Downtown Chicago Meet (3/18/06) Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2006 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
To all Head-Fiers who attended the downtown Chicago Head-Fi meet,

Please post your impressions of your gear in this thread. I just got home from the meet, and am too tired to post any impressions right now.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 55
First off

RANDY!!!!! OMG you had the location of a life time! I Never seen such a beautiful view of Chicago (sears tower skydeck is nice but this was better IMO)....
and Blue onion you did a great job co-hosting it...Awesome awesome meet!

OMG dude there was a Head-fi meet in the Hancock building..hahahahaha

Anyway I have lots of impressions but there is a story I told 1,000 times at the meet.
So I and Ray talked about bringing the K-1000's and hooking them up to my sixpacs with my g08 and Rays Stealth ...
So I bring these 33lb monsters and i set them up and Bias them before anyone came - everything going as planned.....
Ray walks in and sets up his gear and Gives me his Stealth and I ask him where his K1000's were (I don't have a set), he thought I had a set...lol
So Charles and I drive to Rays place in Skokie and fly back to Hancock..(1 hour wasted).
then there's something else...The k1000's were terminated so Ray had to cut the connecter off to allow us to plug them in...I see the wiring and I have about a 1 inch of separation between the four wires, but My mono blocks need about a foot and a half...
So the sixpacs and the k1000 sit mostly un used till Randy and I are talking and he says he has some speaker cable. Todd R and I did such a messed up job rigging these things to the amps it wasn't funny. but at least in the end it somewhat worked...lol hahaha (btw thanks that I brought my multi meter for the biasing cause nobody knew what the color codes where on the k1000 wire...thank god we had a guy that builds amps to think of that part..haha)
by the end of the meet Ray and I agreed we completely messed that one up together..haha thats team work for ya, but atleast it worked in the end thanks to Ray,Todd R,Randy,Charles,some clear tape on the gsx box to make sure the rigged wires didnt touch,and I ....i think I...lol
I think that k1000 rig was only because of alot of team work and some really bad planning.

I think I may be looking at the k1000's to buy soon...I really did like what I heard there (just like tkams at the Cinnci meet) I think if you settle down with a set and a great amp in a quite and relaxed place you may really find these to be amazing.

And Yes I heard the Shure E500's and as a Sensa owner I could not get a good seal but I will tell you that if you can get it then those are probably u.e./Sensa killers...really!
btw: i think My sensa's arw the perfect headphone..so the e500's I think beat them in sound stage. You can tell the Shure team really put the thought of hi-fi audio into them..big time.

The Headphile hf-1's were nice!!! darker and clearer then the Stock hf-1..I still wouldn't mod out my #4's but they were still nice.

Thank you Westone and shure for the awesome gifts..and thanks to Randy And Blue Onion.

Randy I will be more then glad to co-host a meet here one day if you would like, I need to hire a Starbucks girl and have a Cappuccino machine behind that bar..don't worry I will bring all of that..hahaha

OMG the view....OMG OMG..

More impressions later...I got two meetings tonight and Sally Missed his flight back, but he got another one shortly after...lol

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 55
I had plans on coming but I've been sick all day
mad.gif
. I'm about to try and eat something...wish me luck.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 55
Yes, indeed..........what a view!

It was great to meet a lot of folks who've communicated with me in the time I've been on Head-Fi and to listen to some wonderful gear.

Especially.......thanks to Randy for coming up with such a unique venue. The weather was especially magnificent, which allowed for those clear views. I got a fantastic shot of the Water Tower that could only have been taken from that vantage point!

Also, thanks for all of your kind comments and assistance, Ray! My son Tim said he had a good time speaking with Charles.

Of course, it was great to have the guys from Shure come and provide the prizes, too.

Somebody please PM me with a link to how to best use imageshack to post pics, and I'll get mine up ASAP.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 55
sejarzo, just put the URL of the image in between the
tags and you're all set.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 55
Randy, Thank you for providing us with such an opportunity. Today's experience will be one I reflect on for weeks to come, finally allowing me to make an informed amp purchase.

Thanks to everyone else who lugged all that heavy gear up to our little 44th floor get-together. So many fancy gadgets, so little time.

Now let's get those pics up so we can start bragging to the rest of the forum.
580smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
basshead.gif
rs1smile.gif
340smile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 55
As others have stated, the Venue was awesome. Randy and Blue Onion, job well done!

Thanks to all the friendly people who made my first meet a fun and informative time: Reynman - thanks for doing the legwork so I could remember where my car was parked
biggrin.gif
; Billy, for letting me spend a long time listening to your Meridian thru my amp - I was gonna try and slip it under my coat but I was afraid it was the only thing keeping your table from collapsing
eek.gif
; Ray Samuels, you are a very fun and knowlegeable person, and a great connosieur of pizza - thanks!; ToddR - an order will be forthcoming. And thanks to the guys at Shure; who even though I mentioned I don't feel like an "in ear" kinda guy, still let me win a pair of E4C's. I promise to at least give them a chance.
k1000smile.gif

I met a ton of other people whose names I probably can't keep straight (I'm old) but I had a heck of a time - heard a lot of good gear, got a lot of good tips and will probably lose another 50 wallet pounds. Thanks to all for making it so cool.

A_Sr.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 55
Ray admiring n_maher's handiwork in our budget system:

Ray_with_Nate_s_Millett_small.jpg

Magnum's fantastic "non-budget system"
icon10.gif
:

Magnum_s_non-budget_rig.jpg

"PLEASE let's not blow these things up......use the meter!!!!!" "Red is right, right?????"

K1000_rewire.jpg

Ray's Box-O-Bitty-Amps......hey, what's that HUGE SR-71 doing in here?

Ray_s_Box-O-Bitty-Amps.jpg

The view southeast toward Navy Pier......we could actually see the shoreline on the other side of the lake in Michigan:

View_from_the_44th_small.jpg

And the neatest view of the Water Tower that I've ever had (a true Chicago landmark that survived the Great Fire, for those of you who aren't natives):

Water_Tower.jpg

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Todd R and I did such a messed up job rigging these things to the amps it wasn't funny.

It was so ghetto yo
icon10.gif

Hey, at least nothing blew up!
I was kinda scared for your amps.

What an awesome place for a meet. The view was so overwhelming that I was dizzy for a while at first.

Well I was going to post some picts, but it look like you guys pretty much got the same shots. Mine are Here.

Ray, sorry about your dent. Just keep thinking about the Jessica video and try to feel better
biggrin.gif

It was great to see all you guys again.
Todd R

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 55
Hope to see all of those pics posted ASAP!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

My son told my wife that there would be a picture of me on the internet that would make her disown me.........
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

OTOH, he then explained to her that wearing the particular headphones in question would make anyone "exude geekiness"........
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo
OTOH, he then explained to her that wearing the particular headphones in question would make anyone "exude geekiness"........
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

You know its true, thats why you don't wear the 'phones in public (well, that and the army of amps needed to power the things). I had a great time at the meet. A big thank you to Randy and Blue Onion for getting this set up, and to the sponsors for their gifts. I kept quiet since I'm still quite a noob when it comes to this high-end stuff, but I'm enjoying it. Ray, you're son is an awesome guy and I'm glad I met him. I had a great time meeting everyone that I did. Hopefully I can make it to the next meet.

Tim

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 55
Well, I'm a n00b to headphones, so pretty much everything sounded great to me. I also lack social skills so I stood around like a ****** bag for a while.

I did have lots of fun though. Everyone that I talked to was really nice and it was pretty much a perfect location.

On my way there I saw my friend from Ohio with his girlfriend on their way to the observatory. I stayed after all you guys left and took pictures of the amazing view. I left the building right when the protest started so I took pictures of that, too.

Thank you, to everyone, for the awesome time.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 55
Wow - what a beautiful venue. It totally fit with the high-end gear on display. Thanks to Randy and BlueOnion for organizing and to everyone else involved in this meet. I'm glad a few people got to check out the DT770s/DT880s/CD3000s we brought, as well as the Porta Corda MKIII, even though we got there as things were winding down. I hope anyone interested in hearing that stuff got a chance to listen.

How awesome was it that Shure and Westone came with raffle prizes?!?! Incredible.

Special thanks to Randy for some insight into the Shellbrook line of amps. I no longer feel hesitant about purchasing an amp from them. Though I didn't have a lot of time to do more than a quick A-B comparison, I was quite impressed by the DT880-MaxiMoy combo. Thanks also to Ray Samuels for being generous with his time and letting us sample his fine line of amps.

Great meet guys. Much appreciated.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 55
Sorry I missed it. When I flew in Friday night my wife informed me that we had a wedding to attend Saturday afternoon. So much for headphone listening. Hope to make it next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back