Dr. Dre Tours as IEMs??
Mar 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

drummerboy04

New Head-Fier
I have the Dr. Dre Tours that I use with my iPhone, but I have also used them as IEMs while on stage. The problem is when I get connected with the sound guy I can only hear the mix out of one ear bud. I don't know squat about sound, but this doesn't seem right. The connection at the end of the Tours has 3 rings which i know is for left, right & the mic (for iPhone). Is it because of the mic ring that I can't get sound in both ears? Am I missing a different kind of adaptor to connect with the monitor system?

Any thoughts/suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone would like to add their 2 cents worth and give me their opinion on what you use as IEMs that would be great as well. I'm looking into getting Ultimate Ears, but if I can get the Tours to work I may hold off for a while. Thanks!

Geoff
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 15
Hmm wow yea that shouldn't happen. And if you're using some IEMs for live performance use I would actually get a um... a different pair of IEMs.

But the mix as in the whole sound? He might be doing something wrong on his end if you can normally get sound out of both earphones.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 15
wouldn't be my first choice for stage use but that's another issue

do both channels work for the iphone but not the mixer? The thing you described really shouldn't affect anything. The only adapter you need when connecting to the sound system from an earphone should be a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter but you should know that already.

have you tried a different input on the mixer?

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 15
4-pin 3.5mm jacks (like that on an iPhone headset) are sometimes longer than normal 3-pin jacks so don't line up when pushed in fully. Try pulling it out slightly and see if the other channel comes back.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 15
+1 on what bcpk suggested... I've faced that sometimes before on all my past my TF10vi iphone compatible earphones, pulling out slightly should bring sound back to both sides
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]small correction, i actually only recall having had this problem with the stock UE TF10vi cables (which I don't have/use anymore)[/size]

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't be my first choice for stage use but that's another issue

do both channels work for the iphone but not the mixer? The thing you described really shouldn't affect anything. The only adapter you need when connecting to the sound system from an earphone should be a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter but you should know that already.

have you tried a different input on the mixer?

Rawrster & Young,

Yes, I know that the tours are not the best solution here there's not doubt about that. For some reason every sound guy has mentioned that the reason why I only get sound in one earbud is because of the 3 rings on the Tours end. Like I said I don't know much about sound so that's why I'm posting on here.

I do use the 3.5mm to 1/4 adaptor when I plug in, but to no avail. The sound guys have only mentioned something about mono vs stereo and that I have a mono adaptor. I got the adaptor at Radio Shack and that 2 rings at the end. Hell, guys I dunno...that's why I'm asking! LOL!

Maybe we can dig a little bit further???

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnagali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 on what bcpk suggested... I've faced that sometimes before on all my past iphone compatible earphones, pulling out slightly should bring sound back to both sides
smily_headphones1.gif

Really???? Hmm never thought about pulling it out a bit. I'll give that try next week.

I think I posted something after you had responded so if you can take a look at that maybe that will help?? I dunno.

So if I pull out a little bit it will feel like I pull it into a groove? Like it would "click" into place?

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 15
/\ /\

Your sound guys equipment is broken, because if your headphones play stereo outta your ipod then they must work and its the sound guys stuff thats broken, or its a mono connection and your both idiots

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/\ /\

Your sound guys equipment is broken, because if your headphones play stereo outta your ipod then they must work and its the sound guys stuff thats broken, or its a mono connection and your both idiots

Yeah, we're the idiots yet you don't know the difference between you're & your. Didn't we learn that in 3rd grade?!? Thanks for the advice, d*ickweed.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 15
I was going to offer advice until seeing the above post.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to offer advice until seeing the above post.

Ethan961, how was he trying to help? He called me an idiot. How is that helpful?

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 15
If you have a mono adapter, I think that would only output 1 channel if I recall correctly?? Not too sure, but that what I thought...you're sound guy should have extra 1/8-1/4 adapters, could you try any of those (a guaranteed stereo one?)

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerboy04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, we're the idiots yet you don't know the difference between you're & your. Didn't we learn that in 3rd grade?!? Thanks for the advice, d*ickweed.

WHAT, wait a minute here lol

Now look at my post again, and replace whatever your, your're talking about and replace it with a your're... now does that make sense?

Because your are sound guy, or your are headphones sounds pretty stupid to me.

But anyways, i was just trying to help troubleshoot. And for a problem like this its pretty easy.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by henryhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a mono adapter, I think that would only output 1 channel if I recall correctly?? Not too sure, but that what I thought...you're sound guy should have extra 1/8-1/4 adapters, could you try any of those (a guaranteed stereo one?)

hey Henry, that's just it. We have different sound guys every show. Not a single one hasnt been able to figure it out. I'll look into the stereo adaptor thing.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT, wait a minute here lol

Now look at my post again, and replace whatever your, your're talking about and replace it with a your're... now does that make sense?

Because your are sound guy, or your are headphones sounds pretty stupid to me.

But anyways, i was just trying to help troubleshoot. And for a problem like this its pretty easy.

Still doesn't give you the right to call them both idiots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back