Dr. Dre -- I'm Losing Billions to Fake Beats from China
Jul 11, 2014 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/10/dr-dre-jimmy-iovine-beats-headphones-counterfeit-sales-china-lawsuit/

Dr. Dre -- who just made a fortune selling off Beats headphones -- wants to stop cheap, Chinese-made knockoffs from jacking his reputation ... so his company is suing alleged counterfeiters for what could easily be BILLIONS of dollars!

In the lawsuit, Beats claims a nefarious group of unnamed websites based in China ... are getting filthy rich selling cheaply-made, counterfeit headphones, bearing the red "b" logo -- and raking in more than $135 BILLION in revenue. 

Beats points out it's the headphone of choice for Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Diddy and tons of other celebs ... according to the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ -- so it has a vested interest in protecting its trademark.

Beats is suing to stop all sales of the forgeries ... and to take over all of the domain names used by websites hawking the fakes. 

Dre and co. also want ALL profits from the head-phonies. And that's no dim sum.

​

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 10
They won't obtain ****, no one obtains anything when trying to sue these Chinese counterfeiters.  And Beats does not expect to see a penny.  The sole purpose behind this lawsuit is to serve as a yet another marketing angle for the Beats headphones, drilling into the heads of consumers that 1) You must buy the real item to be truly cool, and 2) Look, we're so popular that even the knockoffs have sold $100 billion!!! 

Why else do you think the press release about a lawsuit would contain all of the celebrity endorsements in it (especially with the phrase "headphone of choice")? 

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 10
Whatever. Companies need to protect their assets, and for Beats their brand is their greatest asset, so what do you expect. Dre was one of the original people to go after Napster and now he's going after bootleggers. Even if they don't make money from this, it's important for them to send a message to any current or potential counterfeiters out there that they will come after you.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 10
Good luck, Dr. Dre. Tell you what, why don't your move to China and make $3 thousand a year doing heavy labor and then after not eating for a few weeks, spend $200 of that salary on some mediocre genuine Beats headphones. Then tell us how evil it is to buy knock offs of some American billionaire's phones and meant for those without cash to burn.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 10
Dre is a rapper and sampler and thus a massive hypocrite.

He made money sampling (copying or stealing) other's music back before laws made this difficult or illegal and now he whinges when someone does it to him.

But I cannot agree with this:

Good luck, Dr. Dre. Tell you what, why don't your move to China and make $3 thousand a year doing heavy labor and then after not eating for a few weeks, spend $200 of that salary on some mediocre genuine Beats headphones. Then tell us how evil it is to buy knock offs of some American billionaire's phones and meant for those without cash to burn.

So if you cannot afford something you are justified to copy it?

No. That's immoral and unethical and wrong and illegal.

I spent times coming up when I ate salt and oil for 2 weeks, but I did not steal.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Jul 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 10
I bet. That sounds horrible. On bread at least?

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 10
I spent times coming up when I ate salt and oil for 2 weeks, but I did not steal.

I guess murdering for food is out of the question then?  Must be lonely up there in the moral high ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back