Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Jun 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #544 of 597
When I went from 7X to 8X, it was $125. I'm sure Mitch will quote you a price if you call. The 8X design requires a fair bit more work than the others.

Personally, I've decided to part with my 8X. It's a great headphone, but not 100% right for me and I'd like to downsize my collection a little. (See my sig for classified posting).

I'm still looking forward to seeing average_joe's review. I've got a soft spot for underdogs who punch above their weight.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #545 of 597
Hi,

I've been following this thread and the Aud-5x sound like smth I wna get! I know this is ages behind the original posts but anyway. I'm currently using a pair of W4rs, do you think the mids and highs will take a beating in changing?

Also, is Mitch still around or busy atm? I dropped him an email yesterday and he seems not to have replied..

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #547 of 597
Hmm. like is there a massive deterioration in the mids and highs between the w4s and the aud-5xes. I suppose because I think of the w4s as learning a bit more toward neutral with a slight emphasis on the lows (or so I hear - I like my bass). So I like the sound of the aud-5Xes having bass presence, but am not sure about whether I want to trade the added bass presence for clarity in the mids and highs.

Also Joe would you know how the Spiral Ears 3-way sound?

Nope, unfortunately no reply from Mitch :frowning2: I've used both the website form and the email listed there. Is he away or something?

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #548 of 597
I have never A/Bed the W4 with the 5X, so I can't say for sure how they compare, maybe someone else can help with that.  I haven't heard the 3-way and are you asking about the pro or reference? |joker| has reviewed the reference.  I am not sure about Mitch's whereabouts, but I am sure he will get to you when he can; maybe he is on vacation.  I am sure he will get to you soon.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #549 of 597
Hmm I'm referring to the Reference. I think I saw his review, but other than that not many people have said too much about it, they seem more focussed on the 5 way! haha, but what I got from his review was that it is very bassy, but lacks in the highs.

Okay, will keep you updated, thanks!

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #550 of 597
Yes, his 3-way reference is bass heavy, and I would think more bass heavy than the 5X.  Speaking of the 5X, I am not sure it won't have the same or better clarity throughout the mids and treble compared with the W4, but I really can't say without A/Bing them.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #551 of 597
Yeah, I did take-away from the review that it was bass heavy and the highs were disappointing. 

The important things for me are bass presence and power, as well as soundstage and clarity in the mids and highs. With this in mind do you think the Aud-5X is a good bet? Or should I look for something like the UM Merlin.

Thanks so much for the help Joe! Really want to make my first CIEM buy a good one :p

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #553 of 597
Most CIEM companies, including Dream Earz offer a re-shell service. So you can buy somebody else's CIEMs and send them in with your impressions to be re-shelled to fit your ears.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #554 of 597
Quote:
Hmm. like is there a massive deterioration in the mids and highs between the w4s and the aud-5xes. I suppose because I think of the w4s as learning a bit more toward neutral with a slight emphasis on the lows (or so I hear - I like my bass). So I like the sound of the aud-5Xes having bass presence, but am not sure about whether I want to trade the added bass presence for clarity in the mids and highs.

Also Joe would you know how the Spiral Ears 3-way sound?

Nope, unfortunately no reply from Mitch :frowning2: I've used both the website form and the email listed there. Is he away or something?

Although Mitch is always bust juggling the business and his band, he never fails to answer my emails within 12 hours. Have you tried this email address? When I ordered my upgrade a few weeks ago, Mitch said that that it would be be completed within the normal Dreamearz time-frame. Let us know how you get on.

I neither have heard the W4, but have owned universals of a similar technical performance. The only one I've heard which bests the AUD-5X in terms of highs, is the RE-272. Some others have been at a similar level, but just different. In terms of mids, I can't think of any universal that impressed me more. I hope that helps.   

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #555 of 597
Yes he's actually replied me yesterday, a little over 2 days but could just be a really busy time for him. He was great tho, linked me to a head-fi er who's selling his 8xes and said I might want to consider that.

Ah right okay thanks for that! Am seriously stuck between the um marlins and these now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back