downgrading from 650: recommendations?
Aug 7, 2005 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
i'm probably going to get hammered for this but, i'm considering downgrading from my 650s. any recommendations? i need something circum-aural (fit around the ear), but hopefully lighter and less clamping. also a little leaner on the bass while maintaining the 'edgeless treble' and smooth, textured mids. i'm looking to spend less $ then a 650. thank you!

Aug 7, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
...i need something circum-aural (fit around the ear), but hopefully lighter and less clamping. also a little leaner on the bass while maintaining the 'edgeless treble' and smooth, textured mids....

Clamping force? Obviously you haven't worn your HD 650 enough. You can achieve any clamping force you want with a little stretching. (Just don't overshoot the mark like I've done -- this will result in flaking of the headband lacquer.) This will go hand in hand with a leaner bass, as you can simulate by slightly pulling the earpieces away from your ears.

The only other headphone with similar qualities such as edgeless treble and smooth, textured mids that comes to mind is the DT 880. It has a more pronounced treble and less present midrange though and sounds quite lean in comparison.

peacesign.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 20
If you like the Sennheiser sound, I'd recommend the HD-600. IME it did not grip as hard as the HD-650, although the weight is the same. The HD-600 was simply more comfortable to wear. In addition to the comfort factor, in some ways it is every bit as good a headphone. The HD-650 can be more defined, with better dynamics and extension. "Less veiled" is sometimes use. However, as a whole, I went a long time preferring the HD-600/Cardas cable to any of the HD-650 combo's. For some reason, the sound presented a better integrated whole. I've since managed to get the HD-650 into shape and have been getting good sound out of it. However, it's existence makes the HD-600 an excellent buy (since it pushed the price down), and you don't lose a lot, if anything, going that route, IMO.

Aug 7, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 20
i may take out another audition on the dt880 but i do remember them sounding thin.

as far as clamping goes, they don't clamp too much, i have had them for several months now, i guess this is a not a big issue. perhaps it is their heavier bass response that is making them a bit more fatiguing and less airy on my ears. or perhaps that is the affect of all headphones with the sound being created so close to the ear.

as far as the hd600, i had that for a while but found it a tad too bright on the treble.

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 20
If you can deal with a supra-aural pair, I'd recommend the Alessandro MS-2(i). Both are lean on bass (compared to the HD650) and the mids/highs are top notch. I like them a bit better than the HD650.

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 20
If you want something to sound similar to the HD650's, I'd highly recommend getting somd AKG K240S's. Even with the Zu cable, they are still cheaper than used HD650's. Plus, you can always contract someone to make you a DIY cable, which will be cheaper than the Zu.

Do a search, there are many nice threads with great things to say about these cans.

Aug 8, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 20
But aren't the K240s big on bass? I think dano is looking for something "leaner on the bass" from the HD650's.

DT880 looks to be the logical choice. However, without the right amplification they may exhibit some bright treble or so I'm told. At least bright enough to someone who thinks the HD600's can be bright.
blink.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
But aren't the K240s big on bass? I think dano is looking for something "leaner on the bass" from the HD650's.

DT880 looks to be the logical choice. However, without the right amplification they may exhibit some bright treble or so I'm told. At least bright enough to someone who thinks the HD600's can be bright.
blink.gif

Yeah you're right...seems like the DT880's or K501's would be great then. Personally, I think it's a toss up, they are both wonderful cans, but it seems the K501's are a bit thinner in the low end.

Aug 8, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 20
HD580... I was totally floored at the San Jose meet. Very lively, warm, present, dynamic can, when amped propperly. I had a very wrong impression from a previous demo session at good guys. I listened to several pairs, some OEM and others with different levels of mods. They all sounded superb, except for one.

Frequently can be found for $150 on ebay.

I know that ones on my wish-list.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back