Dorm Room Battle: A900 v DT 770 v AKG K271
Oct 25, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

AlexinExile

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for a good closed full size can for my dorm room. They need to block out sounds and sound great with electronica, IDM, and ambient music. These phones will be used with a ZERO DAC hooked up to a MacBook. I can get a another amp in the future. So my question is which headphone will suit my needs the best: A900, DT 770, or AKG K271? If there is another can I left out please let me know. I would be willing to spend up $300 for them.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 72
Beyerdynamic DT770. Soundly trounces the A900, much more comfortable than the HD25, and you can get one on Amazon for $114 and spend the rest on a pretty good amp.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 72
Good luck finding the Ultrasones for that price. Pro 650s for that price, yes, Pro 750s, good luck. Another vote for the HD25's if you end up not getting the Ultrasones.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 72
D2000's are nice for that type of music, but don't isolate too well, and will not stand up to the abuse I'm sure they'll get in a dorm room.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 72
The stock HD25 cable might be too short (1.5m) for a dorm room. Its length is just right for portable applications though. However, you could replace it with a longer one from sennheiser's website. HD25s don't really require an amp, and are smaller than the dt770s, so you can use them when your outside of the dorms.

If you plan to use your new headphones only in your dorm room, then I'd go for the dt770 05s on sale at amazon. You already have an amp, and they go good with your type of music. The 3m cable is better suited to getting around most of your dorm room. The money saved by going with these headphones can go towards something else you want. Maybe even hd25s.
dt880smile.png

Both the hd25 and dt770-05 are well built and sound great. I'd say that the HD25 isolates better, and that the dt770-05s are a lot more comfortable. I haven't experienced any of the other headphones you mentioned so I won't comment, compare, or recommend those. Another headphone, the dt150s, have been getting a lot of buzz lately, so you might want to check those out too.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 72
No love for the a900s? Why not?

How is the sound on the DT 770s? What amp is recommended with them?

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 72
HD25 won't work well for ambient because it doesn't have much soundstage. On the other hand, A900 and DT770s a supposedly have decent soundstage for closed cans and so will suit this type of music better. Also, HD25 will definitely be less comfortable than the other options. Overall, I think that you should not consider the HD25, unless you will also want to use it portably - it's the best closed can out there for portable use IMO. If so, then HD25 may be the right balance between great portable headphone and a decent dorm can.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 72
I already have a ES7 for portable so I think the HD25 is now officially off the list. I just need to decide between the a900 or DT 770 now. Has anyone owned both?

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 72
If you are going to use an amp, you should also consider AKG K271. They sound a bit lifeless unamped, but with an amp they might be the best sounding closed headphone for the price. They are really, really comfortable as well. I have never heard them with an amp, but they are very refined, smooth and big sounding for closed headphone even without one - just somewhat flat and boring. Now, I hope the people who heard them amped will chime in and give better opinions on what these cans are capable of.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to use an amp, you should also consider AKG K271. They sound a bit lifeless unamped, but with an amp they might be the best sounding closed headphone for the price. They are really, really comfortable as well. I have never heard them with an amp, but they are very refined, smooth and big sounding for closed headphone even without one - just somewhat flat and boring. Now, I hope the people who heard them amped will chime in and give better opinions on what these cans are capable of.

And they are a nice step up from A900 and I also preferred them over Denon D2000 which I sold afterward. Not sure about new version of DT770, will have one in a week to compare, but pretty sure K271S will keep the crown.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, velour pads are a must for comfort and better bass.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 72
For the lolly, the AKG 271s's are excellent cans. Also they are pretty reasonable here in the US--check out ebay.

They are accurate, clear, and remind me of good studio monitors, but they do have some warmth to them and pianos on them are to die for. Bass is lean, but I suspect that is so because of how well balanced the sound presentation is with these phones. For closed headphones, these are my first choice. Velour ear cushions are highly recommended.

Amplfying the 271s's is a really good idea. I amp mine with a Decware Zen Head or a Total Bithead for portable applications. My cd player at home is a rather high end beast and has a terrific built-in headphone amp.

For your 300 bucks, you could get an AKG 271s (doesn't matter what series and the 272 is pretty much the same thing) and a Headroom Total Bithead (which includes a DAC) and is a great entry level headphone amp/dac.

But if you are a bass hog, you need another can. AKG 271s sounds great for claasical, jazz, pop, most rock, and is excellent for movie soundtracks.
The AKG 271s is not the headphone for the headbanger, metal head, punk rocker, house musuc, sort of dude or dudette. But there are probably metal heads who love the AKG 271s (like me, but I must confess, for metal I go Grado 325i).

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 72
I use the K271s with my LD I+ right now and i listen to all sorts of electronica.most PSY/GOA/IDM/Ambient and i think they are PERFECT. I also think the zero dac/amb would be a great mach from what i have read. correct me if im wrong.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 72
Bass is rather important for me, as is soundstage. I am leaning more towards the DT 770, but can someone rank the isolation from best to worst for the a900, DT 770, and K271s? There seems to be no love for the a900s any more... or are they just not the right can for electronica and ambient?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back