Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 26, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #197 of 1,192
Thank you!

So, I actually do own the Mojo, but I do not have any experience with the IE800's unfortunately so I can't help you there.

I am currently using the 1More Quad Driver which retailed for $199 back in 2017 ($149 today). It has fallen down in the performance rankings in recent years but I still think it has above average technicalities for the price, especially stage and separation.

So, I have never been a huge fan of the Mojo due to a few things; I am a stage and separation addict. Meaning, I like a vast and clearly contrasted experience where I can hear instruments in their own space on a larger canvas.

I think the Mojo is very mature sounding and very detailed but the way it achieves this is by sacrificing stage size and a sense of space. Everything is a bit closer to you as a listener almost to the point of claustrophoby.

There is also a lesser degree of 3D with the Mojo, it is more towards 2D in sound (less depth to the sound essentially). The upside is as mentioned before, greater detail retrieval of the "surface" of every instrument (more texture) but loose dimensionality in doing so (shape and form).

For these reasons, I even like the Red above Mojo but I am perhaps in the minority there. Cobalt, however, should be more of a tossup for most people. I have not used my Mojo for close to a year, at home or on the go.

Currently waiting on an adapter cable so that I can use my Oriolus Reborn ($900 Hybrid IEM with $200 copper cable) with the Cobalt, I have very high hopes for the combo. Also have a Jitterbug on the way.
Beautiful! Thank you. I too, definitely like a vast, open soundstage. I loved the DFR with my IE800 IEMs. But the issue with the Cobalt was the sound would cut off at very high volume levels (which never happened with the Red). Gordon Rankin at Audioquest has been amazingly wonderful in running various tests to see why this would happen, but could not come to a conclusion. I wonder if perhaps my unit (one of the very first units) was defective. It did have the wiggle issue in both the USB plug and jack port. I had to send it back, but I really wish I could make it work perfectly. ??

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #198 of 1,192
Beautiful! Thank you. I too, definitely like a vast, open soundstage. I loved the DFR with my IE800 IEMs. But the issue with the Cobalt was the sound would cut off at very high volume levels (which never happened with the Red). Gordon Rankin at Audioquest has been amazingly wonderful in running various tests to see why this would happen, but could not come to a conclusion. I wonder if perhaps my unit (one of the very first units) was defective. It did have the wiggle issue in both the USB plug and jack port. I had to send it back, but I really wish I could make it work perfectly. ??

I see, well my Cobalt also has a wiggle although it is tiiiiny, most likely not an issue. My Red has no wiggle whatsoever. I have not experienced any problems with my Cobalt yet but its my second day with it, so stay tuned I guess?

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #199 of 1,192
After some time with Audioquest Cobalt I would say it's pretty good, only thing it sounds a bit veiled/muted , "metallic" and bright. Aka it should have sounded more open, defined and organic with less distortion. But then if it had it would have competed to dacamps with a much higher pricetag..

Also running from a sony smartphone gives digital ticks regularly, unknown why. My other portable dacamp didnt. But neither usb or line out are loose on mine.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #201 of 1,192
Thank you!

So, I actually do own the Mojo, but I do not have any experience with the IE800's unfortunately so I can't help you there.

I am currently using the 1More Quad Driver which retailed for $199 back in 2017 ($149 today). It has fallen down in the performance rankings in recent years but I still think it has above average technicalities for the price, especially stage and separation.

So, I have never been a huge fan of the Mojo due to a few things; I am a stage and separation addict. Meaning, I like a vast and clearly contrasted experience where I can hear instruments in their own space on a larger canvas.

I think the Mojo is very mature sounding and very detailed but the way it achieves this is by sacrificing stage size and a sense of space. Everything is a bit closer to you as a listener almost to the point of claustrophoby.

There is also a lesser degree of 3D with the Mojo, it is more towards 2D in sound (less depth to the sound essentially). The upside is as mentioned before, greater detail retrieval of the "surface" of every instrument (more texture) but loose dimensionality in doing so (shape and form).

For these reasons, I even like the Red above Mojo but I am perhaps in the minority there. Cobalt, however, should be more of a tossup for most people. I have not used my Mojo for close to a year, at home or on the go.

Currently waiting on an adapter cable so that I can use my Oriolus Reborn ($900 Hybrid IEM with $200 copper cable) with the Cobalt, I have very high hopes for the combo. Also have a Jitterbug on the way.

Out of curiosity, what cable is used to connect to your source with Mojo? I had similar results with smallish soundstage, etc.
until I switched from using the supplied cable to an audiophile-grade - now.Mojo sounds world-class!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #202 of 1,192
Out of curiosity, what cable is used to connect to your source with Mojo? I had similar results with smallish soundstage, etc.
until I switched from using the supplied cable to an audiophile-grade - now.Mojo sounds world-class!

Audioquest Forest ($40 cable)

Last I heard, USB is the worst way of transmitting the 1's and 0's. (From a computer).

What cable are you using?

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #203 of 1,192
Audioquest Forest ($40 cable)

Last I heard, USB is the worst way of transmitting the 1's and 0's. (From a computer).

What cable are you using?

Curious Link I’m sure the Forest is a nice
step up from the supplied charging cable
- which I ve been using for a couple years.

Found & bought the Curious used. a few months ago - using it with my AQ Jitterbug -
no longer interested in changing the Mojo.

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #204 of 1,192
Just got mine. Love the open and detailed sound, mind you I'm coming from an Audioengine D3.

I am somewhat dismayed at the wiggle, but will keep it at least long enough to burn it in more before ultimately deciding if I will keep. And if so, should I exchange it for another in hopes of a non wiggler?

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #205 of 1,192
Wiggle-less DFCs are likely rare birds (or flies in this case). I went through 3 and they all did a little jig. The first one rattled too (that was not good). Perhaps it is a symbol of their real musicality. I kept my second one because I started to burn it in. I have to say that the DFC does wonders with my Sennheiser 6XX, and Campfire Comet. It makes them sound fantastic. My iFi Nano BL and xDSD don't quite do that. Do get me wrong. I love the latter two, but there's something very special about the DFC. $300 well spent for me. Economically speaking, I have already derived great musical pleasure and value from it. Yay! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back