Downgrading from Sennheiser HD 485 to 238 or PX 100
Mar 31, 2010 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

s0mnambulist

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of 485s that I've been very happy with for over a year. I use them for home listening. I went a long time without a portable player of any kind, but ever since getting an iPod, I've found that I spend more and more time listening on the go. I can't stand the stock iPod buds, but the 485s are just too big to lug around and wear while walking. So I've gone back and forth between horrible sound quality but good portability, and great audio but annoying bulkiness.

While I could keep the 485s and get an upgraded pair of earbuds, I'd rather find a good compromise that's slightly smaller than full-size and trade in my 485s and use the money toward the purchase. I feel like if I got something almost as nice as the 485s but more portable, I would probably not make use of the 485s very frequently anymore.

I've read through a lot of threads comparing the 238 and the PX 100. They both seem like solid choices, with the 238 being slightly higher end (although I've read some people prefer the 100s). So I'm pretty set on one of those two, probably the 238s. But my question is, would the difference in sound quality between 238/PX100 and 485 be drastic enough that it would be unwise to get rid of the 485s? Would it be more than, say, a 25% drop from the 485s? They are all open, and Sennheiser, so I imagine they'd have a fairly similar sound. I could deal with a slight loss in quality for the convenience and simplicity of having one pair of headphones that I take everywhere with me, but not a great loss.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by s0mnambulist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm pretty set on one of those two, probably the 238s. But my question is, would the difference in sound quality between 238/PX100 and 485 be drastic enough that it would be unwise to get rid of the 485s? Would it be more than, say, a 25% drop from the 485s? They are all open, and Sennheiser, so I imagine they'd have a fairly similar sound. I could deal with a slight loss in quality for the convenience and simplicity of having one pair of headphones that I take everywhere with me, but not a great loss.

The HD485 and the PX100 use the exact same drivers. So the primary difference between them is the frame. The difference between them shouldn't be huge, though the frame design is relevant to the overall sound of the headphones.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 13
I cant say anything about 238, but I can suggest px100 II over px100. I feel a wider soundstage, even stronger basses. Actually sonic difference is not much. But build quality (one-side-cable, beefier frame, better looking) is way better. Also it comes with a useable bag, unlike the originals.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 13
I got the 485 and the 100. More or less the same sound; 485 is smoother but the difference won't make you cringe.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 13
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm leaning more toward the 100s now since they are so similar to what I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kargi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant say anything about 238, but I can suggest px100 II over px100. I feel a wider soundstage, even stronger basses. Actually sonic difference is not much. But build quality (one-side-cable, beefier frame, better looking) is way better. Also it comes with a useable bag, unlike the originals.

It does look like a sturdier build and I definitely prefer the one-sided cable, but I really hate the in-line volume control. Silly I know, but for some reason I can't stand a cable to have anything built into it. Throws off my balance or something.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 13
Ugh, slight tangent, but does anyone that owns the PX100s know a 100% legit source from which to purchase them? Been reading a lot about the counterfeits and have pretty much ruled out a lot of eBay and Amazon sources.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Ugh, slight tangent, but does anyone that owns the PX100s know a 100% legit source from which to purchase them? Been reading a lot about the counterfeits and have pretty much ruled out a lot of eBay and Amazon sources.

BH Photo Video carries Sennheiser's entire line, all the way down to spare pads and that kind of stuff. Right now though they list the PX100 as discontinued and the PX100-II as Pre-Order.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Mar 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Just bought these. Include the carrying case and have the gray tab at the top in the photo.

Really looking forward to them! Thanks for the advice everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

It does look like a sturdier build and I definitely prefer the one-sided cable, but I really hate the in-line volume control. Silly I know, but for some reason I can't stand a cable to have anything built into it. Throws off my balance or something.

There is no volume control in px100 II dude? I hate those too, extra bulk, extra resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back