Doubt for a warm IEM for Jazz music under 200$
Sep 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

jakerblues

New Head-Fier
I'm new in the forum, and it's the first time in my life I start a new thread. So, be kind with me 
normal_smile .gif
 (and with my English)

My current gear is: 
  - AKG K324p IEM
  - AKG 271 MKII + FIIO E10 Dac/Amp

The two headphones sound similar: it's a mid-type sound, and I really don't like it. So I decided to try something new. Since it's an experiment, I'd like to buy a IEM under 200$.

That's what I'm interested in so far:

1. Analytic sound: Phonak PFE 112,  Etymotic HF5
   2. Warm and sweet sound: Beyerdynamic DTX 101,  TDK EB950,  Yamaha EPH-100
   3. Bassy sound: I don't have in mind any IEM in particular

I've read plenty of discussions on those IEM's, including the big |joker|'s list. But I just can't decide by myself which is the best for me in this moment. As I said, I want to experiment something new.

I listen to a lot of music and I know that it's not possible to find an IEM that sounds good with everything. So I've decided that the priorities this time are Jazz and Funk music. In particular my perfect IEM has to sound best with the Bill Evans Trio music (Waltz for Debby album, if you know what I mean). As for funk, I mean Funkadelic, Parliament, Red Hot Chili Peppers, James Brown, and, why not, Ben Harper. So, as you see, I would like something that sounds very sweet and warm. The bass it's very important to me. Either in quality and quantity. Not an overwhelming bass of course, but still something that make you feel the vibrations of the Scott La Faro's double bass.

Any suggestions?

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 39
GR07 Mk2 sounds very good to me. They have nice sub bass with mid bass hump, clear but not too forward mids, and very clear articulate treble. For the jazz I listen to they are very good. In comparison the HFx headphones have more forward mids and treble that is detailed but quite as extended, and bass that is not as deep or as present. The PFE 11x series has similar bass to the HFx, more neutral mids but sharper more extended treble that I found slightly too piercing for me at times.

Comfort wise I also think the GR07 is the most comfortable, then PFE, and finally the HFx.

Isolation goes to the HFx an the other 2 a pretty much tied.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 39
A used ASG 1? If you don't mind the laidback treble and can get a good comfort, this one sounds quite natural, sweet, warm, and has plenty of raw bass power from the large dynamic driver without being a basshead IEM.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 39
I have found that the Etymotic Hf5 sound amazing for jazz (and just about every genre I've throw at them.)

The Hf5s take a bit of getting used to (since they are deep insertion IEMs) and some people don't get used to it. I have gotten used to it in just about a week. Being deep insertion IEMs, they have amazing isolation.

As long as you can get a good seal, bass is there. It's not a tactile bass, but a very balanced, detailed bass. 

I can't comment on the others you listed as I've never tried them.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 39
Count me in... Another vote for the Etymotics.

The most highly tunable IEM in your list.

Look up the NRB Mod to tune the Etys to your taste.

Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 39
The Monster Miles Davis Tribute owns for jazz. For jazz specifically it's better than anything I've heard. You can sometimes find it on EBay for less than $200, or during sales.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 39
I will personally recommend the RE262, and spend the extra 50 on an E11 or something. Those IEMS are still amazing to me. I have SM3s (supposedly better in that field) and sometimes I yearn for my old 262s. They just have this amazing sound to me that can't be replicated.

Sent from my rommed Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 39
Thank you all for the quick and interesting answers. I'll try to reply.

Quote:
A used ASG 1? If you don't mind the laidback treble and can get a good comfort, this one sounds quite natural, sweet, warm, and has plenty of raw bass power from the large dynamic driver without being a basshead IEM.

I didn't know that IEM. And I forgot to mention that I live in Italy. So availability is really an issue. The only IEM that I can buy are those in Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.it (it is the italian Amazon. It isn't exactly well-stocked in matter of IEM).

Quote:
GR07 Mk2 sounds very good to me. 

I will personally recommend the RE262, and spend the extra 50 on an E11 or something. 

Of course I read the reviews about those amazing IEMs. But like I said, availability is a problem. In particular I can't find any retailer in Europe (or elsewhere) for the VSonic GR07. I think the RE262 can be shipped to Italy directly from hifiman.us. But I will have to pay some extra money in international oversea shipping and custom duties. So it's a little out of budget, if you count the E11 in. Plus, if I order from the US, I'll have to wait at least a month to see my IEM. And I need them as soon as possible.
     Reading the CileOS's "Concise Multi-IEM Comparison" I noticed that the RE262 and the GR07 are in the same "Warm+sweet" category, where you can find also the TDK BA200. I found that I can get them from the british Amazon for 220€. It's a little out of budget but if they are worth the cost, I'll buy them. Do you know this IEM? And if you know it, how does it sound compared to the other two? Do it need amplification? 
    Another question. In the |joker|'s review I noticed the Yamaha EPH-100. In the review they are compared to the GR07, that wins on the mids crispness. In most reviews they are regarded as musical and "fun" IEM. What does that mean? Do you know them? They are available in Amazon.it, so I'm giving them a little thought.

Quote:
I have found that the Etymotic Hf5 sound amazing for jazz (and just about every genre I've throw at them.)

The Hf5s take a bit of getting used to (since they are deep insertion IEMs) and some people don't get used to it. I have gotten used to it in just about a week. Being deep insertion IEMs, they have amazing isolation.

As long as you can get a good seal, bass is there. It's not a tactile bass, but a very balanced, detailed bass. 

I can't comment on the others you listed as I've never tried them.

Quote:
Count me in... Another vote for the Etymotics.
The most highly tunable IEM in your list.
Look up the NRB Mod to tune the Etys to your taste.
Jim

Reading the reviews about HF5, I found that they don't have that much bass. There are quality bass, but what about quantity? What do you think about the comparison between the HF5 and the above  "warm+sweet" IEMs? 
    As for the tunability of them, I don't think that a filter can change the bass of an IEM. Of course with a filter you can pull down the shape of the spectrum in the treble part, so that it sound more dark, but that doesn't improve the bass (that's only my supposition. I haven't heard them with filters, but I saw the graphics on http://rinchoi.blogspot.it/2012/08/the-effect-of-acoustic-dampers-on-iems.html). 

Quote:
The Monster Miles Davis Tribute owns for jazz. For jazz specifically it's better than anything I've heard. You can sometimes find it on EBay for less than $200, or during sales.

The |joker| compare them to the Yamaha EPH-100 in his review. Do you know them? Because they are more in my price range.

I'm itching for your answers!

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 39
I am so confident about the Etymotic MC5 choice, that I will send you a FREE SET of Green Filters for them.

PM Me.

Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 39
I like both the iems in my signature for jazz.

Each are quite warm, with the Klipsch slightly less bassy and more detailed than the Beyerdynamics.

The MMX101ie are quite a bit cheaper.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

This. Their sound signature just seems to draw magic out of those kinds of genres. They can perfectly reproduce the atmosphere of a smoky New Orleans jazz club (I used to live around there), and the horns sound fantastic. Miles Davis' "So What?" sounds bloody amazing through them.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #14 of 39
Sep 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 39
I saw them. And I read something about them. And I think that they would be very good. But the price is too high. To the 300$ I also have to add, I think, 70$ for the shipping in Italy, and the custom fees. Furthermore, they seem too professional, and definitely I was searching for something more entry level. I will keep them in mind for the future (I'm still a poor student 
L3000.gif
).
      Do you know something cheaper (a dynamic driven IEM at this point) that sounds similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back