Downgrading from the HD580 .. what are my options?
Jun 26, 2005 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mtkversion

500+ Head-Fier
I've used the HD580's for almost a year now and I've really enjoyed them, but I think its time for something new. I'm very simple when it comes to music listening so I just plug the headphones into an old Aiwa stereo receiver that is connected to my PC. I had a Pimeta amp for a few months but that really wasn't my thing. I just like to listen to music for music, not the " sound ".
eek.gif

Anyways, I'm really not using these headphones to their potential so I want to downgrade to something that will suit me better.

Now I will be using the headphones unamped so please keep that in mind. I mainly listen to hip hop/rock so something that will sound the best with that type of music is preferred. I'd also like to keep the price around $100-120. What would you all recommend?

Audiotechnica A500?
Grado SR-60?

Thanks for any help ...

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 24
Maybe it's better if you stick with your 580s. I doubt selling them for 150$ or less and buying something for 120$ is worth the trouble. If you like them, keep them. You dont know what you'll feel like when you get a pair of AT or Grados... you may like them or you may not. In this case, it seems that you are already fine with the 580s.

Jun 26, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 24
i'm an advocate of trying out new sound. sr60 is a good candidate since its very engaging so its sure to be about the music. if you can sell the hd580 for a decent price you can get two cheaper headphone infact.

edit: sr60 might not be comfortable as the hd580.

Jun 26, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 24
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Another thing I'd like in the next pair that I forgot to mention is COMFORT.

I listen for 1-2 hour long sessions so the more comfortable the better.

I heard the Grado aren't too comfortable but if the sound is worth it, I'll go with them.

Jun 26, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 24
You might want to give the Senn HD201s a try. Currently my main cans are the 580s, but I've been spending a lot of time lately listening to the 201s, and I've got to say that they are damn impressive for the price. They're not quite as comfortable as the 580s, but I've worn them for several hours at a time without any complaints - although they will bug you if you wear glasses.

Properly amplified the 580s are clearly superior, but the 201s can be driven by just about anything and present a more lively (but still well balanced) sound than the 580s. If you're not that into going full on with an amp and a hi-fi source, they may be just the ticket. Plus you'd save a bundle of money.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
I heard the Grado aren't too comfortable but if the sound is worth it, I'll go with them.

i think the senns are more comfortable. but i find the grados comfortable too. some people don't, i do, they dont give me problems at all. varies person to person.

Jun 26, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
i think the senns are more comfortable. but i find the grados comfortable too. some people don't, i do, they dont give me problems at all. varies person to person.

One thing the grados have going for them in the comfort department is how lightweight they are. Except of course the metal ones (325, PS1, etc.).

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 24
I'll throw in a vote for SR60s or the K240S. The SR60s will be easier to drive if not using an amp and more of a departure from the sound of the 580s, while the K240s will likely be more comfortable (it is to me, anyway) and will have a warmer, smoother sound. I find that both do well with rock, though the K240s would probably be better for hip hop due to the bassier presentation.

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 24
I'll suggest you the HD555 and the HD201 (I mean getting both)
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 24
I'd say its a tossup between the HD555s and the SR60s. If you like the sennheiser sound and enjoy the soundstage they have, go with the HD555s. They will sound great unamped, and will still have the sennheiser sound you've got with HD580s. And their comfort is amazing.
If you're feeling adventurous, the SR60s would be worthwhile. The don't have the soundstage of the sennheisers, but you get a more intense sound with punchier bass and treble and a cripser more upfront sound.
Either would be great for rock and hiphop. From what you've described, I'd lean twoards the SR60s, they're cheap and a great value. If I could have only one affordable pair of headphones, they would definately be it.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 24
k240s is tops for comfort. If you can find one used you can get BOTH it and the sr60!

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 24
I also agree that the K240S is a great choice. It will sound quite a bit different from the 580s, which seems to be what you're after. And they do sound really good, and are REALLY comfortable. If you're going to go Grado, I strongly recommend going with the SR80 over the 60 -- better sound and comfort, although niether the Grado sound or fit appeal to me personally.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back