Double Helix Cables Thread
Mar 29, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #31 of 2,056
You didn't even ask me about the Chris Himself discount.  It's a discount that only applies to Chris, Himself.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #32 of 2,056
this thread makes me wanna buy some DHC cables for DIY :D 

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #33 of 2,056

Quote:
this thread makes me wanna buy some DHC cables for DIY :D 

I really wouldn't recommend that.

Making your own cables can be dangerous. You might burn yourself, or, God forbid, put an eye out. Things like that are best left to trained professionals like Peter.

Yeah, it costs a little more, but the money you'd save making your own cables would be cold comfort for being called "Popeye" for the rest of your life.

Just sayin'.

biggrin.gif

se

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #35 of 2,056
I solder like a excavator, i put on my headlamp and make sure I'm topless cuz real men solder top less with flux flying all over marking them battle scars
cable making is for real men with real sweat, best cables are made with sweat and manly tears!
Oh and I use my stove to heat up shrink tubes as opposed to a heat gun as I have found it to be more manly than using a blow dryer.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #36 of 2,056
I was clipping and trimming at a part that I was modding when I felt a tiny fragment of metal graze my eyebrow.  

WEAR YOUR GOGGLES KIDS

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #38 of 2,056
Lacking the headlight IMO

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #39 of 2,056

Quote:
I really wouldn't recommend that.

Making your own cables can be dangerous. You might burn yourself, or, God forbid, put an eye out. Things like that are best left to trained professionals like Peter.

Yeah, it costs a little more, but the money you'd save making your own cables would be cold comfort for being called "Popeye" for the rest of your life.

Just sayin'.

biggrin.gif

se

I watched a ton of those cartoons and never got that about his name until now
popcorn.gif

Quote:
I was clipping and trimming at a part that I was modding when I felt a tiny fragment of metal graze my eyebrow.  

WEAR YOUR GOGGLES KIDS

Quote:
Lacking the headlight IMO

Two in one:

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #41 of 2,056

Quote:
Quote:
I watched a ton of those cartoons and never got that about his name until now
popcorn.gif

Just wait'll you figure out why she's called Olive Oyl.
very_evil_smiley.gif

se

Different that this I assume
confused.gif
:

Olive Oyl is named after olive oil, used commonly in cooking or in salads. Segar's newspaper strips also featured a number of her relatives named after other oils, including her brother, Castor Oyl, their mother, Nana Oyl (after "banana oil," a mild slang phrase of the time used in the same way as horsefeathers, i.e. "nonsense"), their father, Cole Oyl, and Castor's estranged wife, Cylinda Oyl; more recently, Olive's nieces Diesel Oyl & Violet Oyl have appeared in the cartoons. Also among Olive's family are her two uncles, Otto Oyl and intrepid explorer Lubry Kent Oyl. Lubry Kent's gift to Castor and Olive, a lucky Whiffle Hen, led them into the adventure where they met Popeye. When Bobby London took over the strip from 1986 to 1992, he added the sultry blonde Sutra Oyl, Olive's cousin.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #43 of 2,056
Yes.

Where are Double Helix Cable located/based? Are they in the US? if not, are they worth the extra travelling distance over Moon and ALO audio? (I found them on Facebook and could locate them in Oklahoma US)

I need to have re-termination a HP1000 made to best possible balanced 2*3 male pins (thinking of the Furutech gold, or the Valab plug they use on their flagship cable). And I'm more looking for excellence in workmanship than having shiny plugs in stock.

I would also like a relatively cheap but reliable copper (but also considering silver...) adapter to bring it back to single ended when I'll want it to be.

Is copper headphone cable + silver adapter doing well? Mixing elements

Thanks, it's none other than Christ_himself who recommended made me discover double helix cables.

This is the headphone I would like to have re-terminated. The previous owner had a "respectable Hi-Fi dealer" do the job (after left channel on the Grado plug started to cut off)... and since I always wanted to have a balanced headphone well it'll be this one:

I would like to have made done a job similar to this:

Maxfazer's picture and HP2

But Alex from APS isn't around anymore... I would have asked him.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #45 of 2,056

Quote:
Yes.

Where are Double Helix Cable located/based? Are they in the US? if not, are they worth the extra travelling distance over Moon and ALO audio?

I need to have re-termination a HP1000 made to best possible balanced 2*3 male pins (thinking of the Furutech gold, or the Valab plug they use on their flagship cable). And I'm more looking for excellence in workmanship than having shiny plugs in stock.

What's your take on reterminating to 4-pin xlr and then two adapters for 4-pin xlr to 2x3-pin xlr + 4-pin xlr to 1/4" Single End?  Easier to transport imo, debate-ably less bulk on the end as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back