Double amping................amazing but why can't a single amp do this?
Jan 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Oregonian

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, so I have an E-11 fed from a iPhone 5 using EQ10 or Equalizer app (via LOD connector), then into the ZO, and out to my XB700's. Yes, I am a basshead. 

The thump is amazing, the depth and quality of sound is a thing to behold.

Why is this? 

Why can't a single headphone amp sound like this?  What am I missing? 

Edumicate me.................if it's simply that they CAN do this, but thus far have chosen not to, that's a perfectly acceptable answer. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 18
Few people want that much adjustment, so they choose not to.

Believe me, if any bass head (and from following that thread there are plenty of us) heard this, the demand would be there.

Y'all should try it sometime.........double amping, the new FOTM. :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 18
Because I have also done the same and I agree, the music is amazing with much better depth etc...the zo seems to add another dimension...I dont understand but I thought more individuals had caught on to this strategy

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Why don't you feed the Zo directly? Why use the E11 in between?

Hard to put in words just how much better the combination is.......and I loved the E-11 standalone before getting the ZO. Now it is simply untouchable doubled up.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 18
I have seen rigs using tube buffers.  I think they are usually unity gain though so they are more for adding the various types of tube harmonic distortions in front of an amp. I don't think the intent is to boost signal.  I have been thinking about adding one infront of my larocco PPA to "liven" it up a bit.  But the problem with these components (at least as I see it) is they can't be switch-bypassed out.  For me I'd want to switch the tube saturation on/off depending on my mood.  I don't think it would be the kind of component I could just plug in and leave... I'd want to fiddle with it.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 18
Because I have also done the same and I agree, the music is amazing with much better depth etc...the zo seems to add another dimension...I dont understand but I thought more individuals had caught on to this strategy

We're at the leading edge of something here. :cool:

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
OK, so I have an E-11 fed from a iPhone 5 using EQ10 or Equalizer app (via LOD connector), then into the ZO, and out to my XB700's. Yes, I am a basshead. 

The thump is amazing, the depth and quality of sound is a thing to behold.

Why is this? 

Why can't a single headphone amp sound like this?  What am I missing? 

Edumicate me.................if it's simply that they CAN do this, but thus far have chosen not to, that's a perfectly acceptable answer. 

Many do.

Many amps use a pre amp and then a main output buffer amp(driving amp). 

What you may mean are two op amps that aren't similar but will go well together? I guess thta that has been done.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 18
Many do.

Many amps use a pre amp and then a main output buffer amp(driving amp). 

What you may mean are two op amps that aren't similar but will go well together? I guess thta that has been done.

Had been only considering my small, myopic view of the world of portable amps. Of course there would be some higher end amps with that feature.

Still, for the portable crowd, this is something to behold and try.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 18
Well, the E12 uses two opamps...you could try it, see what you think.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 18
Well, the E12 uses two opamps...you could try it, see what you think.

Since I'm of the belief that you can never have enough stuff (check my signature) I'll likely buy an E-12 and give it a shot.

Based on the reviews I've read I doubt it will match the E-11/ZO double amp combo but what the heck, it's only money. :rolleyes:

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 18
well the ZO isn't neccesarily an amp, it uses Smartvector technology, so it's not double amping, I am a ZO addict, it isn't about the base? I love the way it boosts/colors the sound?

this is my iPod>CLAS>GS Voyager>ZOv1>ASG-1.2s!

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 18
How about govibe mba and fiio e11? 

Have been using the mba for a few months and i love it. My friend gave me his old e11 last week and the sound was quite different. I love both of them now and was wondering if its advisable to use both at the same time?

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
How about govibe mba and fiio e11? 

Have been using the mba for a few months and i love it. My friend gave me his old e11 last week and the sound was quite different. I love both of them now and was wondering if its advisable to use both at the same time?

Never tried the combo myself. You could give it a shot-interconnects are pretty cheap. Might cause some white noise though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back