double post? double post?
Jul 25, 2002 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
I wonder what sort of keyboard slip results in a "double post". This seems to happen pretty frequently, but I've got 275 posts or whatever with no doubles, so I don't know how they happen and am really curious!
Who can explain this mysterious phenomenon?

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 23
I've been wondering the same thing. The board seems to have a no-multiple-posts-within-30-seconds built-in safety feature that's caught me the few times I've clicked the post button twice. Unless people have stupidly bad connections, I don't understand how they manage to double post -- they'd need to push the button multiple times at more than a half a minute apart.

By the way, while we're on board issues, does anyone know if it's possible to have the email notification option unchecked by default? It's really annoying to have to uncheck it every time I post. Oh -- and I know this isn't something the admins can fix -- wouldn't it be a lot better if the 'you are now going to your post' screen after you post a message included a link to the forum that you could click instead of having to wait for your post to load, then click out of it?

kerelybonto

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Oh -- and I know this isn't something the admins can fix -- wouldn't it be a lot better if the 'you are now going to your post' screen after you post a message included a link to the forum that you could click instead of having to wait for your post to load, then click out of it?

kerelybonto

I agree. It would be much better to have the option of going to the forum rather than your post.

I can't figure out double posts either.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto

By the way, while we're on board issues, does anyone know if it's possible to have the email notification option unchecked by default? It's really annoying to have to uncheck it every time I post.

go to user cp -> edit options

then select "no" from the option "Use 'Email Notification' by default?"

done
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 23
Aw, you're teasing me! Jude, at least, must certainly grasp the hidden mechanism of the double post...
tongue.gif
confused.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 23
Well, I appeal to the great moderator-gods for knowledge, and all I get is a custom title.

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 23
what confuses me more, is why people don't delete their double posts... it tells you exactly what to do at the top of the edit page.. click the delete check-box, and then the delete button, and... its gone
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
what confuses me more, is why people don't delete their double posts... it tells you exactly what to do at the top of the edit page.. click the delete check-box, and then the delete button, and... its gone
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'm not mistaken, posts can only be deleted by the poster within a short timeframe after having hit the submit button.

As a moderator, Dunc, you do have the option of deleting posts regardless of time after posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back