as the part surrounding "Judas on the ceiling, the devil in my bed."
But I cannot help but feel distaste for the rest of this 9:53 "masterpiece."

Those two parts of "Voices" keep me coming back time and time again.
Every other song on the album is just as bittersweet, but I enjoy it!
confused.gif

Does anyone else feel this way (but for some reason cannot stop listening)?

The rest of the album, though, is slowly (but surely) warming up to me...

BANGPOD

Mar 27, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Virtuoso musicianship
Meaningful fusion of prog and metal
FUN references to other bands from both genres
Provoke amazing levels of disagreement among listeners

Doc Sarvis --

Could you please elaborate on that which you have said?
You raise some interesting points that I am unfamiliar with...

I await your response and thank you in advance...

BANGPOD

Mar 27, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Doc Sarvis --

Could you please elaborate on that which you have said?
You raise some interesting points that I am unfamiliar with...

I await your response and thank you in advance...

BANGPOD

I was listing some of the reasons why I think DT is such an interesting band.

In many ways, they have become standard-bearers for what's happening in the prog-rock world, given the complexity and evolving nature of their music, as well as the band members' side projects (especially Mike Portnoy - the drummer). At the same time, they remain true to their metal roots, thus they represent a fusion of metal and prog-rock.

Some have criticized the band for wearing their influences too much "on their sleeve", but I think that's part of the fun. Every DT song carries at least a subtle (sometimes not so subtle) reminder of one or more of the bands that the guys have listened to over the years (from Rush to Zappa to Iron Maiden to everything in between), all blended in with their own unique sound. Sometimes they have even taken this homage to he next logical level and actually recorded covers - their version of Master of Puppets is amazing, for example.

Finally, in terms of disagreement among fans, you will discover that DT tends to be a love 'em or hate 'em band. Even among their confirmed fan base, there is enormous variance of opinion on which albums - or which songs - are best, and once again it tends to be hot and cold; e.g., "I love Six Degrees but Train of Thought is the worst album I've ever heard", or vice versa - that sort of thing. There's another DT thread on the board right now with plenty of examples. Not sue why this band elicits such a strong range of responses, but they certainly do!

Enjoy! DT is a lot of fun and their music continues to reap rewards, even upon repeated listenings. That's a mark of a great band.

Mar 27, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 15
Welcome!!

Theyre my favorite band by far. Such diverse musicians and songwriting its hard to like everything they record... Just my opinion. I didnt really care for Derek Sherinian that much, but Kevin Moore and Jordan Rudess are incredible. Their sense of melody and harmony is incredible, Lots of U2, Marillion and Styx influences in their tunes... IMHO

IMHO next on your wish list should be their live DVDs... Scenes from New York, Live at Budokan, and their double feature Images/words and 5 years in a livetime. Ive heard bootlegs of their Master of Puppets gig and its incredible hearing petruccis transcription to the Metallica classics.

I love Petruccis Mesa overdrive tones, thick and fat
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Garrett

Mar 27, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Dream Theater's - Misunderstood from Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence album is simply stunning!
600smile.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 15
I thought this was about their new CD, Octavarium, coming on June 7th

Liquid Tension Experiment is basically Dream Theater without the cat getting neutered / vocals
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 15
I also thought this was about Octavarium. In that case, old news, pal!

I'm obtaining a copy of Awake and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence as we speak! Awake is supposedly their best album next to Scenes From a Memory, which I have an MP3 copy of an am in the process of getting a real copy of.

Mar 28, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Head-Fi'ers --

Which members belong to each of Dream Theater's side projects?
And are any of said side projects worth buying tickets to see?
confused.gif

BANGPOD

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 15
John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess have released an album together. It's just those two playing the keyboard and guitar together, but it has more of a classical sound to it. I like it a lot, it's very relaxing.

Also, Portnoy and Petrucci are in a band called Liquid Tension Experiment. To quote zachary80:
Quote:

Liquid Tension Experiment is basically Dream Theater without the cat getting neutered / vocals

edit: Petrucci/Rudess's album is called "An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Head-Fi'ers --

Which members belong to each of Dream Theater's side projects?
And are any of said side projects worth buying tickets to see?
confused.gif

BANGPOD

Liquid Tension: Rudess, Portnoy, Petrucci
OSI: Moore, Portnoy
Transatlantic: Portnoy
Jelly Jam: Myung
Mullmuzzler/Ayreon/Leonardo: LaBrie

LTE and Transatlantic are both GREAT!

Mar 29, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 15
...is great (Portnoy on drums) if you don't have a problem with the Christian lyrical content. Sounds like a Christian Spock's Beard - which is exactly what it is.

For those who don't know the story: Spock's Beard was the leader of the 90's "third wave" of prog rock. After a handful of well-received albums, and just as they appeared poised for a much higher level of success, Morse (the singer, songwriter, and guitarist) left the band - ostensibly because being in the band didn't synch with his newfound Christian beliefs. He also quit Transatlantic (another project with Portnoy).

Now, almost three years later, he's put out two Christian rock albums, that have to some degree found a crossover audience among Spocks Beard (and Portnoy) fans. Sounds VERY different from DT - much poppier and with no metal content.

Mar 29, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 15
Most Christian music these days is pop-rock. I don't like it, but I will admit they are very well recorded and mixed. If only we had this kind of quality when stuff like Led Zeppelin I was released.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess have released an album together. It's just those two playing the keyboard and guitar together, but it has more of a classical sound to it. I like it a lot, it's very relaxing.

edit: Petrucci/Rudess's album is called "An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"

Yeah thatss one of my favs.... Id like to get some K501s just for that CD.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back