Dork Factor in Public
Apr 17, 2004 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this has been discussed before, but the search being down, and me being bored has caused me to revive it anew. If mods think it should go in CI, so be it.

I was out today with my new portable setup, D-33 --> CMoy --> HD280. Had it set up on a table outside a Quiznos Sub store while waiting for family to emerge from Tae Kwon Do. Some guys pulled up in a car and immediately started laughing out loud and pointing very obviously at me. I just smiled and leaned back. Screw 'em, it sounded good. They started blaring music loudly for some odd reason. I didn't care, though, I couldn't hear anything with my wonderful cans on. Only problem is that I discovered the D-33 to have pretty much no protection against shocks whatsoever. I've got an AZ6832 coming soon, so hopefully that fares a bit better.

I know someone here uses or used a K1000 as a 'portable' setup; anyone else got any good stories?

Oh, also, does anyone know of a good way to carry older (i.e. bulky) Discmans, an amp, and CDs around fairly easily? I was thinking a backpack, but it seems a tad overkill. I did discover some shorts of mine just fit the D-33 when shoved in the right way, and another smaller pocket can just fit a jewel case. The amp fits in fine in any of the pockets. My brother suggested I just go like that, with wires running from pocket to pocket, and while I admit it'd be rather amusing, it's not the most comfortable thing in the world.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 9
Stephonovich, perhaps some small camera bag might work. I have a small square one which would accomodate a manual SLR camera body and pancake lens. I'd imagine something slightly larger than that would do it.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 9
For my denon I use my denon carrying bag. I guess anything similar would work. it's a simple bag with a neck strap. You need to adjuste the strap to it's not too low where there is a lot of movement and not to short. If you run you hold it by the stap in your hand it provid some suspension that making it skip less. If you just walk slowly and wandering I usualy put it around my neck or under the arm. After some practice with how to move around it practicaly skip free. Well maybe my denon is just skip resiliant.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't have any dork stories.

I have carried a Panasonic with a mint meta in this cheap cd player bag I found at WalMart. It has a neck strap and a front pocket with space inside for CDs. Actually with only a few CDs in thin cases there is room inside for my round mint meta and the 8 pack of double A batteries that powers it.

Another system I use is a safari vest from Cabellas. CD player in one pocket with a cable to another pocket where the amp is.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 9
If someone laught at the HD280 I wonder how they would react to jacklin float http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=68711
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 9
I have a Minolta camera bag that holds all of my MDs...but I think a large purse might work, if you're not afraid of being called bi or gay.

You could get a small messenger-bag type apparatus and that would have ample room for all of your audio needs.

p.s. I took my D-EJ915 and boston acoustics BA4800 4.1 speakers to school one time and wore them around...uh...yeah...*explodes* I had a huge extension cord if you're wondering.

Apr 19, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 9
If I manage to win a contest I entered about 100 times, I'll have this awesome armored (don't ask me... law enforcement and military use it, though) backpack. It looks awesome, and would be good for carrying stuff. Heck, you could fit a PPA and massive D-cell pack in there if you wanted.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back